264 degree cam regrinds + valve springs

lateshow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lauri
Drive
TD04 Galant (Type-V)
Also next time someone in Christchurch gets me to install cams I will take detailed photos and do a full write up on how to install cams/change valve springs for you guys. Its a pretty big job, not difficult just time consuming and labour intensive.

I'd be very keen to see this write up.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Hopefully a local Christchurch VR4 owner will be getting me to do his cams for him in the not so distant future. So should be able to do a writeup soonish.

lateshow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lauri
Drive
TD04 Galant (Type-V)
I just checked ASA and seems that valve springs as stock aren't the same as evo ones. However evos use the same BC1100 springs as an upgrade?

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
why does that matter? the part number of the stock springs is irrelevant as the springs I supply with the regrinds are supplied because they are the correct size and spring rate to suit the cam profile. Its actually a Nissan RB26 spring kit as the springs are the same size as the Evo/VR4 spring but come in kits of 24 not 16 like the Evo kits do.

lateshow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lauri
Drive
TD04 Galant (Type-V)
Yes that doesn't matter at all. My friends have managed to use stock springs in their evos (HKS 280 cams). I was just thinking that I might want to go with stock springs first and save those springs for the new, better engine. We were just yesterday looking at evo and galant heads on the table. Maybe evo stock springs are a little better than vr4 stock springs?

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
using stock springs on a 280 cam is a terrible idea! without the appropriate valve spring on a large cam like that the valve train can get out of control causing damage. Just because they have done it doesn't mean its a good idea

Don't bother with stock evo springs. they may be stiffer than the VR4 springs but they won't be anywhere near as good as the ones I am supplying you.
Run the springs I'm supplying you, If you didn't need them I wouldn't have sold you them, you can always take them out and put them in a different motor later if you need to.

lateshow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lauri
Drive
TD04 Galant (Type-V)
Evo stock springs was never an option. Was just thinking that if they lasted in an evo engine maybe they would last in an vr4 if they were the same in the first place. Well they weren't, and propably evo ones are stiffer like you said. As we all know changing those springs while engine is in the car is a pain in the arse.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
yeah changing them is a pretty big job but doable in one day with taking the engine out and back in again with new springs and cams. I have done this a couple of times now

lateshow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lauri
Drive
TD04 Galant (Type-V)
Still waiting for Adam's guide on this. :) Got everything ready now but my mechanic is on holiday for next week :)

lateshow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lauri
Drive
TD04 Galant (Type-V)
We did it. We have the new valve springs installed. It was possible due to the fact that my intake support was already modified so that it can be removed in two parts. Today we are installing the new cams.

lateshow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lauri
Drive
TD04 Galant (Type-V)
New cams in place. Engine running fine (couple of lifters making noise). The same settings with ecu give me very little power howeever. The lifters aren't the problem (possible phantom knock). More likely that i need more advance but how much.? Can anyone who has tuned these cars give any info. Im running about stock advance now.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
You need to have the car tuned by flashing the ECU Lauri

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Stock gears or a set of Adams to go with the cams, how are they dialed in?

lateshow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lauri
Drive
TD04 Galant (Type-V)
jungle: I know that but I could do with an advice that what should i do to timing. Fuelling is correct right away. Im driving with ethanol. I have stock timing maps +2 degrees right now and evoscan estimate was around 390 bhp where my last setup was about the same but higher torque (reduced from high 500 to low 500). And i can feel it myself that engine is missing on power. So the question is...more or less timing????

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Ah ok Lauri I got the impression you were still running stock timing/timing.
How much, you can't really tell unless you're on a dyno.
Well you can but its only really verifiable on a dyno.

If you have ECU flash then you can do it your self as long as you've got an accurate AFR gauge.

You said you've done some logging with evoscan, what load and timing and fuel are you currently running?

Top Bottom