Stealth sub install in legnum

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
So are you planning on making an easily removable box? Why not just remove the spare wheel and get and RACQ membership :)

Chris Rogers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris Rogers
Drive
wagon
a suggestion. copy that drop panel in MDF and F'glass it. from there tape off your spare tyre and drop 10-20 layers of F'glass in the shape of the tyre. that will give you the base of the box. pop it back out and attach it to the top panel that you copied.

for the top carpet panel, copy that as well in MDF and put a cut out in place with mesh for teh sub.

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
a suggestion. copy that drop panel in MDF and F'glass it. from there tape off your spare tyre and drop 10-20 layers of F'glass in the shape of the tyre. that will give you the base of the box. pop it back out and attach it to the top panel that you copied.

Agreed. Pretty much exactly what I was planning on doing with mine (one day!).

Keep us updated happymatch.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
i was at the church today.. instead of listening to minister's sermon, i was day dreaming about the sub box. will update as the project progresses. Most likely, fiberglass would be the way to go. went to bunnings hardware house for the prices of fibre glass.. Not cheap but i would need about 7 layers minimun. will work on it on the long weekend (i thank god for it):ROFLMAO:.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I will be interested to see what you come up with. Im planning on something similar.

As far as the plastic tray I would just build the box as planned and see how it sounds with the tray on top. Then go for the MDF one once you realise it wont work with the plastic shelf in there.

Chris Rogers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris Rogers
Drive
wagon
no. remove the plastic insert and copy it into a MDF frame. it will rattle otherwise.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
it may sound silly but from my short but good experience from one of my previous car, i used velcro to stablise a false pannel for the sub box znd it was perfect. it was easy to remove as well.

Anyway.. bought some MDF's today. probably work on the side frame of the sub box on the weekend and will post the pictures up.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
finally.. got some fibre galss as i was cleaning up my friends garage with him. now.. to the bunnings for the resin

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I've done the stealth insteall it works pretty well.

I have butchered the black plastic tray though which you will have to forgive. But when I'm done it will look pretty treat.

I built the box out of 18mm MDF. It's only 14cm deep and is a 12" round cylinder not vented.

I wasn't expecting it to drive very loud but I was rather surprised. Even with the carpet cover down. Makes the rear vision mirror rattle that's for sure.

I need to drop the amp a little lower into the tray so the cover sits flush and get a brace for the plastic shelf folded. But it works for now.

I'll get up some pics up... best part is you wouldn't even know it's there.

Bad part is I have blown both LH door speakers :/ Must have been on the way out already :/

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Well here's some pics. It looks badly ghetto. But it works a treat.

The staples are because the peice of MDF I used wan't long enough to do the full 12 inches. Anyhow I used loads of glue. To be sure I covered it fully in 2 thick coats of fiber glass resin. It will be air tight now.

I'm also going to spray it back before it goes back in. I should have spent some time with a sander and some bog to make it look mint.... but it's out of sight and out of mind. I'm not entering autosaloon :p

Damn resin fumes, I've got a headache :/

Hey go stick it all you audio files btw :p The sub was $70 and the amp was free from a mate so nyer!

The carpet sit's almost flush. The amp is a little proud still... maybe 10mm :/
sub001.jpg

sub003.jpg

In all it's frankenstien glory. The legs on the box let it sit flat over the spare wheel hub / screw.
sub002.jpg

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
I like it as it proves you can do it without too mush trouble if you want. I think later I will do a similar set up but replace the entire floor pocket system and then use more volume for the sub box. Might also mount the amp in a recessed area within it. I would do it so that it is fully hidden but also have perhaps some removable carpet or a couple of carpets so I could show off the system when I want to. Maybe some perspex and rear lighting etc. Well a bit off yet but I will get around to it sometime. Love to create a show type system that can be concealed and showed off. I guess I need to pull all my gear out of the lancer first! *big job* one day!

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Nice work! Very neat being able to fit the sub entirely within the spare. Looks a bit on the small side though. I'd guess it delivers quite tight, punchy bass (not a bad thing depending on what you listen to).

Any chance you can show us a pic with the carpet on?

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I like it :)

I wouldn't care what it looks like if it sounds good... I only painted mine because I had leftover paint lol

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I'll get a pic with the carpet on... but it will look like any other legnum boot.

The bass is pretty good i'm no coniseur but it delivers gut moving bass in electronic / r&b and rock so I'm not complaining.

I was going to put the kicker box back in and run it and the stealth sub as well but the stealth sub drives that well that I'm not going to bother running the kicker box too.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
thats looking fantastic~ how much clearance did you need from the sub face and the cover?? hmm.. and how did youget the round thing??

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
The original plan was to build the sub flush on the tray which I was I dremeled out first. I was then going to build the sub box as part of the tray.

I had the sub screwed into the tray so that worked. I flattened out both surfaces so I could put the box underneath and then sandwich the ring on top to make it all one unit. However it got a little compliacted making the bottom face flat and I decided to just make the box poke through the tray.

I cut out a 18mm MDF 12" round and at it in the bottom of the wheel well and measured to the tray it was 14.5cm.

The round part is MDF, I measured out a 12" long x 14.5cm high rectangle (excuse mizing units). Then using a circ saw put 8 cuts 3/4 of the depth of the wood. then just kind of folded it in on itself... it wasn't a tight enough cicle so I put in another 8 cuts, then I the curve was tight enough.

I got some cheap / crap putty / sealer to put in the gaps then close the curve but the putty was that crap it didn't really work. I recon liquid nails would have been better.

Anyhow I just put on heaps of glue and attached the folded curve onto the bottom face it was pretty easy. I used nails to hold it in place, then it was just a matter of putting the top on.

The top isn't centered as well as I would have done but it was full of nails from my failed sandwich attempt.

I did 2 coats of fiber glass resin after the glue had set to make sure it is really well sealed.

I have given it a quick spray black for now and maybe some carpet in the future.

Anything else you can have a look on the 15th jono :p

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
it is not complete but almost

firstl, i tried to copy the hugh's box which was very nice and then i thought i might try something experimental.

i deceded to use the space at the top of the spare tyre bit more.

this is the picture.

Attachments

• DSC04658.jpg
    DSC04658.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 86

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
htis is how i did it.

firstly, i made a cardbord cut out to see whay kind of shape i can get from the top of the spare.

then i cut the mdf to the same shape. 2 copies, and lie them flat on the spare. the sub box will sit on the spare tyre

cut the middle whole for space for the sub

measure the depth i can have from the mdf to the bottom of the spare, where the screw are to hold the spare

make a flat cylinderical small box with the measured depth and then stick it to the botton mdf panel

Attachments

• DSC04661.jpg
    DSC04661.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC04662.jpg
    DSC04662.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC04668.jpg
    DSC04668.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 65

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
put it in the boot to see if everything is ok. I tried with many many cardboards.:(

put it in the boot and see how much space you have left.

construct the side panels as per measurement and put the top pannel on. i used some mfd pieces in the middle to reinforce the regidity of the box.

i used combination of 9mm and 16mm mdf's since it is my experimental one and wanted to hear how it sounds like.. not expecting much but hey... you never know..

i used lots of liquie nails and gap filler (professional ones) to ensure there are no gaps or anything.

cut the black boot pannel and the sound deftener.

the boot panel fortunatly seats right top of the box so no reinforcement to the boot panel was required.

i put everything back together and the top boot pannel was about 2.5 clear from the sub.. so no worries there..

now i need to install amps, lines, rca's and all that... another hard job..

bow will be carpeted eventhought it will be hidden. I just like to complet look of it.

dimensions will be up if anyone interested.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
sorry.. forgot the pics..

still it is a small box and may sound not right... results?? hmm till the next wash day..

Attachments

• DSC04660.jpg
    DSC04660.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC04667.jpg
    DSC04667.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC04666.jpg
    DSC04666.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 80
Top Bottom