VR4-Friendly Workshop Discussion

Scubasteve

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
96 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
Moseley did my missus Astra today i have been Quoted elsewhere $580 $500 $400 for 60,000 replacicing irridium plugs they did it today for $257 a lil higher than there estimate of $230. Still happy less than half what holden quoted me. It's $180 to replace her 3 windscreen wipers bloody holdens.....

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
Does anybody know of any decent places other than RPW and Phil's Mechanical in Perth?

Elfe Automotive in Bayswater. i think a lot of the wa members take their cars there.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
MOSLEY'S AUTOMOTIVE
3673 Pacific Highway
Slacks Creek
QLD 4127
If it's Legnum or Galant related ask for Nigel.
They claim to be the first company to import the legnum/Yes they import aswell.

Got my first 5000k's service with them only cost $107 about $90 cheaper than i was quoted everywhere else. Also was quoted $230 for service and plugs replaced at the sametime using correct irridium of course.

I'm pretty sure they rebled my ayc for me cause it was wineing before it went in now if it wasn't for the lights on the dash i wouldn't know it had kicked in. Maybe it just fixed itself lol at the robocars cause they never mentioned they had touched it.

Bump

James, what oil did these guys use on your car for $107 ?

Scubasteve

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
96 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
Don't know assumed if they imported them and always have a number of turbo'd vehicles they new which oil to be using. As far as i know they did the after complience service on my vehicle they are just 2 doors up from Motorman. Motorman recommended them to me. I'll ask when they do my ayc n ball joint.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Don't know assumed if they imported them and always have a number of turbo'd vehicles they new which oil to be using. As far as i know they did the after complience service on my vehicle they are just 2 doors up from Motorman. Motorman recommended them to me. I'll ask when they do my ayc n ball joint.

Its only because that figure is so cheap, and i just hope they used a synthetic oil of close to correct weight.
Let us know how you go with your AYC etc.

G

Unregistered
Car Cutting out

Hey i recently bought a 1997 legnumvr4
i got an alarm installed and the car started cutting out while driving but instantly turns back on and continues too drive does this every now and again

i have had the alarm rewired twice by 2 different companys
and a few relays replaced but the fault has not been fixed

Can anybody help me with this please

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
It's not hitting boost/fuel cut is it??

blkcar

Crunching Gears
First Name
lem
Drive
VR4 Galant
Has anyone had any serious work done on there cars by any workshops in qld not just servicing etc.?

Carmen Auto is quite good but I don't think they do preformance work though. I could be wrong.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
I had my ECU fitted/tuned by Godzilla, and clutch/brake work done by Gavin Wood on the Gold Coast.

Neal Lowe has worked on serveral cars as well.

G

Unregistered
I now have a second gripe with Neal Lowe. Just had my 100K service from Carmen, including getting my transmission flushed and the car has never driven better. Considering that I have had 2 transmission flushes done by Neal Lowe, clearly they weren't doing the job properly, including one when the torque converter seal was replaced. According to Craig, the tranny fluid was filthy and he said it should continue to drive better over the next few days (I literally only just drove home).

Thus, I highly recommend AGAINST Neal Lowe. Between not servicing my transmission properly and not performing safety checks, such that one of my brakes had almost entirely seized up, I personally will never go back.

Although I live on the southside of Brisbane, it was more than the hassle. Craig was happy for me to drop the car in on Sunday and pick me up from a train station this afternoon. He also showed me around a few of his other Galants, and we generally had a very good chat. Always nice to have great customer service. I'm personally going to continue to make the trek up to the northside because it is more than worth it.

Thus, I highly recommend Carmen, and recommend against Neal Lowe.

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
1997 Galant VR4 and a very old cordia turbo
I agree. The customer service from Carmen is excellent. I have tried Neal Lowe but he doesn't doesn't seem interested. I am on the South side but make the trek to Brendale for all my car servicing.

For a standard service I just book well in advance and tell Craig I will be waiting there. They have a room upstairs with TV and xbox etc, and they let you use their tea room. I just take my laptop in a do some stuff. They do my service first and I am out of there in no time flat.

Unfortunately they can't locate the source of the intermittent problem with my ASC. So I may be getting rid of my Galant. Which is a real shame as apart from a minor problem it is a great car and only 21 000 kms.

IMO For price and customer service Carmen wins hands down.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
So I take it that Carmen are worth taking our cars to for servicing?

I'm trying to get as much of the 100k stuff together as I can and I'm thinking of getting Carmen to do it.

When I was looking at cars to buy I went there and was impressed by the workshop and quality of cars they had.

What's their prices like?

G

Unregistered
To get the timing belt, cam seals, crank seals, water pump, hydraulic tensioner, idler bearing and tensioner bearing replaced, cooling system flushed + road test, labour was 8 hours = $792.

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
I was talking to my mate at Sinergy yesterday and he said about 7 hurs for a waterpump, so that seems about right.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Yup, most places labour rates are around $100 p/hr. Then allow anywhere up to 8 hours for the pump & belts then factor in at least another few for the spark plugs.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
To get the timing belt, cam seals, crank seals, water pump, hydraulic tensioner, idler bearing and tensioner bearing replaced, cooling system flushed + road test, labour was 8 hours = $792.

So that didn't include any of the oils/fluids and AYC?

Top Bottom