Varex Exhaust question

T

towny36

Unregistered
Just out of curiosity I have heard that the varex exhaust with remote control is illegal in Victoria can anyone confirm this for me? I am looking at getting a new exhaust as mine is too loud ATM and thought this could be a good option....

Cheers

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Yep, illegal. As is everything else in the world. Just tuck the motor up and out of sight and you'll be fine.

I love how it is illegal to have adjustable exhaust volume unless you're rich and can afford a Maserati or something...

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Why not? They're pretty great actually! I'll be running one on my Silvia.

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
the butterfly valve is what makes them illegal.

i've been told that you can modify the valve to make it legal but i cant remember what needs to be done. if i was you i'd still buy it.

tommy86

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
Really fast Magna wagon thingy
I'm thinking about getting a new cat back made up with a Varex muffler. My current system of 2 resonators and oval muffler is to restrictive/quiet for play time but any thing less will piss my neighbours off as i'm a shift worker and get home/leave at all sorts of hours.

I've seen/heard a few Varex system in action and they seem like a good solution.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
as tim said, everything is illegal.

i'd get one and not worry, remeber, you drive a stationwagon, not a two door sports coupe.

if the cops see you driving next to a P-Plater, they'll probs pull over the p-plater thinkin he has a loud exhaust lol

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
When open, they actually flow really well too. A mate is making a safe and easy 260rwkw using one on a SR20 with a td06.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Personally i'd rather get busted with a loud exhaust than an illegal rear muffler, cheaper to fix. Also for the price of that Varex muffler you could get a whole new exhaust system that sounds nice, flows and is not to restrictive.

Just curious what kind of warranty do they come with? and how reliable are they in the long run?

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Plenty of guys over at ns.com that have been running them for 2+ years with no hassles reliability-wise. I think the warranty is 12 months, but could be wrong. I guess the point is that one of these makes you less likely to get pulled over in the first place. Yeah, if you get pulled over you might get done for it, but it is something they have to look over your car to find rather than how it is with a loud exhaust, where they just have to hear you driving by.

With the advent of noise cameras in the not-too distant future, these become even more attractive.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
noise camera's? damn it must suck to drive a vehicle in Victoria

id say, go with a varex, run it full open, if you get some red and blues behind you, close it as you slow down

and paint the motor and shiz black

T

towny36

Unregistered
Thanks for the feedback guys, the reason i was looking at this was to get away from anything illegal, so now to find another solution..

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Also for the price of that Varex muffler you could get a whole new exhaust system that sounds nice, flows and is not to restrictive.
Varex mufflers can be bought for under $400, tell me where I can get a whole exhaust that doesn't sound like crap for that money and Ill go buy one right now.

Since a lot of us buy Legnum's to use as a family car / toy, this muffler is perfect. Quiet when the kids are trying to sleep in the back and noisy when you want to have some fun.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Thanks for the feedback guys, the reason i was looking at this was to get away from anything illegal, so now to find another solution..

Without wishing to appear rude, if that's the case and you're in Victoria you might as well give up. It's pretty much illegal to drive an import, let alone modify one.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
What is the exact reason why they are illegal?

Thats what I want to know, seems like a decent muffler to have, it may cost a bit but it would be handy to make it loud or quiet depending on how you want to drive.

yoshimitsu9

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
stefan
Drive
ae86 sprinter
i used to know a bloke that chased up what was required to have a "legal" varex muffler. while there is no legislastion stating that an aftermarket adjustable muffler can ever be legal. i have been told first hand after an enquiry with the EPA they would have no issues with an adjustable muffler if the muffler when set to straight through is under 90dB.

bdscott

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
98 FL Leggy
I have the varex muffler and love it. As others will testify, my car sounds great at full song and with a push of a button goes as quiet as stock. Very useful for RBT's.

T

towny36

Unregistered
Well i have finally been able to find the passage that refers to why these exhausts are illegal according to the EPA... Please refer to the link http://epanote2.epa.vic.gov.au/EPA/publications.nsf/2f1c2625731746aa4a256ce90001cbb5/c90ec843f3bbbe8fca256d9f00181c59/$FILE/1031.pdf

and refer to the paragraph after the noise limits allowed, it states that there are tone no restrictores or temporary noise cancellation devises in the exhaust system.

Top Bottom