VR4-Friendly Workshop Discussion

tommy86

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
Really fast Magna wagon thingy
http://www.japlinkmotors.com.au/

NSW/Sydney People check these guys out, they have been doing work on my Legnum and are EXTREMELY helpful and friendly.
They supplyed and fitted a RPW front pipe for $100 less then what they quoted me and then helped me fit my new rims and check clearances for nothing. also they are going to buy a pipe bender so they can do a piping kit for the Evo intercooler they helped me get CHEEP!!!!

The guys are all import nuts, and the boss is happy to do a better price for cash.

Very highly recommend you check them out.

blkcar

Crunching Gears
First Name
lem
Drive
VR4 Galant
-1 for Carmen Auto Imports, service has gone down, costs up & they replaced my engine oil with 10W30 rubbish.

uncle ninja

Crunching Gears
First Name
Nick
Drive
Black 97 VR4, 07 Lancer 2.4 lt
with regard to AYC noise how do you mean, mine makes a little whir but to be honest i figured it was just kicking in and that was what it sounded like?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Nick. Two things:

A) At what point do you hear a noise? It is perfectly normal for a noise to come from the rear when you are first setting off i.e, whe first driving out your drive in the morn.
ALL other whines and groans from the rear are bad. Service that AYC stat!

B) You don't know what color your car is? It will either Black or Miester Blue. The Black is Black and the Blue is a real "stealie" Blue.

Edit. Just thought you might have a Trigger Mauve car.

uncle ninja

Crunching Gears
First Name
Nick
Drive
a) well now im thinking its trigger mauve ha ha its black in the shade and kinda blueish in the sun after some love has been rubbed into the paint. deffinately not blue just has a blueish fleck through it i guess.
b) ayc only makes noise when cornering and ayc lights up on dash but cant really say it comes from the front hey! it might even be the wheels they are 65 mm profile that i hate but promised the missus i wouldnt change mags till i sell old car :(. just to be safe i will service

uncle ninja

Crunching Gears
First Name
Nick
Drive
ok its black deffinately not mauve. black with blue or dark emereald green fleck lol

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
lol. There were only 4 dark color's in PFL: Trigger, Miester, Green & of course Black.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Does it say X08 on the firewall?

As for the AYC, it should be silent, if not it needs the oil changing. What sized tyres do you have exactly?

uncle ninja

Crunching Gears
First Name
Nick
Drive
yeah X08 followed by a few other numbers and 14E CBE
The tyres are 225/50 R16 92V bit of road noise off em cos the're petty nobby but are brand new.
not sure where i pulled 65mm profile from last night ?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
yeah X08 followed by a few other numbers and 14E CBE
The tyres are 225/50 R16 92V bit of road noise off em cos the're petty nobby but are brand new.
not sure where i pulled 65mm profile from last night ?

225/50?! how wide are the rims? are all 4 tyres the same size?

uncle ninja

Crunching Gears
First Name
Nick
Drive
dude all BBS mags, and HYAH! all same size what no good? thats how she came prom japan im not a massive fan if the mags any ways so just say the word

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
dude all BBS mags, and HYAH! all same size what no good? thats how she came prom japan im not a massive fan if the mags any ways so just say the word

225/50 is the wrong size for the stock BBS VR4 rims.. from memory it should be 205/55R16 which suits a 16x6.5 rims

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Settle pettle.

From memory, the 225's are only suited on the Facelift 6.5" rims. Your PreFacelift runs 6's. Christian is just trying to eliminate some probs.

AYC is sensitive to the quality & Qty of it's fluid. Before you get carried away, make sure you get it serviced first. If after a service you are still having nasty sounds coming from the rear, we will try and troubleshoot some more.

Edit. Chris beat me to it. Damn slow fat fingers on my iPhone.

uncle ninja

Crunching Gears
First Name
Nick
Drive
ok not so bad.... so realisticly just need good draining of the ayc and new fluid. then if still making little wirring noise when turning then p!ss the mags off and get some that are a little better suitedto my pre face lift leggy? as far as quantity of ayc fluid goes it is checked weekly just in case something freaky happens, is full. so could be quality will service this weekend and re assess the sitch

Top Bottom