The Automatic Transmission Thread

VR4STHOZ

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
shane
Drive
1999 Legnum Type-S
I have a leaking input shaft seal... Jon diagnosed it last service but since then I have moved near victor Harbor(far far away from driven) and I need to getting sorted soon.. Any idea on where down south or approx what it will cost me?

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Hi guys, tried searching but there is just too much conflicting info over the years, what is the go with TCU cross compatibility? Can you swap a 3E6A gearbox into the place of a 3E6B?

Would the TCU need to be swapped too? Or is it just not possible at all?

Thanks.

pbaron

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Pierre
Drive
Super VR-4
I have fitted a 3E6A trans in place of a 3E6B, you do have to replace the the TCU though or you will have problems with starting off from stopped, I drove mine like this for a couple of weeks putting it in tip and getting it to start off in 2nd, a bit painful in round town driving. I found it difficult tracking down an early pfl metal case TCU but when I did and fitted it the trans worked ok. The 3E6B and later transmissions shift better and behave better on downshifting to 1 when pulling up at intersections. I would pass on the 3E6A trans if you could and just find another 3E6B.
Hi guys, tried searching but there is just too much conflicting info over the years, what is the go with TCU cross compatibility? Can you swap a 3E6A gearbox into the place of a 3E6B?

Would the TCU need to be swapped too? Or is it just not possible at all?

Thanks.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
I can get a TCU for it easy enough, it's going to be sitting in a freshly converted manual pretending to be in neutral, just need to swap it out for mine if necessary.

Is the TCU for either box flashable?

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Is the 3e6a and 3e6b related to pfl or fl. Year of manufacture or are there any other physical differences such as internal or external filter. Just curious?

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
both are pfl with external filter. haven't spotted an owc badge on either.

basically my gearbox is running fine but I want to get this other box strengthened and swap it in

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Think the 3a6b was from the first of the owc gearboxes, which has the external filter. In the later versions they removed the external filter. I have very early FL with one in it. So 97/98 was most likely the cut over.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
I just checked mine out and I have 99/00 Fl with 3a6b with OWC and no external filter. I just finished reading the Transmission variants thread and I will post my data up there

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Slightly off topic but not really - my friend's 2005 Magna automatic transmission just failed after 250,000 kms. Given that it's basically the same transmission, I end up wondering if there is a similar knowledge base over on the Magna forums...?

I did tell him a few years ago about the wave spring problem, but I don't think he took much notice. Now he's faced with a repair bill equal to the value of the car.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
yeah, but the preventative cost would have been about equal to the cost of the car too wouldn't it?

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
250000kms is good, something is going to fail eventually that is going to cost a lot to repair or replace.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Yep, same reason dad's timing belt in his th magna had to last from 150,000kms till it's death at 340,000kms, it wasn't worth the cost once it cracked 250k, and something else was likely to go anyway... His was 4sp auto BTW, never once missed a beat.

justin

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
justin
Drive
1999 legnum 2.5 auto
hey guys, just seeing if this has happened to anyone else.

on the weekend i drove us coast, was hot and bout an hour and half of high way driving.

going down a steep windy road the gear bos got stuck in 3rd.

there was no response in the tip tronic and 3rd and neutral were flashing on the instrument panel.

i pulled over and let the car cool down for about 5 minutes then turned it off.
was all good but i did it again not long after,

i bought an oil cooler thinking maybe it just over heated, has anyone else experienced this?

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Stuck in third is limp mode, as far as I know. You should pull up your error codes to see what the fault is. There is a thread that tells you how to do this or you need an MUT diagnostics tool. I would also check your fluid level and condition. The fluid should be raspberry soda red and smell kinda sweet. If its brownish feels gritty and smells burnt it is no good and needs changing. Start with the basics first. I hope this helps

justin

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
justin
Drive
1999 legnum 2.5 auto
thank you,

yeah fluid is fine, same level and colour,

i will try with codes,

i have a new filter just havent had time to install it and change fluid,

looks like i have a busy weekend lol

justin

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
justin
Drive
1999 legnum 2.5 auto
hey guys, i checked out that link and tried connecting the pins to run diagnosis

for some reason my video refuses to load on to website

with the abs light flashing constantly,

the engine light flashes twice in a second, then a pause for about 5 seconds then it flashes once again,
there is a pause for a while and it repeats that process.

the diagnoses list doesnt expain how to identify accuratley how to recognise what the car is telling you,

if anyone knows what it could be , advice would be much appreciated.

justin

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
justin
Drive
1999 legnum 2.5 auto
i just googled another forum, someone has explained in a term i can understand,

so looks like my coolant temperature sensor,

im guessing going into limp mode , that was the cars attempt to maintain a safe running tempt

Top Bottom