TailShaft /Propeller Shaft - Auto & Manual Question.

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Okay first off, sorry if this has been asked but couldn't find anything.

Now the manual & automatic tailshaft/propeller shaft are actually different part number completely and even have different parts used internally.

What i want to ask is are they the same length ? and would it effect anything if a manual shaft was used in a auto or vice versa ?

Because i know a few here have converted there galant/legnum from auto to manual, did they use the same shaft ? so basically use a manual box with a auto tailshaft ? Because i haven't heard that it needs to be changed ?

And another strange question with the VR4 rear diff AYC & NON-AYC can you still use the same propeller shaft vice versa ? So if a car had AYC and you put a NON-AYC will it line up with the propeller shaft of a AYC ?

crazydriver81

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Stefan
Drive
Legnum 25 ST-R
Are you talking about the prop shaft which connects front and rear diff? Or do you mean the drive shafts, which connect drivertrain with the wheels?

I am not aware of the fact, that the prop shaft is different between MT/AT and AYC/non-AYC cars.

The driveshafts are different. Although front shafts from AT will line up with the MT box from my understanding it is not the best option as there is a Minor length difference between MT and AT shafts.

Driveshafts from AYC equipped cars will not connect to the diff. of non-AYC cars.

Probably others know better but this is my knowledge of the things here

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
By my reckoning, if transfer case and rear differential are the same, consequently the prop shaft should be. However, looking up the part numbers for a 5M/T FL Type S and an A/T Type S FL, they're different.
That's not to say they're not interchangeable and the difference was most likely due to minor changes or improvements.
I don't recall anybody having undergone an A/T to M/T that's required the prop shaft of the donor car either...

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Thanks Guys,
(Stefan im taking about the propeller shaft, that are actually different part numbers :))

I know about the transfer and rear diff are meant to match but i just wanted to know about the propeller shaft because they are both different part numbers for the manual & auto and if they work, i know there is a few parts that are interchangeable with these cars but just wanted to be 100% on this if it works either way.

But if you actually look at the internal parts some are different from auto & manual, and was thinking maybe one is alittle shorter or something like that but as long as no one has had troubles when they converted to manual from auto i guess it should be fine.

But with the non-ayc diff would that still bolt up fine to the propeller shaft or do you need a non-ayc propeller shaft ? i know the driveshaft would be different but not interested in that yet :)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
the transfer case and rear diff are in the same location. i wonder if one is stronger....

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Is this a "manual" conversion related query or are you looking at replacement options for other reasons?

I had mine rebuilt years ago by a local shop here (Finaldrive) and its been great.

Top Bottom