Steering Rack Ends

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Hey all, just had my car down to Tyrepower and had a brand new set of Nankang NS2's fitted i also asked to have a 4wheel alignment done aswell but when i went back to pick it up he had told me that because my right side steering rack end was no good he couldn't do it. Now he recommended me to the mechanic they use next to them so i hit him up for a cost and so forth but i got a bit put off as he thought it was a Magna!! What am i up for and are the parts available through Mitsi?

G

Unregistered
yes,

if its just a rack end aka tie rod end, about $30 depending on where you buy from,
any auto parts place will have them, (super cheap, repco etc.)

the 7th gen galant (92-96) part fits/works,

and take 30mins to swap yourself.

G

Unregistered
I needed mine replaced when my car went over compliance, and even from mitsubishi they arent expensive, around the $45 mark from memory.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Stephen.. each right?

IMO, if you're replacing that inner tie rod, might as well replace the boot and tie rod ends..

so around $200+ for all parts..

G

Unregistered
I asked Mitsubishi where in live (sweden) whats the cost for the inner tie rod end to my legnum. same as galant v6 non turbo.

167AUD for one!!! and i want to change both...

crazy ****ers ;)

Godzilla;Tell me what you think of the Nankang ns2 when you have drove your car for a bit..' i have a set of new nankang sport ns-2 in the garage who i dont have fitted yet. If there are good im gonna fit them :)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
If it makes you feel any better Michael, Mitsubishi Motors Australia (MMA) charge like that here, too :banghead: That's why you go to Japan for anything that HAS to be genuine, and go aftermarket for everything else.

G

Unregistered
Do you need any special tool too unscrew the inner rod?

Have losen thw wheel now and taking of the rubber mask on the inner rod, but i need to now if you need any special tools to unscrew it

Or it if works to take of with a simple tong?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
you need a screw driver to unfold the metal at the steering rack ends so you can unscrew the tie-rods..

G

Unregistered
fixed it used the old tube tong to get the inner rod out ;)

**** how bad my old was..:D

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
was this a hard job to do? i have a set of drive shafts here with new cvs, and i have new inner and outer tie rod ends comming along with suspension link, control arms etc... just wondering whether its worth the time on a sunday or if i should just pay an hour or 2 labour..

G

Unregistered
Took maybe 1,5 hour too fix it on both sides, a little longer on the first side we
Changed on but then on the other side we did it quicker.

I Changed both inner tie rod ends and one outer,had changed one outer before
Total cost for 2 inner rods + 1 outer rod with freight to Sweden was 161aud instead of paying mitsubishi 167aud for one inner rod here..,;)

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
the 7th gen galant (92-96) part fits/works

Sorry to dig up an old thread but Im a bit stuck. I need to replace an inner rack end but am having trouble working out the right part. The above quote seems to be the general consensus on here, as I have been told this by a couple of people. Thing is I ordered an inner rack end to suit a HJ galant from repco and my mechanic says it is the wrong part and that the right part should be 240mm long, the part I supplied is about 310mm long. the part number on the box is SRE1012 and underneath in small text is says "galant HJ (re986)" which is a similar part# to what is quoted in post 3 of this thread:
http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?1596-WTB-Rack-end-for-Legnum-2001&highlight=rack+end
I dont want to order another wrong part, especially if the part I have sitting here is actually the correct part. I would love it if anyone could shed some light on this for me. Either mechanic is stupid, HJ galant rack ends dont suit our cars, parts manufacturer has put wrong part in box, I dont know. If anyone has an one lying around they could measure that would be helpful.

marc.r

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marc
Drive
purple legnum
did anyone eventually get an answer for this. I had a noise coming from my front RHS and supposedly its the steering rack end. From this thread im guessing this is referred to as the inner tie rod end and I should just do both sides inner and outter at the same time as the others are probably old too even if not showing real signs of imminent death!

Where is the best place to order these parts from now and anyone have any idea how much is reasonable in labour for me to pay on a job like this? 2-3 hours for both sides inner and outter?

Top Bottom