Some Questions From a n00b...

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Unregistered
Hey, Near here and new to galants going to buy one soonish prob next year early and wanted to know all the info first...

1) Wondering if you can put an evo 8 or which ever box will fit, 6 speed box into a Face Lift 96 -02 - VR 4 Galant.

2) What would the cost be to convert it to a rear wheel drive??

3) How hard is it to get the gal up to 220kw at all four wheels?

4) The Best mods to start with??

5) What is stock boost and should i get a power fc with hand controller so i can increase the booost??

6) How much boost can the stock internals hold up to?

7) What is the stock run on a 1/4??

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Welcome Scott

I suggest you start by reading all the links in this thread here:
QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR VR4?
Its an index thread with all the major questions answered... for those that aren't in that thread (I think) I give you the following answers:

1) Wondering if you can put an evo 8 or which ever box will fit, 6 speed box into a Face Lift 96 -02 - VR 4 Galant.
No
2) What would the cost be to convert it to a rear wheel drive??
Dont bother, if you want to drift, buy a nissan
3) How hard is it to get the gal up to 220kw at all four wheels?
It can be done on stock engine/turbos but requires full exhaust (including dumps & front pipes), Front Mount with hard piping, Aftermarket ECU. For a rundown, look for info on bradc's car ;)
4) The Best mods to start with??
What do you want? Power, handling? best and first mod is boost controller to give you about 12psi.
5) What is stock boost and should i get a power fc with hand controller so i can increase the booost??
Power FC is not available for our cars. Piggy back or full aftermarket such as Haltec are your only choices.
6) How much boost can the stock internals hold up to?
Factory turbo's are only good for about 15psi, so unless you replace turbo's too, that's your ceiling

G

Unregistered
Thanks for the info few more questions now XD

What size turbo is best?? and like the RX7 FD it has a squensional setup wondering how this would go in one of these... if not what size turbo is best with minamal lag?

I am after both power and handling lol but i think i will go get some coilovers 1st then what else would i need for handling?

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
stock 1/4 mile time... in the 14's I think.

turbos are parallel not sequential. size depends on where you want to sit on the lag/power curve. big turbos won't fit without modding the engine bay though.

thicker anti-sway bars are a good mod after coilovers. Assuming you have the wheels and tyres you want already.

G

Unregistered
what kinda turbos would fit in there? still want to keep it twin... aiming around 250-300kw at all fours. but still want to keep the lag down which the sequnitaol turbo might help not too sure though.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Twin TD04's on custom manifolds with full exhaust will get you where you want to be.

No I dont want to be rude, but all these topics are covered, just make use of the search button at the top of the page. Search TD04 and you'll see a number of threads on turbo upgrades.

G

Unregistered
okay sweet sorry should've done it first thanks.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg

I'm pretty sure that you'll find the internals from an EVO 6 speed gearbox can be put into a VR-4 manual gearbox.

If you search it i'm sure you'll find it in here somewhere as it has been SPOKEN about before, but no on here has done it AFAIK

G

Unregistered
I did a qucik search to no avail, what insrance company insuraes these i tried doing a few quotes but they don't have them on the cars list.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The internals from an evo 5 speed box are the same from EVO 4 to 9. They will fit straight in. The 6 speed is completely incompatible

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
The internals from an evo 5 speed box are the same from EVO 4 to 9. They will fit straight in. The 6 speed is completely incompatible

The guru strikes again ;)

Thanks for clearing that up mate

G

Unregistered
yeah thanks but are there any 6 speeds that fit?

NinjAClowN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Adam
Drive
Vr-4 96 galant
try just cars. i got my insurance through them and im on pussy plates for about 1600. plus no charges for mod's you just have to let them know and fax them a docket or invoice.

G

Unregistered
how sweet how much you covered for aswell? Cheers for the info.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
im suprised this thread is still open, usually seeing as everything so far is covered in other threads these posts are left alone :p calling justcar will get you a quote. im with them at the moment too. 16 grand is my cover.

G

Unregistered
wow 16g thats pretty good since you can buy one for about 12-15g what mods you got on it?

also whats the best way to lighten these cars? other then make it out of CF(Carbon Fiber)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
im suprised this thread is still open, usually seeing as everything so far is covered in other threads these posts are left alone :p
That's 'cause I've been busy.

As suggested by a number of other people, you can find answers to the vast majority of your questions using the Search button. If you can't find it on your first search, try some other terms (or try using a spell checker). Every single one of your questions has been covered previously, if not extensively.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom