The Automatic Transmission Thread

tsai1

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Ben
Drive
01 legnum
Ok just had a good look under the car and I think Ive found the Problem. There is a good oil leak coming from the gearbox in the seal on the far passenger side. So off to get a quote for a rebuild.Have I read somewhere on the forum that it is the same gearbox as a verada magna mine is a 2001 fl is this right or am i dreaming things cheers guys.

PUDG3_VR4

The Unlucky One....
First Name
BJ
Drive
2015 Ford Fiesta ST
2002 Volvo V70 XC Cross Country
Where are all the sensors for the flashing Neutral light? Happened to me last night on the way home. Thought it was heat and babied it home.

Went to go out this morning and Neutral is still flashing when in D.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

If anyone has spare time and a code puller I'd be over the moon :)

G

Unregistered
The flashing neutral light can be a number of things, you will need to pull the codes first and find out exactly what the errors are. For this, you only need a paper clip or short piece of wire.

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?7107-Random-lights&p=124769&viewfull=1#post124769

If it turns out to be either the input or output shaft sensor, they are on the top of the transmission and can be accessed by removing the airbox and a couple of other bits. The output shaft one is dead easy to get to, remove the airbox and it's right there.

I thought I had posted a guide for the input shaft sensor, but maybe not as I can't find it. Here's the steps to access it though:

The input shaft sensor is mounted on the top of the automatic transmission casing, directly below the thermostat housing and underneath the front turbo intake pipe.

Replacing the input shaft sensor:

1. Remove snorkel & entire air box.
2. Remove inhibitor switch bolt & lift off metal L bracket.
3. Pinch the shifter cable's plastic tabs where it passes through the cable guide bracket and slide it up & out.
4. Unbolt the front cable stay/riser, near the inhibitor switch.
5. Unbolt the cable guide bracket, wiggle it out towards front of car and remove.
6. Locate the sensor, underneath the front turbo intake pipe.
7. With a blow gun & some carby cleaner, spray all around the sensor making sure all dirt is removed. It must be 100% clean otherwise dirt will fall into your transmission when you remove the sensor. There usually is a lot of crap accumulated around there such as bits of disintegrated conduit etc.
8. Unbolt the sensor
9. Give it a wiggle & remove! I gently grabbed it with pliers at its bolt hole.

Installation is the reverse of the above :)

PUDG3_VR4

The Unlucky One....
First Name
BJ
Drive
2015 Ford Fiesta ST
Does the output shaft sensor have a bolt? Coz I can't see one?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354323239.997766.jpg

PUDG3_VR4

The Unlucky One....
First Name
BJ
Drive
2015 Ford Fiesta ST
Found me a paperclip and pulled 3 codes to do with trans. (Everything else wasn't showing anything so I guess that's a plus lol)

Codes were 31, 32 and 36. I checked the list and don't know what the abbreviations stand for?

G

Unregistered
The output shaft sensor is to the rear of the engine mount, and yes it does have a bolt.

Is that a photo of your actual transmission? Because the clip for the solenoid harness has come off and may have something to do with the problems you are experiencing.

Those codes are showing problems with the following solenoids:

31 Low and reverse solenoid valve system - Short circuit/open circuit
32 Underdrive solenoid valve system - Short circuit/open circuit
36 Damper control clutch solenoid valve system - Short circuit/open circuit

It's suspicious that all these solenoids would have problems at once, so I'd be inclined to say the external harness, connector or internal harness wiring is damaged.

PUDG3_VR4

The Unlucky One....
First Name
BJ
Drive
2015 Ford Fiesta ST
I had reattached that plug when I did the code checks.

Have pulled off, contact cleaned and reseated all of the plugs (visible) that lead into the auto trans, and still spitting out theses codes :(

Bit dis-heartening considering I've only had the beast for a week...

G

Unregistered
You should to disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes to clear the codes, then see if they come back again.

Did you re-fit that metal ring to the top left of the connecter? And did you take that off yourself, or was it already off? That shouldn't need to be removed to disconnect the connector.

PUDG3_VR4

The Unlucky One....
First Name
BJ
Drive
2015 Ford Fiesta ST
I took it off, thinking it was the output sensor, I then saw the actual sensor sitting up the back

PUDG3_VR4

The Unlucky One....
First Name
BJ
Drive
2015 Ford Fiesta ST
And left the battery off for a few hours connected it back up and the codes still come through

G

Unregistered
You need to work out what pins on that connector go to what solenoids, then check the resistance for each. I will have a look in my garage tomorrow and see if I have a spare harness to work out what pins are what, but I am pretty sure I gave it away to someone.

If they are ok, then next check the continuity from there connector back to the A/T ECU and that all related plugs are ok.

If that's OK then you can try swapping in an identical A/T ECU and see if that solves the problem, however they are matched to the transmission variant so this might prove difficult to find.

This might be of help to you too:

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?6441-A-T-ECU-Pinout-(Complete)-Series-1-Auto-Transmission-ECU

If you start at the ECU end of the harness you should be able to work out which ECU pins go to what pins of the solenoid pack connector, then you can test each solenoid after that.

PUDG3_VR4

The Unlucky One....
First Name
BJ
Drive
2015 Ford Fiesta ST
I'm assuming the solenoids are inside the gearbox? (Sorry owned manuals all my life) Could they have been damaged at some point?

xtech

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Ryan
Drive
Legnum
Usually would just be a short in the harness. Happened to me and a friend. We Just moved the harness until it found a new sweet spot. Could not be bothered find the fault.

PUDG3_VR4

The Unlucky One....
First Name
BJ
Drive
2015 Ford Fiesta ST
So been fiddling all day with the plugs to no avail. Can anyone recommend a transmission shop that is familiar with the our cars in Brisbane?

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
Im not sure on any good ones in Brisbane.can only tell where NEVER to go... Dont think there is any out our side of town

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
not sure about transmissions but APC have worked on vr4s a fair bit. Is carmen imports in qld somewhere? They do a bit with vr4s i think.

PUDG3_VR4

The Unlucky One....
First Name
BJ
Drive
2015 Ford Fiesta ST
Been sitting on it all day and am biting the bullet.
Going to order solenoids, master kit w/steels & internal harness from Cobra. Figured might as well fix the wave spring before it becomes an issue :)
Aussie dollar is good at the moment too, which is nice :)

Top Bottom