The Automatic Transmission Thread

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Why? He recognises the value in servicing his car... ANYONE would recognise the lack of value in anything to do with Telstra :banghead:

G

Unregistered
dropped the car off this morning, will see how it pans out.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Good thread guys. Very informative and helpful.
How often should the complete ATF flush and filter change be done?

10,000k's or 12 months, whichever comes first

With the Amsoil i think its double that k's wise, but the Amsoil guru's might be able to let you know, i is not dat cleva wif dat stuff lol....

G

Unregistered
im assuming a little more than 10,000kms if you have a trans cooler fitted? either way annually mine will be getting done.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
10,000kms is too often for a complete flush!
Maybe drop the sump every 10,000 - even that would be above the Mitsubishi service interval.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
10,000kms is too often for a complete flush!
Maybe drop the sump every 10,000 - even that would be above the Mitsubishi service interval.

That would be above and Mitsubishi Japan's yes, but we're not in Japan and our climate here is very different and a lot more intensive on our gearboxes.

Aussie Mitsubishi gearbox's are a bit different with better cooling etc designed for our climate which means they will have a higher interval as well.

Once a year should be safe for most but i do more than 10000k's a year so its about every 9 months for me.

We could drop the sump except these gearboxes don't have one ;)

An oil change and filter (for those that have on) is all that is REQUIRED every 10000k's but a flush IMO is far safer and easier to do while you're already doing the service...

I'm starting to become more religious about doing things like this, as a well serviced car will generally last longer and have less issues, even though i copped a broken gearbox anyway :(

Lol.....

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
More HEAT issues

Here is another extract from a different thread -

If that oil gets too hot, it won't work as it should.

The oil will get the hottest at the highest vehicle speed with the lowest RPM, between 55 and 60km/h when it shifts into 5th which is the exact issues you have described.

Why? Because the engine RPM controls the speed the oil is pushed through the cooling system (i won't go into details) but the internal components in your gearbox are moving at a speed required to make the car go 60km/h which is quite fast for not much oil being moved creating LOTS of heat

Being that most Aussie suburban streets are 50 - 60km/h speed zones, this presents quite an issue!

G

Unregistered
i rang them about an hour ago...legnum wont be fixed till middle of next week now – troubles in getting part of the diff off that sends power to the rear wheels (or something like that?) apparently once the trans comes off, this component should just ‘slide’ off but its not, its jammed on there so they seem to think that perhaps part of the little ring/clip that broke is wedged inside somewhere and stopping this part from being able to be taken off :( they said they may have to try and remove this component bit by bit? to try and get it off...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Stephen, that would be the transfer case. There are a few threads on how to remove it. Print them off and give the guys the print outs

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
H'uh? Of course we do..
It's at the bottom (duh) and holds approx 4.5ltrs of ATF.

Lol...... We don't have a REMOVABLE sump i should say, only a drain plug

I'm up to 60 hours of work so far this week, its taking its toll :(

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Dawso, what were the first signs of your gearbox giving up on you and how long did it take for it to finally "break" after seeing the signs?

The only sign is chunks of metal being pulled from your gearbox at service....

Sorry bro, thats about it!

When the box starts playing silly buggars, get it checked out :(

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
i rang them about an hour ago...legnum wont be fixed till middle of next week now – troubles in getting part of the diff off that sends power to the rear wheels (or something like that?) apparently once the trans comes off, this component should just ‘slide’ off but its not, its jammed on there so they seem to think that perhaps part of the little ring/clip that broke is wedged inside somewhere and stopping this part from being able to be taken off :( they said they may have to try and remove this component bit by bit? to try and get it off...

Boo..... :(

This is looking worse for getting mine done too

*sigh

G

Unregistered
Stephen, that would be the transfer case. There are a few threads on how to remove it. Print them off and give the guys the print outs
cheers matey. i searched but couldnt really find anything about how to actually remove the t/c.

G

Unregistered
im assuming its a similar setup to the evo's and my sss where the passenger driveshaft needs to be removed in order for the t/c to come out?

Top Bottom