CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
You will want something like this:

DSC02246a.jpg

I have removed the factory spacer, and have mounted mine directly to the door and have since sealed the spacer with Dynamat. :)

Im going to have to pull mine out and redo the hole size as I want to fit mids with a bigger cutout in there. :)

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
That looks tidy, so you just bolted the mdf straight onto the door inner frame?

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Correct. The screws that hold the factory spacer in have one of those plastic screw into thingys, and i just screwed it into that. :)

Mine are 12mm too. Have another set that I can take pics of if you need. :)

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Ah yeah sounds like a good idea. So you just used the factory screws through some 12mil MDF and into the plastic bits that hold the factory screws, assuming you had to drill some new holes in the pressed metal... Sounds like it wouldn't be too bad.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Ah yeah sounds like a good idea. So you just used the factory screws through some 12mil MDF and into the plastic bits that hold the factory screws, assuming you had to drill some new holes in the pressed metal... Sounds like it wouldn't be too bad.

I used some new screws as the factory ones are too short. :) No holes are needed except in the spacers. :)

Heres some pics of the basic spacer, just use the factory one as a template including the mounting holes. :)
DSC03228a.jpg

DSC03229a.jpg

Just make sure you get the cut out size right as each speaker is different even if they are the same size ie the one have is too small for my new mids:

DSC03230a.jpg

DSC03231a.jpg

And too big for my mates JVC's:

DSC03232a.jpg

But the right size for my factory speakers.. lol

DSC03233a.jpg

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Sweet thanks for the photos man.
Looks like I might need to enlist a family member with some woodworking skills/tools.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Did you mount the baffle in the existing space and remove the original mount? Or did you pop it on top?
Don't suppose you took any photos, I'm not much of a wood-worker lol.

Looks like Jeremy has already answered most of your questions.

If you want to see some more pictures on how to set up the MDF baffle, look here:

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread....lits-opinion-on-LANZAR-gear&highlight=dynamat

That is in fact, a 7 inch driver mounted in a VR-4 door.

Note the absorption material behind the driver and the rubber gasket around it, to ensure it's properly sealed.

If you wanted to go all tricky and audiophile, you could even plane down part of the baffle so that the driver angles at the opposite head rest. This helps with imaging and increasing the height of your sound stage.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Cheers Bruce, I hadn't read through that thread before. Pretty useful although I've never used dynamat before - Pete here in SA volunteered his time though :p

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
My variation on the above thread is that you seal the door holes with cutouts from plastic trays or mdf rather than dynamatting the whole internal skin. This way you can get into the door if you need to replace anything without having to cut the dynamat. ;)

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
The whole point of sound deadening is to lower the resonant frequencies of your door panels.

The whole point of sealing the service holes is to create as close to a sealed 'box' as possible out of the door, which is essentially a tin can full of holes.

So why would you only do half a job and use plastic or mdf without coating it in deadening?

Even more so if you are going to the effort of putting decent bigger mids in!

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
I wasnt saying that I wasnt going to coat it in deadening, but i can tell you that mcd's trays are pretty strong... lol

Pic as below(excuse the fozzie door used):
dcaudio_143.jpg

These doors had two of the ID mids pictured above in each door... ;)

Top Bottom