Stealth sub install in legnum

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Yeah I was gonna say the same about keeping your wallet closed. In my experience there are some sales people who only are interested in selling and at the end of the day don't really care much about the end result. There are also others though who are in it for the long run, trying to establish a respected business name within the local community and actually want to help you achieve a decent sound from your car.

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
in the mazda 6 they have a bosesound system and have the sub that sits in the spare wheel. its just a back box and you cant actually see the speaker. i dont know it one could be adapted to work with a aftermarket amp system tho

G

Unregistered
I need that space when I have the bike in the car....and it wouldn't be stealth.

I'm going to be a stubborn bastard and not give up until I find a design that meets all of my above criteria AND doesn't compromise sound quality/response.

I saw something very similar to what you are after on trademe last week. It was a false MDF floor, with a sub screwed to the underside, and several 2" holes cut in it to let sound out, and carpeted over in the same colour as the rest.

You could see the hole outlines a little bit, and i wouldnt want to put anything heavy on it, but might be an idea.

you could even use a heavier grille to do away with having big holes.

Myself i have a drum kit to carry around, so i have removable sub boxes. They were just a stock thing, but they fit nice, against the back of the seat. Easy to take out.

and yes there is a bucket load of room in the wheel well, especially if you ditch it, and go for a battery relocation, you could have the sub well hidden.

Attachments

• Update 20b 001.jpg
    Update 20b 001.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Update 20b 002.jpg
    Update 20b 002.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 113

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
in the mazda 6 they have a bosesound system and have the sub that sits in the spare wheel. its just a back box and you cant actually see the speaker. i dont know it one could be adapted to work with a aftermarket amp system tho

Hmmm might be worth having a listen, see if it'll be powerful enough for what I want.

I saw something very similar to what you are after on trademe last week. It was a false MDF floor, with a sub screwed to the underside, and several 2" holes cut in it to let sound out, and carpeted over in the same colour as the rest.

Recon it'd still be on trade me? (just wanna have a look)

G

Unregistered
Pics wont be around for much longer.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-stereos/Other/auction-146939185.htm

So yeah, kinda way too rough looking for my tastes, but the idea is decent enough, and there is clearly a **** load of room to take 4 subs:banghead:

Im not sure why the carpet looks so funny.. if its been painted, or its just the having nothing behind it thing.

The other thing that worrys me, wont a false floor like that rattle something chronic?

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Thanks for the link Mike. Looks like the guy had the right idea, just execution is a bit off. You're quite right about the rattling. It's going to be built quite rigidly, then either screwed down solidly or padded. I'm thinking a nice thick layer of sound deadening mat between solid surfaces will do the trick nicely.

I'd say it looks funny because the carpet is very thin, that's all.

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
1998 PFL Legnum VR4 2012 Skoda Superb 1990 Suzuki GSF250
ok, i don't know if this helps but i was in strathfield car radio and i saw some sony subs, i think they were 12" but what really caught my attention was that the sub was only about 2 inches thick, perfect for hiding in a car, if i remember correctly it was 1500w and about 380w rms

ok, i found it, the model is XSL12S

Attachments

• XSL12S.jpg
    XSL12S.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 57
  • XSL12S_2.jpg
    XSL12S_2.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 56
  • XSL12S_3.jpg
    XSL12S_3.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 52

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Nice find! Hadn't seen those.

Have any of you had any experience with these slim form factor subs? Do they actually perform? What's the sound quality like?

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
lol, id like to know how they go myself, i might stop in strathfield again n see if they have any demos, first time i seen subs like that

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Each to their own, but I wouldn't touch Sony with your's. Sound quality is sub-par and the coils have a nasty habit of unravelling.

I've heard some people saying the shallow subs sound good, but can't confirm myself. The problem I see is a sub is designed to move air, and lots of it. Diaphragm throw is a big part of that equation, so if there isn't much room for the cone to move then how can you get that air displacement?

Having said that, I'm talking theories, not practice. Maybe Sony have a killer product here? I dunno - I'd have to hear it in a car. But its easy enough for you to check one out in a car audio place I'm sure :)

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
i kinda thought that too but there are those new speakers that are flat n about half the size n sound just as good, who knows, maybe sony did something good for once but i was just thinking something like that would be good for size constraints

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
I liked the idea of those hidden subs in the tyre well, has anyone actually heard what they sound like?

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
yeah my bro pretty hard into his sounds and has said sony is crap. hes hard into rockford and clarion

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Yeah wouldn't be buying sony. Will have a look at the other brands...

G

Unregistered
I have a set of Rockford Fosgate 4" and 6.5" speakers in my GTiR, great quality sound and decently priced too! The car actually came with some low end Sony junk speakers and the improvement over them was unreal!

As far as subs go most of them will generally be the same no matter which brand you go for. It's only when you get down to the fine tuning your sound that they really make a difference. Having said that, the Clarion range of subs are generally well priced and sound great...

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
lol, i guess everyone has an opinion on sounds, personally i like mtx subs, half the peak power n sound the same or better, ive tried clarion, kicker and mtx subs, will be buying mtx again, and to be 100% honest the only thing that i think is better from rockford fosgate is their price!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
MTX Audio do make great subs - they get my vote for sure. Some of their amps are really good too.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
ok guys. i wanted to build a stealth box for my car. well, the measurement was needed and eventhough i measured many times, i was bit afraid to cut anything.

Firstly, some pictures to explain.

Well, yes. the inverted sub install but the mounting clearance was 15cm for the sub i got and it has to be internal inverted (before the sub box's top pannel in sealed, the sub is mounted from yhe inside, in reverse). To test it out, the thin MDF with 16mm thickness (I know.. i could not go any thicker due to the space limits. will explain more later). I had about 2cm gap from the spare tyre holding screw and the magnets of the sub. Then i realised i need to CUT the balck plastic storage thing ( what do you guys call that?). I put a straight metal bar on the side to side and measured the height left. I had 7cm clearance from the surface of the sub. The boot pannel is 3.5cm thick, including the fabric and plastic part. that means i only have 3.5cm clearance for the top sub pannel and the sub. That also means if i use 16mm pannel for the sub box, it will only give 1.9cm gap for the sub surface and the pannel. I decided to use the 9mm MDF (Yes.. i know.. too thin but what can i do..) for the top pannel so it gives better clearance.
Before i start the project..

few problems.

1. how to stablise, or fix the box in the position. Very limited space and there are no hindges or anything at the boot

2. The rattling might be severe because there is a pannel sitting on top of the sub box

3. the actual dimention of the box. Height is limited so the width and length. Maybe volume is not enought.

4. I have to cut the black boot pannel shelf. Does anyone have spare?

Ok... does anyone have other ideas or problems that i might have to consider??

Attachments

• boot1.jpg
    boot1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 114
  • boot2.jpg
    boot2.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 150
Top Bottom