4G63 vs 6A13

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
As per Bradc's request, i am starting a new thread for this.

I have talked about doing this half-heartedly but now since I have been looking around to get a parts car for my Legnum, i really want to know what is involved.

Can a 4G63 be mounted onto 4cyl Legnum mounts?
How will the EVO box mount or can the Legnum manual work with a 4G63?

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
I'm pretty sure the 4G63 can be mounted in a v6 chassis. Don't quote me on this though.

This is based on comparing the engine mount locations on the two different chassis. They seem to be identical.

I think in general Mitsi has the same mount locations across the board, different the mounts themselves for each type of engine.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I don't think the 4G63 will bolt straight up to our 5 speed, but an evo's gearbox should work.

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
I don't think the 4G63 will bolt straight up to our 5 speed, but an evo's gearbox should work.

No, but you would use a box suited for the engine. It may mean getting shafts altered (drive and prop) but mounting everything in etc should be ok.

What I'm meaning is, it seems that if the engine mounts line up, then the simplest thing to modify is probably the shafts, rather than messing with adapter plates for gear boxes etc.

I think this would apply for engines that are oriented 180 degrees opposite too. Just fit a whole package in and do the modifications on the shafts?

I don't know if any of this is valid or not, its just conjecture really.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Scottie, as you have an auto which is the same gearbox as the GT-A i'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult to make it fit.

I would go with a manual box but, especially for the smaller motor

montgomery

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
Mazda Familia GTR
Get on evo oz and get some pics of the gearbox and engine mounts.
You will prob be able to use a hybrid of leggy/evo/fto parts or something to mount the sucker up

In my mates 323 BG sedan (usually a 1.8) we mounted a FE3 from a import 626 (2.0 dohc) and 2.2 (f2t tx5/626 turbo) Gearbox using astina V6 drivers side engine mount , 626 rear gearbox mount and a BF 323 1.6 dohc front gearbox mount.

See what i mean???

Do the eclpise come with a V6 at all?? , if they do have a look at those mounts too.

G

Unregistered
From looking at the mounts on mates EVO the rear one is completely different as it mates to the sub frame not the fire wall like ours does. Did read somewhere that you can use the subframe from the 4cylinder leggy and then its a drop in job . .

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
The subframe only has 2 versions on 4wd Legnums, a cast steel and an aluminium one. The aluminium one was only on late model 2.4 Legnums, but works fine on VR-4's The rear engine mount is the same on 4wd legnums, different on 2wd's.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Found these picks in the mega pic thread here.

probably the hottest 8G i know...

picture611le7.jpg

4G63t (out of EVO 8) boered out to 3.2l 320whp eclipse transmission.
4g63tkz9.jpg

img8308bu7.jpg

alex

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I think you meant 2.2L, not 3.2L :)

ohh and eww ugly girl, but that Dolphin front bumper looks nice with Canards :D

VR4 WRC

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum VR4
If you look in Issue 103 of HPI in the article about the Car club with the Manga & Anime graphics on the car's/bikes,etc.. there is a few photo's of a Blueish FTO with an 4G63 EVO transplant. It doesn't say too much about it though.

Cheers

Scott

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
ohh and eww ugly girl
Hahahaha that's exactly what I thought when I scrolled down :ROFLMAO:

Front mount looks a bit tilted on one side and chicken mesh grill looks shit.

But back on topic, you should be able to mate the 4G63 with our auto's quite easily as the Evo VII GT-A's use the very same INVECS-2 auto transmissions as ours (like mentioned above).

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Dimi - that isn't going to be true about the transmission sorry. The gearbox internals are the same but the bellhousing will be different and won't bolt straight onto the 4G63T.

As for my views of what engine is better, yes it is true that the 4G63 has a lot more aftermarket parts including turbo kits letting you push to 500hp or more fairly easily, and that nothing like that exists for the 6A13 yet. However for most of us here who are looking to stay in the 280-350hp range (heh 260 for some people) I don't see a reason to even consider the 4G63. As a few people on here have found, a full exhaust including downpipes and increased boost will see you to over 320hp very easily, add an intercooler and a fuel controller and you'll be at 340-350hp. You also get an amazingly smooth engine with no harsh vibrations at any point in the rev range that loves being anywhere between 1500rpm and 7000rpm with virtually no lag at all.

Has everyone here talking about 4g63's actually driven one? I've driven a number and below 3000rpm they feel like a normal 1.8L 4 cylinder. From 3500 to 7000rpm they feel just like a 6A13TT, not some super special amazing engine. Remember they are still rated at 206kw from factory. The EVO 9 and X are rated at about 215kw and 400nm of torque, we will get over that amount just by increasing boost to 12psi or so with a $100 manual boost controller. Without changing the turbo a 4G63T is limited to about the same sort of power levels as our engines, around 350hp with a few mods and able to push 400hp at max, a similar figure to my car. The difference of course is that my car makes 300nm at the wheels at 2500rpm. Try finding me an EVO that can do that!

As far as I can see the only advantage of going with a 4G63 is that you can buy manifolds and turbos that will let you get to 500hp or more straight off the shelf. However that will come at a great cost. You have to buy the engine first of all, then figure out how to mount it in the car. Then you have to pay exorbitant prices for all of this gear. For example http://www.turbowholesale.com/product.php?productid=5100 For that amount of money you could get a pair of GT2554R's onto a 6A13TT and make a similar amount of power, plus you'd still have 2.5L of smooth balanced engine and having power at 3000rpm rather than having to wait until 4500rpm for the GT35R to spool. Or you could put a GT35R onto a 6A13TT using the stock exhaust manifolds and mount it somewhere around the transmission and get boost earlier than the same turbo on an EVO.

The people who have put 4G63's into 8G's have typically started off with a boring fwd US spec car with 150hp or so and have put one in simply because it is easier for them to get hold of one and because they now think they have an EVO with a different body. I can't really see how anyone who daily drives their VR-4 could see a 4G63 as an upgrade myself.

G

Unregistered
wow brad's post really makes me want to get 6A13 rather than 4G63...i didnt know it would have that much difference in torque response.:drool: does anyone know how much 4G63 and 6A13 weighs?

G

Unregistered
wow brad's post really makes me want to get 6A13 rather than 4G63...i didnt know it would have that much difference in torque response.:drool: does anyone know how much 4G63 and 6A13 weighs?

definitely 6a13 is much heavier than 4g63.... =)

G

Unregistered
the galant is actually a USD with a JDM KIT and JDM 4g63,
the us cars cam as fwd only and 4g and 6g motors

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
The closest thing I have to compare is that a Legnum with a 6A13 sohc n/a is 40kg heavier than a 4G93 1.8 GDI, both with manual gearboxes

Top Bottom