the tread thread

G

Unregistered
this is a thread for yre recomendations, prices and
sizes. and all other relevant info....

ive been getting quotes for the only size tyres that will fit on the rims currently on my car 215/40/18.

got quotes from a various place with all ranging from $200+ depending on quality. so at the moment ive opted for some hankooks for the front for $265 each. they are the top of the range hankooks. then will get another two of them or better for the front later and move them to the back. i want to lower the back so i have to keep this size tyre.

but im wondering will it cause issues with our cars computers or anything if we run a tyre on the front with a slighlty larger tyre wall than the rear but keep the same width all round??

cheers guys

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Well if you're after experiences with tyres on VR4s, I run Circling 235/40 R18s. Crap, but $110 each. They don't have a whole lot of grip but until my car has power I think they're fine. I haven't even crashed once.

G

Unregistered
yeah i know brad but i dont know if i will be able to run them under my suspension arm. other rims i have tried hit that arm so easily. so do you know if i can run 215's on the rear so i can lower it and run 225's on the front without any problems?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
running 215's at the front and 225's at the front is going to cause problems.

What offset are you running? Many MANY members have 235's all round, infact I'm running 235's on both of my VR-4's I currently own.

G

Unregistered
ive got 18x7.5" rims with +42 offset. so if i was able to fit 225's all round, are they generall going to be cheaper than 265 per tyre?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
You'll be ok with 225's and that offset. My tyres are effectively 1mm further in that yours and mine are slightly taller too (235/45/17 has a bigger diameter than 225/40/18)

No idea about price!

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
Yes, 225/40's will most certainly be cheaper then 265/35's. In saying that 235's will be even cheaper still but running an 18x7.5 wheel on a Legnum 225/40R18 should be your tyre of choice.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Running Hankook RS2's. Awesome tyre. Normally about $260ish a pop. 225/40R18.

I picked a set up for $150 a tyre from a clearance sale that Tempe had. WINNAHHHHH!!!!!

Had 235/40R18 Zeetex on before these. Let's just say that they were tyres. Much like Tim's Circlings.

G

Unregistered
Buy spacers.

yeah ive actually managed to find 215/40/18 pirelli's worth $300 for $200 each. so im going to get them, get the coilovers lowered at the same time, and a balance and see if she scrapes, if it dont, i will consider spacers. my front wheels sit in line with the guards at the moment, so a little further out would be nice. i will let ya know in a week or so how it goes

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
my front wheels sit in line with the guards at the moment, so a little further out would be nice. i will let ya know in a week or so how it goes

You have 18 x 7.5 +42 wheels and they are "in line" with the guards? They sit 23mm further in than mine, they would hardly be "in line" with the guards...

The issue with having such a narrow wheel is you cannot get a decent sized tyre on it to minimise rubbing should you choose the run a 20mm bolt on spacer. You might be alright though. Man up and jsut do it ;)

HAHAHA @ Tim. I see what you did there...

Well, I saved ATLEAST $400 so that's enough win for me :p

Alas, no cheapo chrome was attached :(

G

Unregistered
sorry dude, i meant 18x7.5 +32 offset. so yeah they are further out than +42 so the fronts sit just under the wheel arch. but i will see how a 5mm - 8mm bolt on looks with the new tread next weekend.

James

Crunching Gears
First Name
James
Drive
1999 Facelift Peal Legnum VR4
I'm running 225/40 18" Pirelli P7000's, as mentioned in another thread, I'm replacing them very shortly... Looking at Toyo's or maybe the Goodyear Eagle F1's...

Looking at spending around $1k or so... Reckon I'm on the right track (pardon the pun)

G

Unregistered
so do you rate the pirellis? mine are 215/40/18 and they worth 300 and gettin them for 200 so im fair happy. booked in for saturday

James

Crunching Gears
First Name
James
Drive
1999 Facelift Peal Legnum VR4
Yeah they are a good tyre, had them on other cars too, good kilometres and quiet, comfortable and good grip. - Mine are cracked still have plenty of tread but they are "out of date" they were on the car when imported.

G

Unregistered
oh ok cool. yeah my current tyres are the jap ones, cracked, bald rears, uneven wear all round. slippery and crap

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Does anyone have a recommendation for tyres for $200 and below. Going on 17in evo 5 wheels

Top Bottom