steering rack busted!!!

G

Unregistered
hey just recently i found out my steering rack is gone drivers side boot is cracked and is leaking a nice amount of fluid !! and also noticed while on the hoist i have a split cv boot on the passenger side these things do happen as the car has 91000k on the clock !

so question is has any one had this problem ?

i got quoted 550 to reco the rack and $400 to pull it out and put it back in again !! id do it my self but looks to be some drama but im doing both inner cv boots my self(flushed and greased of course)

i think its good pricing considering the amount of work envolved any one have any thoughts or been down this road ?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
I have recently found a split cv joint boot myself. Had the same problem on my last car, ended up having to get someone else to fix the problem because i couldnt find a way of getting the new boot on. If you dont mind me askin how are you going to do this?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
what kind of fluid is leaking from the steering rack? hope its not the P/S Oil.. iif it is.. it might need an overhaul..

before you buy and replace your steering rack boots, check your tie rods if they have any play within them.. if they do play, might as well replace it in the same time..

you can get the 7G Galant's tie-rod & tie-rod end, as well as the boot..

here's a link for the tie rods

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SET-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

as for the boot, you can just buy it from supercheap or autobarn

G

Unregistered
So are the CV boots the same as a manga or something? Mine also has a small leak somewhere in the CV boot as small amounts of yellowish grease is getting flicked around that area.

G

Unregistered
just so you guys know,

the inner cv boot on the drivers side is a special item.
its a high temp silicone, as its sits right by the exhaust pipe.
and its not cheap!

and the inner cv boots are not round, they have 3 half round indentations,
and as the UK guys have found, the genuine mitsi item fits best.

karlous54

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Karl
Drive
2000 Vr4 Manuel
Yeah ive had to replace my rack, at about 60,000km. Found i had about 5 degree's play in the steering wheel before the wheels actually started to turn. Was blood dangerous. Got my 2nd rack from mitsubishi for $170 Nz, This included a 5,000km warranty. Apparently a bit of work to get out and in

G

Unregistered
um yeah its the power steering rack as i have checked all the hose's ferals and the rack it self and i have a split on the drivers side rack boot and id say dirt has got in there and as going in and out its damaged the seal and caused it to leak ! (the guy also replaces the rack ends as well as a over haul)

well im not paying for them to do it any more (they have never done one
and i have never done one either so why pay some one to do it !!! but saying that if your mechanicaly inclined pay some one , im gonna do it with the help of a friend of myne im a mechanic and so is he and i should step up to the plate and do it my self instead of paying someone else to do it

so scoped it out the rack it self isnt hard but in saying that the pipes bracket and fittings will be difficult

man its really hard to explain on here but i can say its gonna be fun lots of tight spaces removal of intake pipeing of turbo back to the air box and maybe even the air box!!

also a place in brendale down the road has done galant vr4 (jap) and wants $550 i hand it to him and withing or before 2 days i get it back
so im doing it at work (so i have the full workshop on hand) and only able to work on it in over time or lunch breaks will take me probly a week lol sounds a long time but i have another car so it doesnt bother me any ways about the cv boot yes the drivers side is alot more expensive but you ill do em both at the same time im hopeing im going to save money !!

but in the end if i cant do it

tow truck to the other workshop and pay them to do it , hoping fingers crossed it works out but will let you all know starting it as soon as the f100 gets back from the engine rebuilders!should be end of next week or maybe this week :)

G

Unregistered
I have recently found a split cv joint boot myself. Had the same problem on my last car, ended up having to get someone else to fix the problem because i couldnt find a way of getting the new boot on. If you dont mind me askin how are you going to do this?

once cv is out dunno if i will flush it my self and re pack it or give it to a cv place ! i have to go to a cv place anyway to get a boot to fit it correctly ! and maybe just maybe they may have i hi temp one for the drivers side (if not ill leave the drivers side for now as nothing is wrong with it !

it really isnt that hard just need to find out weather it is held in by a circlip or just the spline itself(inside the gear box) (most cars with a circlip just pull out ) i dont want to risk it so ill scope it out wen i get to it

G

Unregistered
and the inner cv boots are not round, they have 3 half round indentations,

umm ? i havent looked at the drivers side that closely but they exactly like any normal cv boot mate just differnt size shape roundness . so unless your talking about the drivers side. i think the ones that are round and those shit universal ones ???

G

Unregistered
up date,,,

my car no longer leaks power steer fluid (and yes there is fluid in the resviour !!) now this it not un common for me i have these things appear then some how disapear !! i know it sounds like i dont know wat im talkin about but i am a mechcanic and everything seems to be drying up (as there was fluid on the lower control arm and now its starting to dry up and no more leaks , but then the cv boot is still busted and so is the rack boot
!! so still have to do that once the other project is on the road still waiting on the motor to come bak !! so hows everyone else going with any cv boots or rack problems ?

Top Bottom