Spark plug oil seals - an alternative to OE

G

Unregistered
I have sourced and now fitted a set of viton o rings to the front rocker cover and so far after about 70 miles of use there have been no leaks.

In the UK one seal costs about $37 from Mitzi or $72 for 6 from JDM.

The seals I have fitted cost less than a $1 each.

Over 2 weeks later and no problems with leaks

The supplier is Polymax in the UK and the seal required is BS322V75 These are 31.12 x 5.33mm and being made of viton should be more resistant to oil and heat than the standard seals

http://www.polymax.co.uk/acatalog/Viton_O-Rings_BS309_-_BS395.html

I would expect somebody in Oz could find a supplier with the same size of seal.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Pete, you're a legend, you know that? ;)

These are actually only ¥400 each from Mitsi Japan, so $37 each is daylight robbery! But even so, $6 for the lot is a hell of a lot better than $30-40! If I didn't already have a set of new ones ready to go I'd snap these right up :)

G

Unregistered
That's quite a mark up we have to pay in the UK then if they are only 400 yen.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Peter, are you able to buy about 18 for me?! seems like polymax only sell it to UK..

and of course I'd pay you back.. :)

G

Unregistered
Peter, are you able to buy about 18 for me?! seems like polymax only sell it to UK..

Hi Christian if you can't find a supplier in Oz that wouldn't be a problem. I have 18 here at the moment.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Peter, can you squeeze me in on the list for 6?

G

Unregistered
Peter, can you squeeze me in on the list for 6?

Yes that shouldn't be a problem . I'll have to order some more but they only take a couple of days.
Somebody in Oz should be able to supply that size though which will keep delivery costs down but I've no problem sending some over.

G

Unregistered

18 seals would be £12 + postage. Cheapest postage is £1.87 or £5.37 for signed for delivery

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I could paypal you also.

Go Peter! Maybe we could get them all sent to Oz in one hit and then divided up by someone for freight forwarding?

I need 6. Makes sense to change them when I do the spark plugs which I have sitting on my desk.

G

Unregistered
I'll have to order in some more of the seals so if you want me to send them all to one person to distribute that would be great.

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
I never knew about these seals before in the leggy's? someone care to explain quickly???? never knew we needed them

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Got mind on the mail today! Thanks Peter!

EDIT: ow, how is your seals so far? Still no leaks? Did you used Silicone Grease when you installed them?

G

Unregistered
Got mind on the mail today! Thanks Peter!

EDIT: ow, how is your seals so far? Still no leaks? Did you used Silicone Grease when you installed them?

great glad to hear they arrived safely.

I just used a small amount of RTV sealent to hold the seals on the rocker cover while fitting it. I didn't use any grease or sealent between the seal and head. My ones are still leak free

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I never knew about these seals before in the leggy's? someone care to explain quickly???? never knew we needed them
Tim they're discussed elsewhere, but basically its a rubber seal that deteriorates over time and requires replacement. Best done with other 100,000km service parts, including your plugs if you're using iridium or platinum rated to 100,000kms service life.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
Sorry to bring this up - But if i went to change a spark plug and it was COVERED in oil, like heaps, is this the part i need? There was no oil on the part that actually sparks, just the other side of the thread.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Josh, don't buy this, it won't work. I have bought a set when I changed my plugs and unfortunately it won't fit.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Josh, don't buy this, it won't work. I have bought a set when I changed my plugs and unfortunately it won't fit.

Irwin, is this the one from Peter (from UK)??

I've been using the ones he provided and I think it is a silicon based o-ring...

it does fit imo, just gotta add sealant to it so it doesn't fall off when you install it..

Top Bottom