turbos to afm piping

sexspecvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
ADAM
Drive
GALANT VR4
looks great lee wat ecu or piggy back u running? do u get much gain in proformance ? and any induction noise. what silicon joiner did u use to join the turbo to the piping? in in the garage working on my car as we speak i got the lap top in the car! haha

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
looks great lee wat ecu or piggy back u running? do u get much gain in proformance ? and any induction noise. what silicon joiner did u use to join the turbo to the piping? in in the garage working on my car as we speak i got the lap top in the car! haha

I run a standalone vi-pec.

The silicon hoses I got of ebay for about $20 each.

There's so much induction noise it's ridiculous :D I must post a video sometime...

cheers

Lee

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
That is similar to mine in design but mine looks a bit better imho (sorry, don't mean offence)

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
That is similar to mine in design but mine looks a bit better imho (sorry, don't mean offence)

None taken, mine is home made from parts from Bunnings :D

One day I'll pay to get all the piping done as single welded sections and a proper airbox made (maybe..)

sexspecvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
ADAM
Drive
GALANT VR4
so just making the piping bigger u will get induction noise? ill be using the stock air box with kn filter will i still get induction noise

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Adam, I think you will still get induction noise but just not as loud.. have you heard Lee's car when he taps his accelerator? it's like Darth Vader.. LOL

I think the reason why you dont get as much induction noise when using the factory box is because it's plastic.. sound is absorbed rather than bounced around..

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Yeah, the biggest difference was when I removed the MAF and plastic piping.

Two smaller pod filters instead of one have probably added to it as well.

sexspecvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
ADAM
Drive
GALANT VR4
ok guyes iv taken the intake piping to the turbos off and i have to keep the afm on (no after market ecu) so i was thinking about moving the afm to suite the piping. but does anyone know how long the wire is connecting to the afm? also there is a little breather pipe on the front pipe can this be blocked off or repossisioned. the big one on the back pipe ill use a oil catch can! the other qustion is im going to use a pod filter so i get max induction noise. wich one is the best to use with the afm iv seen the hks mushroom style used alot wich other one would u guyes advise .

i know the pod filter is a sin on hear but i will to make a compromise! thanks guyes for the help and imput!!!

G

Unregistered
ok guyes iv taken the intake piping to the turbos off and i have to keep the afm on (no after market ecu) so i was thinking about moving the afm to suite the piping. but does anyone know how long the wire is connecting to the afm? also there is a little breather pipe on the front pipe can this be blocked off or repossisioned. the big one on the back pipe ill use a oil catch can! the other qustion is im going to use a pod filter so i get max induction noise. wich one is the best to use with the afm iv seen the hks mushroom style used alot wich other one would u guyes advise .

i know the pod filter is a sin on hear but i will to make a compromise! thanks guyes for the help and imput!!!

phft :p go the pod filter. just dont be a tight ass and get a good one that doesnt cone inside itself . and if u go the pod it will come down to personal pref / how much u want to spend

G

Unregistered
Afaik, if your bolting the MAF directly to the pod, the K&N Oval Pod filter is supposed to be best as it designed with the MAF in mind. Not too sure on the Part No. though, should be in the Part Numbers Guide.

sexspecvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
ADAM
Drive
GALANT VR4
ok iv done the front turbo with 2.5 ich silicone and it was not a hard as i thouht ill post up some pics asap! seems to come on boost a bit smoother too! will be doing the rear turbo tomorrow!

G

Unregistered
Good stuff Adam, really intrigued about this, looking forward to the results/pics.

G

Unregistered
Was just thinking/brainstorming, referring to montgomery's engine bay, has anyone considered having a pod filter with the maf directly behind it as per the above photo, but directly after the maf having metal pipework splitting off the each turbo?

Problems I can see maneuvering around the intercooler and radiator piping, cost and obviously no idea on how the car will run afterward. But I'll assume if your going to this length you'll likely change the IC piping anyway.

Thoughts?

And Adam, where are these pics you promised? :D

sexspecvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
ADAM
Drive
GALANT VR4
Image033.jpg
Image037-1.jpg
Image034.jpg
Image036.jpg
Image034.jpg

just a quick pic im making a heat shield at work atm. the red silicon wraping is around a 2iich fliex pipe to the front of the bar

Top Bottom