standard speakers

G

Unregistered
just wondering about the standard speaker set up in a 97 COTY legnum. i notice there are tweeters so im wondering if there are crossovers aswell. i took the door trim off and couldnt see them.

any help would be great

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
There will just be a simple capacitor on the tweeter. I have not checked so i don't know but am confident.

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
Scottie is spot on there is a small cap on the tweeter itself

G

Unregistered
right!! coz i put in a new set of focal splits and it just doesnt sound right. i never actually put the crossovers in coz i was kind of presumming that they had stardard ones!!

Riley

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Riley
Drive
96 Legnum vr4
right!! coz i put in a new set of focal splits and it just doesnt sound right. i never actually put the crossovers in coz i was kind of presumming that they had stardard ones!!

you will definitely want to be using the crossover supplied, otherwise you will risk damaging the tweeter (unless your head unit/amps/processor/etc have onboard crossovers)

also it will allow you to adjust the tweeter a few db, which is handy because it is quite common for people to find the focal tweeters a bit harsh, especially high up in the door

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
it is quite common for people to find the focal tweeters a bit harsh, especially high up in the door

On the spot there... set my focal tweeters to -3db really evened the sound out.

triggs

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mathew
Drive
Trigger Mauve 1996 VR-4 Galant
sorry to semi hijack the thread but i was just wondering myself what the standard speaker size was for the front and back speakers.

G

Unregistered
Well, I've done some research regarding speaker sizes, here are the results, correct me if I'm mistaken:
Rear speakers: 6" (stock, sounds not bad)
Frond Door Speakers: I measured 5" BUT they are not stock, and sounds like... crap, actually they sounds like tweeters when rear speakers are muted.
Sub: I've found a 8" hole near left rear speaker.

img0078x.jpg

I love idea mounting sub there but I really wanter to go 12", but I don't like doodling around with extra-box for sub. Does it makes sense to enlarge sub hole to 10" or even 12"?

Also I really wanter to go with Alpine Type-R set (sub+rear+front) but I don't think 6.5" will fit neither in front nor rear :(

And do stock frond speaker really have 5" diameter? :S

Thanks

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
I am running the Alpine Type-R's in my front doors (splits) and rear doors. They fit in the stock holes no problems - even the tweeters will fit into the factory location once you disassemble the mountings and fiddle around with the foam that holds the factory tweeters in position. 6.5'' is no worries at all.

Oh and to answer the 5'' question I'm pretty sure the factory speakers are actually 6.5's as well.

G

Unregistered
I am running the Alpine Type-R's in my front doors (splits) and rear doors. They fit in the stock holes no problems - even the tweeters will fit into the factory location once you disassemble the mountings and fiddle around with the foam that holds the factory tweeters in position. 6.5'' is no worries at all.

Oh and to answer the 5'' question I'm pretty sure the factory speakers are actually 6.5's as well.
Great Thanks! I'll go with Type-Rs as I wanter. I'll have another peak tomorrow into boot to make sure I've measured everything correct. Because mine is Galant rear doors have no speakers at all.

As for 8" Sub mount, I'm still thinking to make it wider ad fit it with at least 10" Type R, makes sense?

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
I'm not sure about fitting 6.5's into the parcel shelf if that's where the Galant rears are located but I would presume it'd fit. As for the factory sub mounting I also don't know - in my Legnum the spot for it is in the side panel of the boot rather than up there near the parcel shelf. Room-saving in the boot is always good, although with a 10'' sub it might sit very deep and end up taking up a whole heap of room anyway. Maybe look into slimline subs.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
6.5" will fit in the rear parcel shelf.. but you cant have it too high as it will foul on the cover..

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Unless you drive from the back seat, save your coin and get better speakers for the front.

In terms of putting a sub in the parcel shelf, the short answer is don't do it. It will sound like shit (Regardless of whether it is in a box) :)

Just put a 12 in the boot. There are some good setups here that don't take up much boot space so check those ones out.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
As above, rear speakers are more for fill sound than for quality. I happened to get my second set of type-R's very cheaply for the rear doors otherwise I would definitely have opted for the type-S's for the rears at just over half the normal price of type-R's. Also for the sub, if you're worried about boot space, I have a slimline sub in a slim box - I also haven't mounted it permanently, just velcro, so for big road trips or when I need to pack the boot chockers full I can unscrew the terminals, pull the box off the velcro and whip out the whole thing.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
or a quality 8" like the 8w7 from JL Audio.. but shit.. the box for it will be huge..

G

Unregistered
Well, so two sets of component 6.5" Alpine Type-R and 12" Sub will make sense? (bare in mind, mine is Galant, not Legnum, so I don't have speakers in read doors, they are in parcel shelf instead). Thanks.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I run Type - X fronts and a Type - X 10" sub. Sounds better than my old ute which ran 2 x Clarion HX splits in the front and 2 x Type - S 12's. Spend the extra coin on the fronts and don't get anything for the rear :)

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Yeah I woulda got the type-X's if I had a million more dollars :(

Top Bottom