Standard stereo wiring

Bladerunner

Crunching Gears
First Name
AB
Drive
1998 Galant Facelift Type S
Hi guys, put a head unit in today (an integrated lcd/tv/radio/amp) and it works sweet with one exception.

As soon as I turn the ignition to the 'on' position, i get a constant whine over all the speakers, no matter what function the unit is on (radio, aux input etc).

Is this a ground loop, and if so, what can I do about it?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
what brand stereo is it? usually quality h/u come with noise filter.. or whatever it is called..

Chris Rogers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris Rogers
Drive
wagon
not quite.

the larger one is the main antenna the smaller is the sub antenna.

diversity works by selecting the antenna with the stronger signal. that can be main or sub or both.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
So fro mwhat your saying Audio it would be wise to parralell up both of them... so your std garden variety HU can use both? (My car has both too)

Also i'm going to wire in the Aerial on line to that white/blk and see if that helps with my reception.

I just figured out all my wiring the old fashioned way with a multimeter and a pad and pen.

Chris Rogers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris Rogers
Drive
wagon
if you can find the correct lead - yes. if not leave the smaller one off. most of the aftermarket units available have stronger front ends than the OE gear anyway.

Sony is case in point. they may have a horrible name for CD players but the radios over the past few years out perform most of the OE units I have pulled out , especially on AM.

wht/blk on mitsi is the ant control/ antenna Amp. it needs to be used. as proof connect your radio up WITHOUT the amp powered up and try to listen to AM radio. it will be non existent until you turn the amp on. there will be a similar effect with FM. you will hear it but it will clear up with the amp powered up.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
I have found - and mentioned many times - that the smaller antenna plug seems to pick up stations in my area MUCH more effectively than the larger.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Just a suggestion, could a mod update this thread so the wire list is in the first post and with the list in a larger font and coloured.

I know it's there, but with how to sticky's it might as well be as clear as possible hey?!

(I just trawled the whole thread because I didn't realise that the aerial wire was in fact listed in post 3)

Well my dodgy stereo doesn't seem to power the aerial on wire it has so I wired the aerial into accessories. The signal increased dramatically. I imagine having it powered all the time wont matter to much.:p

jimslick

Crunching Gears
First Name
jim
Drive
99 vr4
hey can someone help a brother out. i'm wating for my leggy to get here, and it's got a tape deck in it. do they normally come with cd stackers if they've got a tape deck up front?? and do the nornal head units have RCA outputs on the rear of the deck??

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
hey can someone help a brother out. i'm wating for my leggy to get here, and it's got a tape deck in it. do they normally come with cd stackers if they've got a tape deck up front?? and do the nornal head units have RCA outputs on the rear of the deck??

my car came with a tape deck.. sure it does have the cd changer input but didnt come with it..

and they only have RCA inputs which is for the cd changer's audio.. another connector which looks rather like a PS/2 connector.. is for the CD change control :)

G

Unregistered
Mine has the tape deck up front and CD stacker in the back. Its a MMCS system thought, not sure if yours is.

wraith73

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Steve
Drive
Mitsubishi Colt, Patrol, Pulsar Q
EDIT

yellow/red = right rear spkr +ve
grey/red = right rear spkr -ve
yellow/blue = left rear spkr +ve
grey/blue = right rear spkr -ve

Hate to be picky... 2 right rear spkr -ve's?

I finally got around to putting a CD/MP3 player in. Some left over wires, but it works & my car hasn't caught on fire (yet). For some reason, the facia thingy won't sit right. It's supposed to join up with the bit that goes around trans shifter, but when it's all clipped in, it sits over a cm too far in, leaving me with a very noticeable gap. If the bottom lines up, there's a huge gap directly below the stereo & tray thingy (like someone with one hell of an overbite), & nothing clips in. Has been like that since I got the car, but thought it'd fix itself when taken out & put back. Not broken... possibly warped/bent??

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
1997 Galant VR4 and a very old cordia turbo
I have a cheap as chips china head unit (I know I know). It has an ISO connector.

Anybody used the mitsubishi to ISO connector packs from autobahn etc?

Where do most people fit there GPS antenna?

Finally - the head unit has a few extra antenna connections for TV etc? Chances are I won;t bother, but any recommendaions for these?

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
wht/blk on mitsi is the ant control/ antenna Amp. it needs to be used. as proof connect your radio up WITHOUT the amp powered up and try to listen to AM radio. it will be non existent until you turn the amp on. there will be a similar effect with FM. you will hear it but it will clear up with the amp powered up.

Connect it to what? 12V?

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
Bought the APP0111 wiring harness. Connected up and worked straight away. No soldering needed

well almost

None of my presets were being remembered. Obviously a power problem. Traced it to the battery and ignition 12V wires (red and yellow on the harness side) being the wrong way around. Buggered if I know which connected is wrong (and it doesn't really matter). Swapped them and all is fine and dandy.

Also found this web site. Shows diagrammatically the wiring for both the pre and post 98 stereos.

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Mitsubishi-Wiring.pdf

Took a few photos of the centre console coming out. When I get a spare hour or two will write up a guide with the pics. It is such an easy thing once you know exactly where those bloody catches are.

Top Bottom