drez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dre
Drive
Galant type S 2000
Boys n girls,

Need opinion please//
Have any of us thought about replacing our plastic BOV with nissan s15 metal BOV.
Reason being:
nissan stock metal case BOV go around for $ 20-80 second hand.
evo mr BOV goes for : $ 150-250

Will this be suitable replacement?
Im still finding out the diameter size on these BOV from my old forum nissansilvia.
Hopefully it'll bolt straight on, if not some pipe reducer wont cost much either.

cheers

Attachments

• Image082.jpg
    Image082.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 227

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
If they are suitable I want one, don't really wanna pay $200 for an evo one. Why do the nissan guys sell them? just because they want one with a sound or because they are shit?

drez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dre
Drive
Galant type S 2000
i read somewhere that this BOV is good for anything up to 18psi (to be confirmed)
but the main reason we wanted to swap our one is because ours might leak under boost isnt?
so this will be an alternative.
But im not sure if this suitable ??

more pics

Attachments

• 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 215
G

Unregistered
The bottom looks pretty similar, probably made by the same parts supplier.. possibly Tomei?

Just try it out and see what happens.

drez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dre
Drive
Galant type S 2000
well im really thinking about buying one of this second hand s15 bov
I owned s15 in the past too, wish i still have the car so i can just take it out, and fit it on

i mean, BOV its just BOV isnt?
any technical issue on spring rate and all that when stock s15 compare to stock evo?

i am so tempted to buy and fit it on now

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
the fittings looks the right size so it should fit no worries at all, you can't hurt anything by trying it

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
reading on nissansilvia.com it seems the stock S15 blow off valves have a bleed hole in them that needs to be plugged up to handle more then stock boost and then they can only handle 16 with the whole plugged.

drez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dre
Drive
Galant type S 2000
reading on nissansilvia.com it seems the stock S15 blow off valves have a bleed hole in them that needs to be plugged up to handle more then stock boost and then they can only handle 16 with the whole plugged.

yes that's correct
plugging the hole its not a problem, all we need is only a screw to be put in it.

so unless we boosting up our car pass the 16psi then this BOV should be ok.
I am going to find 2nd hand of this unit and try it on my car, i'll let u gys know the outcome

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
the Evo8 MR metal recirculation valve is $190 from MEEK.

Guys, PLEASE use appropriate equipment for your mods, not something with a 12+ year old diaphram.

drez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dre
Drive
Galant type S 2000
I ended up buying the MR bov, since I couldnt find the 2nd hand of this s15 bov on time.
But if anybody else tried it, let us know

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
why bother with something that might be ok, just get a metal evo bov and you will never have a leaking bov issue again

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
On topic, any Evo Bov is designed stock to hold ~20psi right?

So while the metal MR Bov is pimp. Really any Evo Bov that isn't too old will be better than your stock vr4 one.

I'm running an Evo 8 non-MR Bov it's plastic and doesn't seem to have any trouble holding boost.

I spike to almost 20psi in 3rd/4th and then drops down to ~17 and holds fine.

I've only had a working clutch for a couple of hours so havn't been able to see how the boost holds since I cranked it up when Merlin tuned.

Ohh I got the plastic Evo Bov for $5 because the vacuum line was knocked off, I fixed it of course.

All for not wasting money on dodgy mods, but there is a line of reason somewhere in there.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
well done on the cheap BOV Hugh! I got an EVO X BOV in lieu of my stocker, it's the same as an 8 MR internally and the same price and the hoses fit prefectly (no change at all, whereas the vacuum line to the 8 is facing the wrong way).

I agree with Dave and Chris, changing to something that is 10 years old that is reported to only hold 16psi seems a little bit pointless. While we are on the subject, I ran stock vs EvoX BOV's on the dyno today. With just over 16psi peak boost expect about 10kW difference almost everywhere, this is mostly due to the change of timing required.

Top Bottom