Spark plug frustrations

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Define annoying?

Waiting six months for the perfect opportunity to spend some time on the car, crack open the engine, and change the 3 rear spark plugs.

Approx 120minutes of removing bolts later, I realise that my super-special $6 spark-plug removal tool is 250kms away in a different town.

:banghead:

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
I was going to put it in that thread.. but didn't want to get it lost. People need to know that this job sucks! lol

The good news is that I got everything back together, engine cover on, and car started in about 20minutes after giving up.

Then I found the 5/8 socket I was looking for.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
haha, double ouch! to take it all off, put back on then find the socket.... Taking it all off again now are you?

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
That definitely belongs in the Peev's me thread, a classic double peev's me.

All's well that ends well

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
I think it can wait another six months..
At least I'll be a lot more spanner efficent next time.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Why didn't you do the front 3 first. That way you would have saved your self a lot of time, skinned knuckles and frustration. And believe me those of us who like to tackle a mere plug and oil change are full aware of the f*^%*@^ grief that rear bank of plugs presents. Even the mechanic I use for most of the other work on my 2 Leggies doesn't want to do a plug change. He's offered to let me use the workshop and pay me to do them if any other Galant's or Legnum's come into his workshop.

G

Unregistered
i was just about to say a deep 5/8" socket will do it..

what plugs are in there at the moment?

G

Unregistered
changing the plugs isn't THAT difficult, remove the 5 bolts holding the top pipes on, hose clamp on the throttle body, and then the 11 bolts holding the manifold on.. and that's about it!

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
changing the plugs isn't THAT difficult

No it's not too difficult - once you know where all the (16?!) bolts are AND how to get at them. Next time should be easy. I'm not too sure what's in there at the moment. I think they are platinum tip NGK's, at least that's what was in the front.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Not hard getting them all out it's getting them all back in that I really hate.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Is there a definitive "How To" on changing all 6 spark plugs, when I'm replacing all my induction piping & radiator hoses with silicon replacements I'd like to do this (awaiting delivery), killing a few birds with one stone.... Just looked through the "how to" threads and couldn't see one, I could always do "a bimbo's guide to changing Spark Plugs on a VR4". I know theres one on ClubVR4, which I'll read, but write a completely new oz version with macro pic's, that you guys can pick apart a put back together again so that its "mere male proof"

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
LoL thanks Mitchy, that really helps the future new members and the guys/gurls who have no idea like me, but want to do their own maintenance saving a few bucks to use for performance mods on their cars....

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
when changing my plugs i did the front 3 first and spent 2hrs trying to get a bit of black plastic (from the wiring) out from next to the plug (it was jammed next to the socket part)that was pretty annoying

G

Unregistered
LoL thanks Mitchy, that really helps the future new members and the guys/gurls who have no idea like me, but want to do their own maintenance saving a few bucks to use for performance mods on their cars....

:p

i don't have any pictures, but can give a quick run down..

remove the hose clamp joining the Y intercooler pipe to the rubber pipe behind the drivers side headlight.

remove 2 bolts holding the throttle cable onto the back of the plenum, and remove throttle cable from the throttle body (can be done in place, but might be easier to leave it until you can move the plenum a bit)

remove the 2 bolts holding the intercooler pipes to the outlets of the turbos, and the 3 holding the pipes to the front rocker cover/plenum

remove 6 bolts holding plastic engine cover on

remove bolt holding 2 plugs onto the drivers side of the plenum

unscrew hose clamp holding the 110 degree elbow onto the throttle body, and move aside (might need to remove 2 vacuum lines from the elbow as well)

remove vacuum line from plenum just behind the throttle body (for fuel solenoid) and 2 vacuum lines on the back (small one is for the BOV, the big one is the brake booster)

remove 7 bolts holding the plenum onto the intake manifold (1 on either side, 2 on top, and 3 on the front)

remove 4 bolts holding the rear of the plenum onto the brackets behind the rear rocker cover (an offset ring spanner will make life easier for 1 or 2 of these)

undo 2/3 plugs on the plenum (1 for TPS, 1 for idle control valve, and a possible third for TCL, if you have it)

lift plenum up and out of the way (there are still 2 coolant lines attached, so it wont come completely off)
***these coolant lines can be removed and joined together if you like as well, they are there to stop the throttle from icing over, or to de-ice it from a cold start, but that is never likely to happen is Australia, and I've had mine off for over 12 months with no issues***

disconnect 3 spark plug leads from the coil packs, and undo 7 screws holding the coil packs in.

change front three plugs.

put front coil packs back in, re-attach spark plug leads (they should only go on one way due to their length)

unplug rear three spark plug leads from their sockets

replace rear 3 spark plugs, and re-attach spark plug lead (once again they should only go on one way due to length, that is why you should do front and rear separately, rather than removing all 6 at once)

then read this backwards, and you should have your car back together. :)

G

Unregistered
his directions make it look a lot worse then it is. Think it took me about 40mins to do and was my first time doing it too

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
mitch, fantastic instructions~ always appreciate your work and dedication. weeeelll, i was wondering if you can give me a on site tutorial? I think my mechanic does not want to do it~! For the time you have spent for the tutorial, i will give you some rewards ( hmm i can not figure out how to word this). I can fill your fiel tank for you if you like

Top Bottom