The Automatic Transmission Thread

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I managed to get it towed by some towie who was nice enough to stop by but charged me an arm and a leg. I first told him i had no cash and was offering to love him long time. Whaha. He looked gay but was the big buff type gay muscle head. No wonder he stopped by. I guess he does not like big fat guys. Hehe. No offence intended to anyone here if your gay. Got 3 cousins who are gay. So i had some fluid at home. tried putting fluid in. Fully synthetic racing stuff i had lying around. put about 4litres and it was already full. do i need to try putting more in?

4 liter's no where near enough...

when you run the engine that oil will go into the torque converter, leaving your reserve empty..

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
I was at a mechanics today and an auto electrician who was visiting said he had just seen a legnum at another workshop where they were spending ages trying to figure out how to remove the automatic transmission... Didn't say what the problem was, he might have just been giving me shit

Roy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Roy Repas
Drive
EC5W 99 and 98 (twin FLs), EC5A 96, E39A 89
yeah boys bad news... shes rooted... it would run but like I can hear metal stuff being grinded like when you hear those council dudes and their tree shredder turning stuff into mulch...
photo-1.jpg
photo-2.jpg

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Oh god, was it a hose to an aftermarket trans cooler or one of the factory bits?
I think I'm gonna go tighten my hose clamps now...

I didn't realise the trans lines held that much pressure

Roy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Roy Repas
Drive
well it was factory.. and you know the funny thing was I never ever checked it until today...1 clamp must have given way.. but now is all grinding..

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Can you post a photo of where and what hose caused blew off? Sorry to hear its dead.

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
Last time that happened to me was to my aftermarket cooler,

hose clamp cut through hose and had a pin hole leak, lost engagement in gears but I knew fluid was the cause,

Roy, did you have the engine on while topping up? As Christian said, torque converter needs to suck it up, good 5l of, so if you keep topping, may be lucky and hopefully grind noise disappears.

to the people that don't know, auto trans builds up a lot of psi in lines, particularly in the higher rpm, that, plus hot oil, better check

Roy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Roy Repas
Drive
I have not tried anything since as I was too busy... will try mucking around with it now... so the suggestion is to keep the engine on??? does it have to be in gear or just engine on??? whilst topping it up... coz it starts to grind as soon as you engage it in something... and I did check the oil and it was full when in park.. good thing is the N is not flashing anymore

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
If you do manage to get it filled up and stop grinding, dont just leave that "fully synthetic racing stuff" in the box, get it flushed and filled with proper mitsubishi ATF SPIII

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I have not tried anything since as I was too busy... will try mucking around with it now... so the suggestion is to keep the engine on??? does it have to be in gear or just engine on??? whilst topping it up... coz it starts to grind as soon as you engage it in something... and I did check the oil and it was full when in park.. good thing is the N is not flashing anymore

umm.. you fill it.. start the engine for 2 secs or so.. then stop it.. check the dipstick, then fill again..

if its grinding, most likely something gave way inside the box..

doing the above mentioned procedure might cause more damage.. i suggest you drop the fluid into a clean open container so you can check for any metal pieces.. if any..

then go from there..

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Well after reading through most of this thread and while I haven't noticed any symptoms from the box yet I think I will just bite the bullet so I can stop worrying about it.

Can someone in QLD who has had it done recommend a place around brisbane to get an automatic transmission checked out and strengthened?
Preferably somewhere on the southside (or even better, bayside) but I am willing to travel a bit to take it somewhere that knows what they are doing.

Thanks
(Not sure if this should be posted here or the VR4-Friendly Workshop thread though?)

babylon6

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Tony G
Drive
GTA
I don't have pics, but the welds are done to the planetary set that gets removed to get to the wavespring.

There are three pins that each hold a sun gear.

Quick zing of mig welder to the top of each pin is what I've done in the past... Try to keep the splatter to a minimum and clean it up well before putting it back into the box.

So here's the thing I don't get. I have never seen a W5A51 that failed due to this planetary. I have however seem lots failing due to the direct drive planetaries failing. Does anyone know where and why this mod started?

I have stripped both planetaries out and had them both welded. I had the pins welded at both ends just to be safe.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
I disconnected my battery a few weeks ago to install an amp and speakers. As expected it reset the TCU resulting in very hard shifts. All the shifts have smoothed out except when going down from 4th to 3rd it is very hard sometimes even a clunk. This happens always in tiptronic mode and sometimes in auto when I drive a bit erratically.Is there a way to smooth out the shifts by a certain driving technique perhaps? Or do I need to be patient and wait for the TCU logic to relearn itself? Or is something wrong?

JamesGC

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
James
Drive
97 Legnum (COTY)
with my 7th gen galant there was a computer relearn procedure to follow. on the first key start youre supposed to let it sit there and idle for about 5 mins, then take it for a drive changing up through all gears and down again. calibrates itself based on how you drive during the first 40 key starts. guessing its the same or similar for 8th gen.

G

Unregistered
Reset again and try to vary your driving style without going overly hard for a couple of days. If you want to force it, then just drive around back streets for about 30 minutes, and mix it up with a little driving on main roads. Try to get a variation of stop-starts and shifting up through the gears. Cruising is of no help, so if you find you aren't changing through the gears take a turn off and head into the back streets again.

However before you do get moving after resetting, leave the car sit for about 15 mins while it learns the idle. You will find that the air-con comes on after a reset, many people mistakenly turn it off but it comes on for a reason. You need to allow the air-con to cycle on and off and the ECU needs to learn the correct idle amount to bump up for the extra load.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Makes so much sense. Thanks once again. I did try and search for this but I couldnt find anything.

Top Bottom