VR4-Friendly Workshop Discussion

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
To get the timing belt, cam seals, crank seals, water pump, hydraulic tensioner, idler bearing and tensioner bearing replaced, cooling system flushed + road test, labour was 8 hours = $792.

damn.. that's way cheaper than what I paid for..

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Looks like i know where I'll be going for any serious work/100k km service. That seems like a damn good price, and sounds like they know what they're doing

G

Unregistered
Exactly, labour only. Came to about $2200 for all parts, including $315 for a proper transmission flush - not the shit that Neal Lowe calls a flush.

I didn't do the AYC because apparently the fluid was perfectly clean, according to Craig.

For the record, the car has continued to drive better and better since the transmission flush, too.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
I didn't do the AYC because apparently the fluid was perfectly clean, according to Craig.

Not that i am saying your fluid IS bad but i have been told, by Trev (SA) , that even though the fluid may look clean, it still may not be doing its job properly, if it is old.
When i had my major done, the guys told me that too. I think it was because they didn't have the correct equipment to talk to the AYC ECU.

G

Unregistered
Well, mine isn't that old (20k km) and considering I don't any of hard cornering nor any track work, it wouldn't get put under too much strain. I'm pretty certain the guys have the equipment to do it but can't confirm.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Highly rate the guys at NA Autosport & Engineering in Slacks Creek QLD. They know their stuff about AYC, The boss(Nick) pulled my AYC pump apart and rebuilt it. Fixed the noises my AYC was making.

They do most of their work on Evo's so they know the systems pretty well and they were really nice blokes. When I had my problem with my AYC I was on my way to Darwin so they guys stayed back working on my car till 2330 to finish the job. thats pretty unreal and very kind of them. Luckily the car was under warranty so the car yard had to pay them ;)

Their phone no is: 3808 3048 or 0402 100 900 for Nicks mobile.
Their Address: 21 Brennan St, Slacks Creek, QLD

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Highly rate the guys at NA Autosport & Engineering in Slacks Creek QLD. They know their stuff about AYC, The boss(Nick) pulled my AYC pump apart and rebuilt it. Fixed the noises my AYC was making.

They do most of their work on Evo's so they know the systems pretty well and they were really nice blokes. When I had my problem with my AYC I was on my way to Darwin so they guys stayed back working on my car till 2330 to finish the job. thats pretty unreal and very kind of them. Luckily the car was under warranty so the car yard had to pay them ;)

Craig, do you know if they also do fabrication/customization of manifolds and so on?

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Hey i recently bought a 1997 legnumvr4
i got an alarm installed and the car started cutting out while driving but instantly turns back on and continues too drive does this every now and again

i have had the alarm rewired twice by 2 different companys
and a few relays replaced but the fault has not been fixed

Can anybody help me with this please

Could be the main alarm module is faulty. You could also check the earth and re-charge rate on the battery and it wouldn't hurt to change the battery terminals over if they look stuffed.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Craig, do you know if they also do fabrication/customization of manifolds and so on?

They sure do. It says on their card they gave me, they do:

• Race and rally: Chassis, suspension, brakes, engines, transmissions, electronic systems development and engineering.
  • Precision TIG welding - all materials.
  • FIA/CAMS/ANDRA, approved roll cages.
  • All fabrication, lathe and mill work.
  • Competition exhaust systems, inlet manifolds, merge collectors etc.
Send them an email at NAautosport@optusnet.com.au if you want.

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
1997 Galant VR4 and a very old cordia turbo

That is the same address as Neale Lowe Motorsports isn't it?

Name change and phone number change.

has it changed hands?

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Darwin VR4 Friendly workshops...

At last I've found someone in Darwin who can do custom pipe work and fabricate cold air boxes / battery box from aluminium. Details are:

Baden's Aluminium
Unit 7, Strath Village 43 Berrimah Rd
Berrimah
NT, 0828
0409 324 506

Also for doing tricky Auto electrical stuff that will pass ANDRA rules and MVR (dept of transport in NT) like relocating battery to boot:

A & C Automotive Electrics
1/6 Travers St
Coconut Grove NT 0810
(08) 8948 1244‎

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
That is the same address as Neale Lowe Motorsports isn't it?

Name change and phone number change.

has it changed hands?

From my understanding, Neale retired and his offsider bought the business off him and I guess changed the name to reflect that

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
SR Automotive in Kippa-Ring (in redcliffe)
Stewart Reid
51 Beach St, Kippa Ring 4021
3284 4500

Great shop, used them for everything since being back in Redcliffe. Stewart is a really reasonable and genuine guy, knows his stuff. Contacts in Ralliart too. His shop always has plenty of WRXs, Evos, your typical Nissan varieties, They have their own rally car, etc etc.

He has done the S-AYC conversion on my car, after rebuilding the S-AYC diff since it arrived from NZ damaged.

Also has fixed my ayc pipes when they split, had a whole section made to replace the factory part (which actually worked out REALLY cheap)

Flushed my AYC a couple of times. Changed my fluids a few times.

Ill add to this when i can remember the other jobs, but his pricing is fantastic. Very reasonable, specially when there is unforseen problems.

Scubasteve

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
96 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
I posted on here a while back about Mosely's being really cheap for a General service, It was like $120 and being an importer and compliencer of VR4's i thought they would know they're stuff. But after servicing the vehicle myself with correct weight oils and oil filter. The improvement in the car and no tappet noise probably shows why they were so cheap so i retract my statement recomending them. The old saying you pay for what you get deffinately applies here...

khyle

Crunching Gears
First Name
khyle
Drive
Legnum
does 'import auto centre' in kawana do tuning? if so who has gone there n how were they?
would save me goin to brizzy :)

Kingy

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
James
Drive
VR4 Galant 96 Series 1
wrt AYC service, just be careful with mechanics who tell you they have to pull it apart just because it's making noises! Mine was making noises for a while until I learnt to service it myself.
I took to Techsport and spoke to Jeff who said they'd have to pull it apart which was going to cost $600 plus to fix the noise. I decided to replace the fluid several times and bleed the system using notes on the forum. It stopped the noise and now I have a happy AYC system again. Please service by changing all fluids first. AYC may need a few changes to clutch pack fluid before the noises will stop. Do your homework and you might save a few dollars.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
Mercury Motorsport

big thumbs up for them

Trent and the fellas there are really helpful and know there stuff, but will also listen to you the customer and dicuss options with you.

they helped me out big time and dont mind any job big or small.

theyre good priced for labour ($90 an hour) and do a top quality job

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
i think the wa section need updating just a little bit. elfe automotive and all-star garage

Elfe Automotive

• 5 Irvine St, BAYSWATER, WA, 6053
  • Phone:phone (08) 9272 7055
Allstar Garage Unit 3 - 21 Vale Street Malaga, Western Australia 6090 phone: 08 9248 7433 email: info@allstargarage.com.au.

Top Bottom