The Automatic Transmission Thread

babylon6

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Tony G
Drive
GTA
Could be ATF levels. These are a pig to get right. 1st to second slamming is unlikely to be pressure as both gears are on the same planetary. try driving it in manual for a few days to retrain it.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
I see.. Is there anything special you need to do when marrying the gearbox to the engine to align it? We kind of just matched the dowels and bolted it together.

PHIL069

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Phil
Drive
FTO
Are you checking the fluid level with the trans at operating temp, engine running, select through all gear positions a few times, put in park, engine still running, check level, should be at hot mark.

...and bypass the thermostat before you try to find any other issues, as you might be wasting your time.

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
^^^^^
I thought you leave in in Neutral after you get the car to normal temp ?
Basically get car to normal temp, in park select all gears then leave it in Neutral (engine still running) and check the dipstick. Or is that wrong ?

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Well tonight I ran without a cooler at all, just a loop of hose, for no change at all.

Tomorrow I think I will do a trans flush to see if there might have been some old fluid or something built up over all the time sitting, maybe even condensation or something...

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Did a flush today, another 11L gone and no change. I doubt I filled the levels exactly wrong twice too.

Considering putting some auto transmission additive in out of desperation... I don't know what to try next.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Finally logged diagnostic codes tonight, only 64 from the engine, something about the alternator, I suspect it is due to failed cold starts dropping voltage too much. Is not the 1st time I have seen that code.

TCL gave error 61: A / T-ECU and the communication system
Did newer cars have TCL? If not I can only assume it is wired in differently, like how the AYC is a completely different computer in earlier vs late models.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Oh well, the new box just helped me score a PB at the drag strip, I guess I will live with the shifting after all :D

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Mine has started to do the "limp mode" thing and is quite hot when I pop the bonnet. More to come.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Mine has started to do the "limp mode" thing and is quite hot when I pop the bonnet. More to come.

not a good sign. did you see your temp gauge go up as well?

check your atf fluid, check for discoloration - should be red, smell it and see if it smells like it is burnt

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
Check engine coolant to see if it's mixing unless you run a separate cooler

Bujpls

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
James
Drive
1999 Legnum
Just for those guys in vic; I called up k&c automotive in Blackburn. They immediately didn't shy away when I said legnum and asked about if they'd worked on the autos at all, they said they hadn't but had a few manuals and stuff come in.
The guy I spoke to said to call on Monday and have a chat to another guy there that works there who is more informed on Legnum's.
I've read through a few threads now and haven't managed to find heaps in the way of anywhere to go for the automatics in Victoria.
So pending how it goes etc we may have a place down here! Will post results once I know what they say (y)

Driftnslyd

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jake
Drive
98 Legnum VR-4
Hi guys, i was just wondering after If someone could hel me....
Iv jst removed my transfer case from my Auto transmission. And when I removed the driver side CV joint i had auto trans fluid come out as soon as the CV was removed.
B my question is.... is that normal or do i have a blow seal n witch one could it be??

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
All fine, the front diff is inside the transfer case and shares lubricant with your gearbox. The transfer case oil only gets to the back half.

You will see the little O-ring on the flange where the transfer case mates to the gearbox, that transfers the atf (or manual oil) into the case.

Driftnslyd

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jake
Drive
98 Legnum VR-4
Cheers mate u saved me from stressing out n thinking that i fucked up something when I removed it lol

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
2004 Ford Territory 4 sp Dual fuel
2006 Ford Territory 6 sp Dual fuel
Just want to know if anyone can measure their ATF dipstick from the base of the plug that would be "flush to the top of the tube" down to the "full" marking?
I just changed CV axles and dropped some fluid, went to pull out the ATF dipstick and tujrns out I only have half of one.... Need to fabricate a dipstick to top up the fluid please. Also when changing CV what is the best process to replace this lost fluid? Going on the service manual I would simply top up through the dipstick tube until it reaches the cold level, idle it a couple mins in neutra. Chck again topup drive check.
Thanks

Top Bottom