Secret MI6 Button Panel

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
So, I have a few items on my car that need a switch wired up to operate them, and I'm wondering where everyone thinks the best place would be to put a panel of switches. The obvious choice is the empty panel where most people have TCL or seat heaters, above the coin box, but that is a little too "obvious" for my liking.

Im thinking of either the sunglasses holder, or the ashtray.
Sunglasses holder is in a much better spot for actually holding switches, but has two drawbacks in that it's pretty easily found, and of course I do use it for holding my sunglasses.
The ashtray is great in that its never going to be used for anything else anyway, and people dont open ashtrays. Unfortunately its smaller, and therefore would hold less switches, and is also slightly more awkward to reach.

Anyway, here's a couple of photoshop mockups. This is with the idea of illuminated red buttons, but I'm also tossing up the idea of metal missile-switches too.
secretbutton1.jpg
secretbutton2.jpg

Which one looks better?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Sunglasses looks better but i'd do the ashtray for the same reason, I actually use the sunglass holder....

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
+1 for the ash tray.

I had a button panel in the ash tray of my 180SX, I felt like james bond everytime I used it :)

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
why not remove the ash try itself, cut the face off it, and install a internal hinge so it slides out like the sunglass holder does?

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Only problem is the bulk of the switch may foul on things behind the panel. They definitely would on the sunglass holder. You could always put them in the center console compartment.

EDIT: Like I said before, let me know if you want to come round and do it here. I have all the tools you could ever need.

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
Thanks for the advice, i think I'm going to go with the ashtray. It will need a bit of modification before I can put anything into it - and I definitely wont be able to fit the big chunky switches - but Jaycar have a pretty decent assortment. Thinking illuminated rocker switches now. And being that close to the power socket makes it easy to find a source of +12v to run relays.
Secret goodie number two arrived from eBay today, so that will have to be installed, probably on the weekend when I transfer goodie number one from a wiring diagram into the car.

Macca, I will take you up on that offer once Ive got everything else for the goodies set in the car, so that way when I get the switches in, you'll be able to see it in action.

leggei007

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeff Stewart
Drive
88 Astra turbo n 2012 Holden Cruze diesel hatch
My idea would be put them in the little pocket next to the ignition barrel under the mirror switch, I think that will fool some ppl and there is alot of room behind it too

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I'm with Jeff man, and the fuse box is behind it so easy access to 12v there too.

Top Bottom