4g63 engine conversion

sideburns

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum s2 Vr4
Honda dc2 integra
Hey guys throwing around some ideas for something different and thinking about doing an evo 4g63t conversion...does anyone know how hard they are if possible at all? just throwing ideas around tell us your opinion thanks

sideburns

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum s2 Vr4
Honda dc2 integra
that looked heaps good im just going to hae to find out how much work it will take to fit it all in

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
3 of our mounts are on the gearbox which is shared with the evo so only one mount which will need to be custom or possibly stolen from a 4G variant galant. Driveline will line up. It's just fiddling around with piping and wiring that will be the headache I'd imagine. However, this is said with no actual experience.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Taylor did it

sideburns

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum s2 Vr4
Honda dc2 integra
Ahh nice thread ile have to get prices and make my mind up and what to do. .. What do you guys think about the conversion?

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Waste of money. Buy an Evo if you want 4G63 action.

The 6A13TT are a great compliment to these cars.

R Kilburn

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Roland
Drive
1996 PFL VR-4 Galant
The reason I'd like to convert is not just for power. I've always liked the 8G Galant and its not as common as an evo. If anything its because engine parts/upgrades are more accessible

G

Unregistered
I would swap the 6A for a 4G in a heartbeat.
I think it would compliment the Leggy perfectly and can do anything the 6A can do and more.
Then there's the ease of work, aftermarket support, performance gains nang for buck!
I love the TTV6, but k would rather a 4G (money being not being a factor of course)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
If money wasn't a factor, you'd go a 6g75 plus a build wouldn't you? Yes you'll have top end but you'll lose torque. You'd at least do a Stroker 4g or a Stroker 4b11. You lose heaps of torque in a 4g63 down low, which is fine for some, not so good for others.

So the age old question, how much do you want. 250atw would be cheaper to stay 6a, 300 would be similar cost either way, much beyond that you'll spend heaps no matter what

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
If money wasn't a factor, you'd go a 6g75 plus a build wouldn't you? Yes you'll have top end but you'll lose torque. You'd at least do a Stroker 4g or a Stroker 4b11. You lose heaps of torque in a 4g63 down low, which is fine for some, not so good for others.

So the age old question, how much do you want. 250atw would be cheaper to stay 6a, 300 would be similar cost either way, much beyond that you'll spend heaps no matter what

and we have a winner!

this is exactly what I was getting at. if your not swapping to 4G63 for power why would you bother. Not as smooth, less low down power expensive engine to purchase and a wee bit of stuffing around to get it to all work in an 8g chassis with wiring etc
and as steve said above 300atw your going to have to spend money regardless. and any serious engine build uses largely custom parts anyway to try and get the best.

if for originality its been done to death in the states as they never got the 6A13 over there

G

Unregistered
I meant If I had the money to do the swap I would do it.

If money was no factor at all I doubt I would choose either engine haha.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
id swap in a 4g64T frankenstein motor. that'd be the only 4g. but it'd be worth it. easy 350ish kw at the tyres, loads of torque and a plethora of aftermarket parts.

you wouldnt put a stock 63 in. thatd be stupid.

as for the yanks, they had sohc 64's so bolting on evo heads and turbo gear is the norm. the awd conversion is another issue for them lol

sideburns

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum s2 Vr4
Honda dc2 integra
My reasons were the same easier to work on, easier to get parts etc
And when going for big power and turbo upgrades on the 6a are a tight squeeze at the best of times making high power daily driver harder with all the under Bonnet heat and everything so close together

But that's my thinking anyways it would still be easier to get big power out of the 4g with less issues

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
"Big power" is a really annoying thing to say. Sorry, but there it is.

Power in an engine is given as (Torque x RPM) / 5252

A 4g63 gives better "big power" figures for the primary reason that it is designed, from factory, to rev higher. The 6a pisses all over the 4g in terms of torque at a specific boost level within its design operating range.

Driving a car with piss all torque is no fun. Torque is for driving, power is for racing.

mcs

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
1997 Galant VR-4
You could get a twin td04 setup and prob run 300kw or more for similar money.

Top Bottom