The Automatic Transmission Thread

G

Unregistered
yeah its kind of annoying...sight unseen ive been quoted about $1500 to fix the problem which consists of replacing all of those little clip things as well as new clutches, seals, gaskets etc etc.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
yeah its kind of annoying...sight unseen ive been quoted about $1500 to fix the problem which consists of replacing all of those little clip things as well as new clutches, seals, gaskets etc etc.

Thats a good price, but could get more expensive.... Make sure you get that in writing!

And good luck with it

G

Unregistered
The F5A51 is out of the Verada's and some Magna's and is built the same as the above gearbox with another gear (hence the F5 instead of F4 and the start of the model number). The F is for front wheel drive, but we have the AWD version which starts with a W (which i can't work out)
so its almost the same as ours which is a W5A51.
so does this mean that the internals of the magna/verada boxes are similar? would the little ring/clips that break (like mine lol) be compatible between a magna box and ours?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
so does this mean that the internals of the magna/verada boxes are similar? would the little ring/clips that break (like mine lol) be compatible between a magna box and ours?

Verada tiptronic's are the same internals. That wave spring is compatible in both from what i have been told

G

Unregistered
cool, so thats one thing the workshop can get from the local dealer rather than having to import from mitsi japan.

so im assuming the seals, gaskets, clutches etc are the same as well? what model/year verada's though?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
cool, so thats one thing the workshop can get from the local dealer rather than having to import from mitsi japan.

so im assuming the seals, gaskets, clutches etc are the same as well? what model/year verada's though?

There is no year model as such as that gearbox was an option.... I don't know about the seals etc. Most auto trans dudes will be able to reference the gearboxes model number anyways i would imagine. The part numbers should be the same if the parts are the same in both boxes anyway. If you reference the local ones with Mitsi Japan's Legnum stuff you should find they are the same, but i am not certain of that so you'll need to check it out i think.

If you get the part numbers, do you wanna post them in here? I haven't got them yet

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
The part numbers should be the same if the parts are the same in both boxes anyway. If you reference the local ones with Mitsi Japan's Legnum stuff you should find they are the same, but i am not certain of that so you'll need to check it out i think.
You'd THINK so, wouldn't you? I've found that Mitsi change model numbers due to the day of the week, apparently - I've found three different part numbers for the exact same part before. I'm also unsure if MMA have a different model numbering scheme than Japan - if so model numbers will be different for the same part :banghead:

But by all means, please let us know if you can find more info
icon14.gif

G

Unregistered
will do. i have my transmission number and will be ringing my auto trans workshop tomorrow to book the car in to get fixed. will ask for part numbers for everything that gets replaced :)

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
will do. i have my transmission number and will be ringing my auto trans workshop tomorrow to book the car in to get fixed. will ask for part numbers for everything that gets replaced :)

You're my hero ;)

G

Unregistered
the car is booked in for next tuesday, the workshop has agreed to record all part numbers for me. they said most of the stuff comes in kit form but they will break them down and record as many details as possible for me, w00t!

also getting a trans cooler fitted too.

G

Unregistered
Verada tiptronic's are the same internals. That wave spring is compatible in both from what i have been told
they are box the same boxes (internally anyway) as the boxes from our verada's were imported from mitsi japan out of our legnums, according to my workshop and he has heard of the legnums too which is music to my ears.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
they are box the same boxes (internally anyway) as the boxes from our verada's were imported from mitsi japan out of our legnums, according to my workshop and he has heard of the legnums too which is music to my ears.

Correct.... Thats good news with the part numbers too!

And thank god you're doing the trans cooler! :)

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
When working properly the auto box is great. Have an ice cream and kick back at the lights and chill out, or get the red mist and flick through the gears like a madman. Really responsive, quick gear changes. When I first recieved my car though i was really worried, sluggish changes, catching gears and wierd shifts. A full fluid flush of Mitsi DQ SPIII and it feels great to drive. My mates with straight auto boxes swear they will never buy a automatic car without the ability to change though the gears after being in the Legnum. Beauty of a box, when serviced properly. My advice for anyone who has just bought a VR4 is a full flush of the tranny, for peace of mind and smooth changes.
Now I just gotta get myself a Tranny cooler for the hotter months.

G

Unregistered
agree with all of the above, but also becareful of the weak point especially with constant furious shifts.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
the workshop has agreed to record all part numbers for me. they said most of the stuff comes in kit form but they will break them down and record as many details as possible for me
Love your work, Steve - a lot of people are going to be very grateful for this info :)

G

Unregistered
no problemo matey. happy to help when and where i can.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Shuddering at low RPM, Slow changes and Torque Converter not locking

Do you have shuddering at low RPM, slow or laggy gear changes when in automatic mode or the Torque Converter seems as though it is locking or locking intermittently?

YOU NEED A TRANS SERVICE!!!!

Either you are using incorrect trans oil, the oil is old and has broken down, you don't have enough in your gearbox, you have been too lazy to fit a trans cooler and it is overheating or some/all of the above.

i just imported a 97 VR4 legnum and when i accelerate steadily up hills, no mater how steep the hill, it shudders and makes a bit of a knocking. if i give it a bit more gas it stops but this can be a problem when you are already doing the speed limit.

And the response from the guru of all things VR-4 -

I reckon it's probably the trans fluid too. Get some mitsi SPIII or even better, Amsoil ATF

Mitsubishi SPIII or Amsoil ATF with Amsoil being the choice of the 2 are the ONLY oils you should be putting in your gearbox.

It is a common issue especially in the UK where SPIII is unavailable. Grabbing in 4th and 5th gear in particular at low speeds due to the oil being incorrect and causing the torque converter to lock up too soon, then slip, then lock, and in short order kill the oil, then itself.

And if you have a problem, get it fixed ASAP or you'll end up with an auto gearbox in the state mine is ;)

Top Bottom