Turbo Timer

G

Unregistered
Anybody know what wire is the ignition wire on the legnums?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Steve, you don't need a turbo timer on a VR4... or indeed any turbo car made in the last 15 years. Quite appart from the fact that they're illegal in every state in Australia.

G

Unregistered
Just doing some research found this on wikidpedia....

A turbo timer is a device designed to keep an automotive engine running for a pre-specified period of time in order to automatically execute the cool-down period required to prevent premature turbo wear and failure. After a period of driving when a turbocharger has been working hard, it is important to let the engine run at idle speed for a period of time, allowing the compressor assembly to cool from the lower gas temperatures in both the exhaust and intake tracts. At the same time the lubricating oil from the engine is able to circulate properly so the turbine won't burn the lubricating oil that would otherwise be trapped within the charger with the turbine rotating at high speed. With regard to modern automotive turbochargers, the need for a turbo timer can be eliminated by simply ensuring the car does not produce any 'boost' (during driving) for several minutes prior to the ignition being shut off.

Now the reason you should let your car cool down is so if the material cools too fast it can warp/shatter/get fractures, and/or sieze a bearing if said bearing hasnt got the lubricant keeping it cool as it changes state.
If you don't let the oil cool down before switching the engine off, the turbo could get cooking (dried oil deposits) which blocks the oilways inside . The result with blocked oilways is less oil reaching the bearings inside turbo and eventually turbo failure.

So do you NEED a turbo timer?? the answer is not really unless your impatient. a lil bit of 'light' throttle action (i.e OFF boost) b4 you reach your destination and by the time you get out of the car should have allowed the oil to circulate enough. however if you always 'drive it like you stole it' you do need to let the engine idle for a set amount of time for this process to occur effectively.

Timer +++ = Get out and leave ur car, helps to reduce turbo wear.

Timer ---- = Illegal, easier to have ur car stolen

Conclusion... Personal preference. Just let it cool before turning off the engine.

Adrian

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Adrian
Drive
98 VR4 Legnum
I have a turbo timer on my car, how does having a turbo timer make it easier to steal? most(all as far as i know) turbo timers if installed properly, if the ignition is turned off and the hand break is released the engine turns off.

G

Unregistered
easier to steal only because ur ignition wires are easier to access, hence why its a good idea to hide it from sight. not because ur car is still running. i have had a turbo timer on all my turbo cars. and yes ur right IF hooked up correctly it will cut the engine upon release of the handbrake.

mayhem50

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Dave
Drive
Series Two, Legnum, R33 Skyline
I'm guessing legnums don't come with a turbo timer lol.

mine takes about 2 minutes after i take the key out for it to turn off.

buggerd if i can find it.....

guess I'll take another look.

i like to use the turbo timer on my skyline to keep it warm while i'm at a atm or just being away from it for a few moments while its cold. or keeping air con running when its hot. i lock it up while I'm away.

and it got through vic roads with it installed?

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
I have a decent alarm with one built in. IMO best way to go; if it detects any intrusion on any zones it kills the engine.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
research I have done indicates that they are not illegal, at least in QLD anyway

G

Unregistered
I didn't think they were illegal in Qld either!!!

G

Unregistered
i have a "pivot" turbo timer on my Legnum. It powers up, i can change the time as often as i want.

But when i turn the engine off, it all turns off and i get a -- P -- displayed on the timer.

I have read that one may be unecessary, but if just set it for 1 min it cant hurt.

does anyone have any ideas on how it may be faulting?.

I had a behind the device and all cables are connected except a light grey or white coming out from the timer and a solid white coming out from car. I
I did not want to try connecting these as things could end terribly.

Cheers.

Tubby

Top Bottom