frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
so i decided to turn up my boost a couple extra pounds... well, no boost cut yet, and it HOONS compared to what it was like a couple pounds ago. and thats WITH my 80kg of subs (which i plan to downsize or sell completely... now that i own a performance car...)

Im a little panicky about like... what to look out for in engine sounds.. it does sound a little louder now (i might be imagining it) and i just dont want to blow stuff up.. but a HELL of a lot of fun.

Found myself giving it a bit of a go on the way home tonight, got LOTS of thumbs up by a heap of commodore bogans shoving heads out their car window to watch lol

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
so i decided to turn up my boost a couple extra pounds... well, no boost cut yet, and it HOONS compared to what it was like a couple pounds ago. and thats WITH my 80kg of subs (which i plan to downsize or sell completely... now that i own a performance car...)

Im a little panicky about like... what to look out for in engine sounds.. it does sound a little louder now (i might be imagining it) and i just dont want to blow stuff up.. but a HELL of a lot of fun.

Found myself giving it a bit of a go on the way home tonight, got LOTS of thumbs up by a heap of commodore bogans shoving heads out their car window to watch lol

Were you the fellow up in Townsville? Do you have a bigger intercooler? Other mods? What fuel do you run?

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
so i decided to turn up my boost a couple extra pounds... well, no boost cut yet,

Have you tried acclerating hard in 4th from about 80-115kmph?
This is that grey area where I was getting boost cut.. Right at the highway overtaking speed. :(

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Hey Josh,

Is it one of those manual ball bearing boost controllers? How many PSI... was it over 15?

Good work with impressing those bomodore bogans; maybe they'll see the light after your little demo!:D

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Hey, nah im not in townsville, im in brisbane (north side, but often im at the south) and as for mods, its got a 3inch mandrel bent, not sure if its turbo back or not, cant remember, but intake side is pretty stock. Just using one of those turbo tee style boost controllers.. turbosmart i think? :p i dont get spiking, and YES, i tried 4th gear, from about 80 to about 140 on the way home... as i said - it was fun. boost sat quite steady ;)

G

Unregistered
Is there a generally considered "safe level" of boost for these cars???

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
boost cut at 15 psi usually - so id say up to that would be 'safe' till you spend enough to make more possible anyway :)

if you're worried just go 13, its still very nice :p

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
I thought they were ceramic...just small

G

Unregistered
No. Steel wheeled. But they are small and do have trouble maintaining large amounts of boost

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Have you tried acclerating hard in 4th from about 80-115kmph?
This is that grey area where I was getting boost cut.. Right at the highway overtaking speed. :(

have you tried accelerating hard in 4th from 100kph to 160kph?! it's fun stuff!! scary though..

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
and YES, i tried 4th gear, from about 80 to about 140 on the way home... as i said - it was fun. boost sat quite steady ;)

Excellent to hear! Maybe my problem is related to the spark plugs..

have you tried accelerating hard in 4th from 100kph to 160kph?! it's fun stuff!! scary though..

Can't say I have ever had to accelerate hard to 160 before.. haha.. Not yet at least. With my current setup it shouldn't be a problem. Previously however, when I was running closer to 14psi, I would get cuts every time around 3500-4000 in the rev range. :(

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
no, 3rd gear in my car at 90-130. It's scary. A stock car makes 363nm, I make about 550nm at 4000rpm, which is that speed in 3rd gear. It accelerates faster at 100 than any normal car does from rest :)

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
From memory, steel wheeled turbo's so I would imagine ~14psi should be fine if it stays below cut.
The real concern is usually running higher boost with a stock intercooler. At higher boost little turbos like ours are going to be producing very hot air. If your IC isn't big enough to be bringing that temperature down then you risk pinging and hence damaging your motor.

So how much boost your run on a stock cooler is going to depend on ambient temperature.....why I asked if he was the guy from Townsville. It's bloody hot up there most of the time (I'm from there) and I sure as hell wouldn't be running higher boost on a stock IC there. Down here on brissy on a cool night.....sure.

I'm keen to get my hands on evo data scan so I can see when the car is pinging.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
The real concern is usually running higher boost with a stock intercooler. At higher boost little turbos like ours are going to be producing very hot air. If your IC isn't big enough to be bringing that temperature down then you risk pinging and hence damaging your motor.

Have you seen the size and location of the stock cooler? It's pretty decent for a factory unit I think.

cheers

Lee

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Oh for sure....pretty damn good for a stock unit, but could certainly be a lot better. My main concern was high boost in a hot climate.

Top Bottom