crap fuel

G

Unregistered
i fill my car with 98 everytime from either caltex or bp. i was in a place with niether so i used the shell 98 and it was sh*t. the car misses and backfires and pops like crazy. so i used half a tank and topped it it with the caltex 98 and it got a bit better. 2 tanks of fuel later and the popping and missing is gone. just a question. has anyone else found this as well or was i the only one to get a dodgy tank full.

G

Unregistered
yep
only 3000km ago with the iridium plugs

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Where abouts was this servo? 98 octane fuels tend to lose octane after as few as 2 weeks, so if the servo doesnt sell 98 octane very often and the fuel had been sitting in their tanks, it had likely dropped to around 94/95 RON. So its very important to get your fuel from servo's that are frequented all the time to ensure you get fresh fuel.

So I would say it was simply a bad batch of fuel from THAT servo - I use shell V-Power all the time (from one of the busiest shell servos in adelaide) and always found the legnum to run great on it.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
I had the same problem using shell 98 so i now only use mobil and caltex

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
i fill my car with 98 everytime from either caltex or bp. i was in a place with niether so i used the shell 98 and it was sh*t

oh god,lol,i only ever use bp ultimate and today i was in kawana and needed fuel so i got v-power for the first time ever,hopefully mine goes ok and doesnt act like yours,you didnt fill up at the shell out front kawana shopping centre did you?

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
darryl,

what shell was it?

i see good results on v power... mayb some clown filled the wrong tanks with the wrong fuel....? might of been 91 or e10 who knows?

Cheers,
Brent

G

Unregistered
it was the shell at mooloolaba. coulda been. yea the cars runnin good now. its been painful to drive when its like that.

G

Unregistered
I've had the same problem with Shell V-Power at Upper Mount Gravatt and Alexandra Hills. Ever since I started using the Shell V-Power the car has been running sluggish and really rough engine nose. I almost drained the tank on a cruise and on the way back I filled up with BP Ultimate and she's running like a dream again. I had to move across to Shell because of the 98ron shortage.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
After moving home, I've not got ready access to a range of premium fuels.
Previously, I had been running the car exclusively on Vortex 95 (More than acceptable for long hauls, not good 'round town)
After 3 months on V-Power, and now 200kms into a full tank of BP Ultimate - I think I can safely say that Ultimate is the bestest.

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
Only wish I had some choice, BP Ultimate is all they have in Hobart. No problems with it but competition would be good for the price. It was 30c more than standard when I first got Leggy now is is normally 20c more but sometimes lucky enough for 14c more. Shell, Mobil, and Caltex should start selling 98 in Tasmania. We do have Boost 98 from United but like you would even consider it!

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Where abouts was this servo? 98 octane fuels tend to lose octane after as few as 2 weeks, so if the servo doesnt sell 98 octane very often and the fuel had been sitting in their tanks, it had likely dropped to around 94/95 RON. So its very important to get your fuel from servo's that are frequented all the time to ensure you get fresh fuel.

So I would say it was simply a bad batch of fuel from THAT servo - I use shell V-Power all the time (from one of the busiest shell servos in adelaide) and always found the legnum to run great on it.

The force is strong in you, young padawan...

Top Bottom