Thoughts on brake disc / rotor wear.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
The slots in my brembo's discs are all but gone.

I called my local brake place I trust and they said the life of a disc is nominally 2mm and the slots would be at least 1m deep so if they are gone both sides then your disc life is over.

Now I had a mate look and said PFFFFTT what are you racing on them? They will be fine I wouldn't bother for ages.

Anyhow I don't have a lot of faith in the mate of course but the conflict in opinion made me think.

New uber discs are $750 + post from hipsi, just slotted are $585 from hipsi which would be equivalent.

I found DBA slotted discs for $1100 + post

OR for brembo discs a full set $1400 + post

Had a look on evo forums and foudn a guy who has some OEM fronts which I can score for $50 which will need machining.

I didn't realsie but the OEM discs for an evo don't have slots or dimples!

So a couple of questions here more like opening a discussion on the topic.

I have brembo's and braided lines so I am pretty used to having great stopping power.

Also my pads are about 50% thorugh there life from the look of them, but I need to check insides as well.

The Red stuff pads are ~$500 all corners and those QRM? ones are about $200.. but are not in stock for brembo fronts yet..

If I was a fat cat I would go the RDA golds and red stuff pads in a second but I'm not. Gone back to uni this week so i'm part timing at work again blah blah $$ blah blah $$.

Please give me your 2c. Cheers lads.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
hmmmm,

i'm fully RDA dimpled and slotted with green stuffs, (well will be after I install my rears this weekend)

I think from memory there is a minimum rotor thickness so second hand one will have to have enough material left on them to allow for machining + service life.

spose it comes down to "what price do you put on safety"

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
Hugh, $504 sounds very cheap for DBA. They're normally close to double the price of RDA. Are you sure that price is for a full set? I know they're generally priced per rotor, not in pairs.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Ahh that would make sense the quote was for $254/each front&rear. which I assumed was per set. Clearly I was wrooooooong.

Also got quoted $750 for a pair of brembo front discs and $650 for rears.

I was told that the Brembo discs would have a longer life than the DBA too.

Those slotted RDA discs look like a damn good price now :O

As far as what price would you put on safety... would you reckon a set of oem discs which are actually over the rc. thickness and inside there life span are safer than whatever I have which are probably under thickness?

Also when the discs are as low as mine am I risking have them shatter or anything? My braking efficiency hasn't seemed to reduce at all..

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I ran with 29.5mm and 19mm on mine for a while, no dramas.

Brembo rotors are:
320mm, 32mm thick, minimum 29.8mm
300mm, 22mm thick, minimum 20mm

I would measure yours and see what they actually are! If they are under minimum then I would replace them.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Cheers brad.

I actually got around to measuring.
front 29.9 / 29
rear 20.4 / 20.0

So I guess they are only low not dangerously under. Better go do some track days :p

Top Bottom