Tune Weekend v4.0 - Oct 15/16 - Molendinar

Johnny_k

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Johnny
Drive
97 COTY Legnum & 09 Astra
Well tried the heater. Little impact. We have stopped at springfield lakes. Its taken 2 hrs to get less the half way:-(. Dont know what the fck has happened to her but i dont like it. Its like anything more the 10% throtal sends the temp going crazy.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Big thanks to Steve for coming up here and putting up with QLDs notoriously problematic VR4s. Car now runs much nicer, far more response down low and plenty of extra power without even having to jack the boost up to high.

Also a huge thanks to Trev, for working on our cars without even needing to be asked, providing the shed and putting yourself out having to hang around all weekend away from your family. Your tune was done was first but you were the last to leave, thanks mate.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Well tried the heater. Little impact. We have stopped at springfield lakes. Its taken 2 hrs to get less the half way:-(. Dont know what the fck has happened to her but i dont like it. Its like anything more the 10% throtal sends the temp going crazy.
I think the sludge you found in your coolant has probably blocked the coolant lines, it will need to be flushed out properly.

Abusive

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 Legnum
Well what can I say, Trev and Steve = (insert choice of word here). Your efforts were outstanding. I'm sorry I left while you were having a snooze Trev, couldn't bring myself to wake you just to say thanks, I think you know how much I appreciate what you have done. Steve, your skills are beyond great, you deserve more praise than words can say. Christian, thank you for your talents and speed on the plug install and re-assembly.

I hope you get home OK Johnny, that hill is going to be terrible, I wish I had some way of getting you and your family up there. Glad to hear you were smart enough to catch some zz's before you took on the journey.

I look forward to hearing that Steve and Trevor made it to their respective destinations safely, albeit tired as hell. Matt glad you got home ok.

Edit : I'll post some pics later.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
I am Happy and sad I left early. I wanted to stay and help more but damn I'm glad I got some sleep. Can only
Imagine how steve is going

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Also a huge thanks to Trev, for working on our cars without even needing to be asked, providing the shed and putting yourself out having to hang around all weekend away from your family. Your tune was done was first but you were the last to leave, thanks mate.

Well what can I say, Trev and Steve = (insert choice of word here). Your efforts were outstanding. I'm sorry I left while you were having a snooze Trev, couldn't bring myself to wake you just to say thanks, I think you know how much I appreciate what you have done. Steve, your skills are beyond great, you deserve more praise than words can say. Christian, thank you for your talents and speed on the plug install and re-assembly.

You know you guys are more than welcome. Anytime.

Justin, i hear your car is now a freak? Steve says it even pulls harder than Paulie's.

Johnny_k

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Johnny
Drive
Hey what do u guys reckon about bubbles coming up from the radiator and overflow Bottle?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Hey what do u guys reckon about bubbles coming up from the radiator and overflow Bottle?

As far as i remember (And i am in no way an expert on cooling systems) bubbles in radiator can mean a couple of things: Water pump cavitation. Creating a froth from the water/coolant mix. Head gasket leak. Causing air to get pushed into the water jacket.

With the head gasket leak, some say oil can get in to the water. So your water goes oily/milky.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Throw up a thread in the engine and trans subforum so we dont go offtopic here..

But a quick response and question..

How does it bubble? When you press the throttle or regardless while on idle.. Does your fan kick in at all?

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
Yeah I heard justins car is a freak and pull real hard. Jealous! Probably has a forged bottom end or something from Japan lol.

Also, re:bubbly coolant, if it was a headgasket, the oil in the sump would be milky and you'd be using coolant. If you're not using coolant I'd say the waterpump has jammed causing massive restrictions and cavitations. Would explain the crazy temps too

Johnny_k

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Johnny
Drive
Just got home. Most epic mission i have ever started. Did a chemical flush on the way. That got my temps just a fraction under half and stayed there the remainder of the way home apart from coming up the range

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I can say Steve made it safely to Cooly airport. Sorry i missed all you guys, but massive thanks to Steve for coming all the way to QLD and putting in epic effort.
Couldn't tune mine properly, apparently, the rat that had taken up residence a few weeks ago, (gone now) took a liking to my knock sensor wiring which constantly gave a knock of 9, so that was screwing with it.
Fried my ECU while flashing- my fault, for some reason i decided to turn the ignition off. Thankfully we used Steve's own ECU... DOH!

But we worked around all that and she's running much much better.:cool:

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
I wad saying to Steve this morning that I was looking forward to hearing how your fresh engine was going ti go.

The dreaded turn key off during flash hey? Good to hear you got a result.

Johnny_k

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Johnny
Drive
Good work jungle. I think we all wanted to speak to u about the rebuild u did.

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
Would've been kickass for me to give a full helping hand the whole day as opposed to stuff all at night

Wanted to catch up with everyone more, especiallly with Steve, and show you or give you a test drive in the car

All in all, definetly a great effort for all of us to be at a spot and help each other!

So far, QLD harsh temps, environment just seems to be taking a toll on the poor vr4s for the event

Definetly should start posting in the bbq section soon and make it happen!

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Joe isn't your idle stepper motor for a FL?

I've got a PFL one for sale.

If it's needed this would be best as from my memory Brad has/had TCL also which I think could make it different, not sure....

Top Bottom