The Automatic Transmission Thread

MR2QIK

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jay
Drive
Gen3 MR2 Turbo, FD3S S8 Type R Bathurst RX7, Lexus IS250, FL Legnum VR4
They claim it was sitting there when they dropped the box.

I understand that when the boxes fail bigtime as a result of the pins or wavespring, it's a expensive rebuild/fix. But since the box was ok when it arrived, I don't see a reason to go all out & go over the whole transmission.

Always suspicious & nervous when transmissions are removed. Most mechanics & transmission builders I've seen insist that a rebuild should be done at that time, often despite the box being relatively fresh & displaying no problems.

MR2QIK

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jay
Drive
Yeah, I had a look and sent that to Meek even so we're on the same page. Really good work with that write up by the way.

MR2QIK

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jay
Drive
This actually leads me to question their findings looking at the diagram. Maybe it was part of the wave spring they saw.....?

If I wasn't in meetings most of the week, I'd have checked for myself.

G

Unregistered
If they drained the oil and bits of metal came out then yes that's possible, but not simple from unbolting and removing the transmission from the car.

MR2QIK

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jay
Drive
Thanks a lot for your research/thread. Ended up costing $450 to change the wave spring for a stronger unit (had the inferior one), replace filter & weld the pins. Rest of the box was inspected & found to be in good condition. Potential future crisis averted.

Glad I was persistent in pushing for a better than nothing solution.

I owe you a beer.....lol

MR2QIK

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jay
Drive
temporary.jpg

Another broken wave spring.

VR4Legs

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Mark
Drive
99 Legnum Type S
Driving my car today and it starts whining like nothing else. Had it trucked back to the mechanic where he drained the transfer case and it was full of shavings. More than likely a bearing failure. Does this sound right and if so can the bearing be replaced or would it be better to replace the whole transfer case. Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
If it is just the bearings, i would rebuild it but if the gears have any "plastic deformation" you would be better off replacing it.

babylon6

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Tony G
Drive
GTA
Anyone got any pics of the welding that is done? Or a description of what is done?

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Anyone got any pics of the welding that is done? Or a description of what is done?

I don't have pics, but the welds are done to the planetary set that gets removed to get to the wavespring.

There are three pins that each hold a sun gear.

Quick zing of mig welder to the top of each pin is what I've done in the past... Try to keep the splatter to a minimum and clean it up well before putting it back into the box.

Roy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Roy Repas
Drive
EC5W 99 and 98 (twin FLs), EC5A 96, E39A 89
I was driving then lost drive whilst still engaged in D. Reverse still sort of working. Oil was everywhere. No unusual noise.Happened just now. I am still currently on oxenford exit coming heading south on pacific hwy

Roy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Roy Repas
Drive
Anyone know someone in southeast qld that can help. ?

Roy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Roy Repas
Drive
Yes it looks like one of the clamps was not on properly. Hope it did not do too much damage. Anyone know what specific atf we meant to use. Still dont know why this happened. I have driven it for at least 10,000 k without any hiccups.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
im not nearby, but the fluid that you need is ATF with SPIII

Burson does have Fuchs ATF 4400

otherwise mitsubishi dealer and get diaqueen SPIII

and make sure you get 10 liters.. not 5l as you'll need fluid to circulate through to the torque converter and lines..

Roy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Roy Repas
Drive
I managed to get it towed by some towie who was nice enough to stop by but charged me an arm and a leg. I first told him i had no cash and was offering to love him long time. Whaha. He looked gay but was the big buff type gay muscle head. No wonder he stopped by. I guess he does not like big fat guys. Hehe. No offence intended to anyone here if your gay. Got 3 cousins who are gay. So i had some fluid at home. tried putting fluid in. Fully synthetic racing stuff i had lying around. put about 4litres and it was already full. do i need to try putting more in?

Top Bottom