Torque Converter Seal

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Thats a great thread Mallen. It's certainly given a lot of knowledge to those of us still waiting for our cars, and especially for one of the weak links to VR4 breakage.:(

I know one thing; I'm going to get to mine before I get any probems and mine's done 75,000k, more than yours.:eek:

Gooch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bob
Drive
J-Spec Vr-4 1990, 2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Bingo! Mines gone as well

Hey guys,
Hit by the dreaded TC Seal issue.
I am starting to think this might be a manufacturing problem on the car and I wonder if it can be classified for a recall and fix?
Iam not technical but what are the main reasons why a torque converter goes?

Saddly still waiting for my car to hit the road in anger. :banghead:

Cheers

Bob

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Hey guys,
I am starting to think this might be a manufacturing problem on the car and I wonder if it can be classified for a recall and fix?

Cheers

Bob

Hey Mate,

I think that theory has been floating around for a while now but I don't know how you will go with it. But the problem as far as I understand is that there's no lip on the TC seal with the old ones. When you get a new one it'll look different but I think that almost all of us will have to replace it...

The reason mine had to be reconditioned is that the tip/snout was worn slightly and wouldn't seal properly.

Good luck with it mate... :)

G

Unregistered
Hey guys,

Cheers

Bob

You must remember these cars are low or private imports and are not covered by any recall that may occur or have occured in other countries. If the only problem you get is a TQ seal I think its preety good considering you have a TQ spinning up to 7000rpms with its mass weight. Also has the cars first owner been the type to stall the box up and over stress it. They 're a preety good box considering the power they deal with.

Gooch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bob
Drive
J-Spec Vr-4 1990, 2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S
TQ Seal

Point taken EVO-X and absolutely agree.

But just hurting that I cant drive the thing in anger. Its like a kid with a new toy that takes batteries and there are none! :ROFLMAO:

Cheers
Maybe we should sticky this as a common issue??

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
How about this for the sticky: If you buy an auto VR-4, the gearbox will die, so here is what you do

Seriously, and I remember saying this in the very early days of ozvr4, don't buy an auto in Aussie! Enough die in NZ and the UK and our days never get as hot as yours do, and we have a wide selection of parts here, you could get a vr-4 gearbox for less than $500 off trademe within 2 days most of the time, over there it is $3000 and a 2 week rebuild.

G

Unregistered
Hey there, just wondering where you all got your seals from?
Cheers

wicked05

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Tai&Kym
Drive
99VR4Galantseries2/HSV Grange
Hey guys and girls.

I/m just a newbie we are suffering the same problem will keep you all posted. We brought ours sunshine coast qld last weekend drove home townsville 1.5 litres needed to top up. Cheers Tai.

G

Unregistered
I ended up getting my seals through Mark Horner (Delicashop.com) for a good price delivered to my door. Mark has done a great job sourcing Delica parts over the years, and is hopefully going to set up for Legnums as well. He already has all the contacts with Mitsu Japan, so it should be good.

Top Bottom