4g63 engine conversion

mcs

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
1997 Galant VR-4
and lets be honest 6 bangers sound so much better than the 4 cylinders :) lol, ok ill shutup now.

96vr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
AJ
Drive
Legnum with twin GT25R upgrade.
Yeah saw that.. That would shit all over a 4g63 with ease ^^

it's.simon

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
VR-4 Galant Type S
PhotoGrid_1378286950247.jpg

Do you guys reckon the firewall has been compromised? Mr Jay Z seems to be chilling pretty far back. Wonder what bell housing and box it's got? So much jelly

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
2j galant was a bit ahh interesting in the engineering. It's worked at least.

supra subframe used, welded to galant chassis
oem getrag box.
custom gearbox mount bolted to galant floor (which subsequently broke, omg no wai)
lower centre of firewall cut out. Supra one welded in.
Custom gearbox cover/floor pan.
custom drive train.
galant strut tops added to supra coil overs.

I can dig up pics later.

vote 1 for 4g64t with 272's. I'd take that anyday

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
2j galant was a bit ahh interesting in the engineering. It's worked at least.

supra subframe used, welded to galant chassis
oem getrag box.
custom gearbox mount bolted to galant floor (which subsequently broke, omg no wai)
lower centre of firewall cut out. Supra one welded in.
Custom gearbox cover/floor pan.
custom drive train.
galant strut tops added to supra coil overs.

I can dig up pics later.

oh yes that 2j one was very Bro'ed up. good lord it hurt my feelings when I saw how he bent the pipe for the exhaust without a pipe bender and it had crushed and wrinkled the pipe.
and the build thread mysteriously ended after it got dynoed as he was still using the AYC diff AFAIK which probably didnt Enjoy the whole "being full time RWD" scenario

Unco_Tomato

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1996 White Manual Legnum w/ FL Kit
I remember seeing that thread, the car is in Saudi Arabia or something isn't it?

There is a video around of it doing a massive backfire on Youtube somewhere.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Looks like a clean conversion, what's the problem.

it's.simon

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
VR-4 Galant Type S
LOL! Wow...didn't know the details. Seems like this was Frankenstein's vehicle of choice! Seems legit.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
should I rename this thread to "2JZ engine conversion" ?

but really, that's a terrible job.. Im pretty sure that they can get mandrel bend there in the middle east

Unco_Tomato

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1996 White Manual Legnum w/ FL Kit

Here's the backfire :p

The car's from Kuwait. The original post is on The Galant Center.org if you wanted to track down the owner Dave, I'm sure he'd have a long list of things not to do :p

Back on topic though, does anyone know of an Australian car to get the 4G63 conversion?

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
Lets make this thread simple, though in my opinion and experiences:

If you want to chase power and hear sexy lumpy cams, 4g63 will definetly be a go, itd be easy conversion! Juyst gotta find a auto sparky for wiring harnessfrom 6a13 to 4g63 (theres a guy that does that here.

.Otherwise, if you're about torque, i wouldnt upgrade turbos or so, just retune, clean it up and drive! Cause the stock setup has the best response and you do admire that!

So, all in all, if I had to do all over
http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?11291-DON-S-Twin-TD05-Upgrade-56kb-beware!

Id stick with stock high response, dont mess with the 6a when it comes to forced induction

If you want a little more, oomph, definetly the smallest set of wrx td04 turbos.

Power, just buy evo, or evo conversion

G

Unregistered
Agree with the above mostly, But I don't see where the notion that 4g63's have no torque comes from?
With my standard RS turbo I can reach Peak Torque with 18-19psi by 2700 RPM - ~85km/h
If you wanted to go super serious you can spend $10k on a built 2.4L that easily cracks 400awkw on E85 and makes enough mid range torque to melt your face.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
As much as I love my Toyotas and a pair of black rappers, putting a TwoJay into a Legnant is as fucking stupid as putting an LS1 into an FD.

sideburns

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum s2 Vr4
Honda dc2 integra
i second that, that conversion is ridiculous....anyway I was looking at the conversion for the fact of its a smaller motor in the engine bay and easier to work on and off a standard motor you can get more power with a e85 tune than you can with the 6a and im iffy on doing a turbo conversion on the 6a and still using for a daily because of the lack of room in the engine bay....lets face it its not the nicest motor to work on

sideburns

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum s2 Vr4
Honda dc2 integra
ohh and im an auto elec so wiring is the least of my worries

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Agree with the above mostly, But I don't see where the notion that 4g63's have no torque comes from?
With my standard RS turbo I can reach Peak Torque with 18-19psi by 2700 RPM - ~85km/h
If you wanted to go super serious you can spend $10k on a built 2.4L that easily cracks 400awkw on E85 and makes enough mid range torque to melt your face.

Yeah you can get decent torque in a 4g63, or 4b11, or ej20 etc but only if you wait for it to spool. That's why you say 2700rpm at 85.... which is fine in 4th or 5th gear. Slow ramp rates on dynos don't tell the full story either, I've got a few clients that have 4b11 curves that look almost the same as my vr4 curve (until 4500 -5000 where they keep going and mine stops) but any of them that have driven my car will say it eats them low down. You simply don't get that drive that a bigger capacity engine will give out of say a 2nd gear corner at 2500rpm.... That's why stroker kits exist for all of those engines (well theres ej22 and ej25s but anyway).

Nothing wrong with 4g's or 4b's, I love them, they're a tuners dream engine, but they don't have the response at low revs that a larger capacity engine does. And x's aside, how much less does an evo weigh than a vr4?

Again it comes down to what you want,

250 with torque-6a plus the bolt on turbos jungle is organising with e85

300 - your call....

Beyond 300, whatever you like and you'll pay heaps no matter what if you want it reliable

Top Bottom