Why pod filters are crap and why you shouldn't run one, and some cool diag stuff too!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
My point wasn't about all cars, it was specifically referring to VR-4's, and yes I changed the title to that :)

The honeycomb mesh will straighten the air out, but then it will add extra resistance to the airflow, most likely heaps more than the stock airbox :)

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I love all that in depth analysis when he could've looked inside the pod first thing, considering the end cap was completely and obviously missing lol

wesleyong

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
Lancer wagon 4G93T / 1999 Legnum VR-4
I just bought a Legnum VR4 that came with a pod... Now I'm wondering if I should change it to one of those K&N oval ones. Unfortunately the stock airbox is nowhere to be seen. No problems running with the pod at the moment, but I question whether changing to the K&N would improve my current fuel economy....performance etc?

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
I have hit 198awkw (uncorrected, which is the ACTUAL figure under the conditions) with standard airbox setup and ralliart panel filter.

And I still don't think I have maxed out the standard intake.

This thread begs the question. At what point does the stock airbox with a good panel filter not flow enough?

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
I agree all that stuffing around with high tech equipment, if the dude checking the care had half a brain he would of noticed the center of the shit filter used was missing!

I love all that in depth analysis when he could've looked inside the pod first thing, considering the end cap was completely and obviously missing lol

sexspecvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
ADAM
Drive
GALANT VR4
man i sic of hearing the same thing about the air pods each to there own leave it at that . the right pod setup is great and the right air box set up is great ffs just get on with it!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The right pod isn't good, there is no such thing as a right pod for a VR-4, that is the problem! Especially idiots who throw away the cold air box and put on a pod.

The only way a pod works is if it is in a cold air box with a MAP sensor.

Fully

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Shane
Drive
99 Galant VR4
The right pod isn't good, there is no such thing as a right pod for a VR-4, that is the problem! Especially idiots who throw away the cold air box and put on a pod.

The only way a pod works is if it is in a cold air box with a MAP sensor.

Really, I get some nice figures out of my car with a pod on it =)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I have no idea why this discussion continues to perpetuate, but I think there's a fairly logical end-argument for it.

What are you trying to achieve, in this context? If you have a stock VR4 intake, unless you're going for seriously big power with new turbos and a replacement ECU you simply don't need to change anything as you are just wasting money in the process. The difference going from a stock paper panel filter to NO filter is zero, as tested on dynos with a couple of cars (the car in HPI was one). So I don't see how anyone can think a pod somehow flows better than no filter...

If your car came with a pod, then you're in a different situation. Do you spend the not insubstantial cash going back to the stock intake, or the same money on a custom setup? Well, that's up to you, but in that case you can keep your pod if you isolate it in a cold air box (probably by relocating the battery) and putting a length of straight pipe between the box and the MAF (as already suggested countless times).

But if you have a pod or just think they're great, can you PLEASE stop talking out of your backsides and confusing people. It's irrelevant if YOU think your car runs 'better' with a pod that isn't on the end of a pipe and insulated from engine bay heat, because you're talking about circumventing fundamental laws of physics. If your pod doesn't flow better (which it can't, because it has already been established that there is no airflow restriction with the stock panel filters) then it is sucking in warmer air, which reduces performance, and it is confusing the MAF sensor, which causes overfuelling, also reducing performance.

These are FACTS. If you wish to refute these facts, you can only do so with facts of your own. Saying your car runs better blah blah blah is not fact, it is your opinion. Showing us a dyno sheet with a before and after with the only change replacing the stock airbox with a pod is factual evidence, at which point we can have a discussion. Probably about the flaws in your testing methodology because you will need to screw something up to have that scenario come out better for the pod, but a discussion nonetheless.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
ROFL!!!!

Bradc, get out the banstick for inappropriate sig size!!!!

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
In response to the sig, and I know it isn't a VR4, but my mate gained 20rwkw on a back to back dyno run on his CA18DET 180SX by removing the airbox & fitting a pod. I was there and saw it with my own eyes, as did a couple of hundred others. The runs were about 2 minutes apart. The figure was about 245rwkw, he had never topped 225 before that.

Dyno conditions don't necessarily equate to the real world, but yeah...

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Car runs a Z32 AFM. Pretty sure that's a MAF, could be wrong as I'm no expert on that side of things. Just for the record I'm not in one camp or the other here, just recounting my experience.

When I get my VR4 tuned next year (at the same workshop that did the aforementioned dyno runs) I'm actually planning on doing back-to-back testing with the HKS pod and a panel filter. Interested to see the result.

Top Bottom