6A13TT Engine rebuild

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Actually from 3000-6000 it makes less boost but same power. But from 6000 it does hold it's power better than the previous engine, that's also helped by timing and fuel tweaking.

Jsteel

Crunching Gears
First Name
James
Drive
Pearl white 99 vr4 Legnum
hey peeps,
basically end of feb im going to start rebuilding a spare 6a13 from scratch (blew it up and had to get a new one = opportunities :) ), i want to do everything.. i've done a little bit of research and from what ive come up with the engines great.. apart from the cam.. anyone got some great ideas.. looking at spending about 10 g on it including clutch and flywheel...

much appreciated,

Steel.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
And Rods....

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
I wonder how much is due to the small changes you made to things (eg cleaning up exhaust manifolds) vs how much is due to the engine being a fresh one. Aside from variables of the days.... I would think 190-200 at 15psi should be easily attainable by 6000RPM (probably about 14psi in my experience) Nice results

sn00ze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
zach
Drive
N15DET
out of curiousity, has anyone done anything with cams for the 6a13?, apart from the fact i dont think theyd do much with the stock turbos in place, id love to hear a legnum or galant with a wicked procam style idle :)

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
out of curiousity, has anyone done anything with cams for the 6a13?, apart from the fact i dont think theyd do much with the stock turbos in place, id love to hear a legnum or galant with a wicked procam style idle :)

Not readily available in Aus, although banned Dave from RPW has done them in the past apparently.
As i've said countless times on here, cams would be the last thing i'd do. Pretty decent expense for not a great bang for buck.
Plenty of other things to do first.

Who's doing the work, you or a workshop? Do a search James there's a bunch of info on this site and the UK one on this. Start another thread mate, this was purely for a standard engine rebuild. Most of the guys that have performed bolt on changes have their own thread, MADHAV is a good example.

Jsteel

Crunching Gears
First Name
James
Drive
Pearl white 99 vr4 Legnum
awesome thanks for the heads up simon.. im not doing the work im pretty hopeless with engines.. lol im getting gavin at Gavin Wood Autotech to do the work for me. will have a quick look at MADHAV. thanks :)

sn00ze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
zach
Drive
N15DET
yep being a performance orientated mechanic i know theres no point in cams for a std 6a13 but like i said would just be nice to hear one at the track with an epic angry idle, not looking at bang for buck , just saying it would be interesting to hear

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Cam's aren't about bang for your buck. Cams are about moving the useable power band.

sn00ze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
zach
Drive
N15DET
was just interested in what a 6a13 would sound like with aggressive camshafts.any part that makes a car go faster is about bang for buck...theres just varying levels of "bang" for your "buck" and cams offer low bang for buck in terms of overall power output..BUT cams can make youre car faster around the track, whether its circuit or drag-by shifting useable power in the rev range. otherwise we would just leave the stock ones. a fast car and a powerful car can be two different things its simply that theyre not cost efficient on our engines NOR useful unless other modifications are carried out first. excuse me for being rice and interested in the "noise" of the idle:) function over form kiddies

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Interesting read Simon!

So how's she running 6 months on? Any issues? Anything you'd do differently?

Stanislav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stan
Drive
2009 Audi S3
Hey guys can anyone recommend a Mitsubishi competent workshop in Brisbane to have my 6a13 engine rebuilt?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Interesting read Simon!

So how's she running 6 months on? Any issues? Anything you'd do differently?

Hey Justin, haven't been on here in a while.

11 months on now...
Engine is running as you'd expect a new engine to!! No issues at all, fuel economy (when i drive it- not my wife) is back to around the 11km per litre
Throttle response is so good compared to my 3litre GTR.
We have just purchased a new Mitsubishi ASX turbo diesel, so I'll have access to the Leggy to finally fix the paint issues and sort out why the new NPS clutch slips occasionally. I'm hoping its just a hydraulic adjustment.
I've just seen the potential flash win with the 7201 ECU so if that's the case and it happen in the next few weeks, i'll try and get that done and remove the interceptor. Then i'll be selling it which is a shame. Would like to keep it as a tow car as i'm toying with the idea of taking my Sil80 off the road and making into a track only car. But that's another story...

Spetz

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Spetz
Drive
MIVEC
Jungle, having seen the internals of the motor, how do you think it would cope with high rpm?
Specifically if it has high compression pistons and MIVEC heads (non turbo). Do you think the rods can cope with 8,500rpm reliably?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Hi Spetz,
Couple of questions. Is it going to remain an turbo engine? If yes, why do you want to rev to 8500 seeing the cams are done by 5500-6000?
Is it a race engine or street?

If you want 8500 then you're changing turbo's as well to reap the benefit as well as manifolds, valve springs, cams, etc etc. The head is limited by exhaust valve sizing as well, they're pretty small & there isn't enough offset to go larger in them.

If it were me, i'd change the rods. A number of people in the UK haven't and are making 450hp, but thats like saying i removed the rev limiter and it revs to 9000. Sure, it might do for a short time but any length of time under constant load id be very very nervous. In the scheme of things, rods aren't expensive and are cheap insurance- if you want a cheap rebuild, leave the rods standard.

If atmo, i'd still be uncomfortable leaving standard rods. I've been asked this question before but it depends on what YOU want the engine to do. There are many different options, but ATEOTD it's up to you. I'm not an engineer i've not loaded tested the rod I can't advise it's ultimate fail point and it comes down to tune as well. The rod is the weakest link in the package.

My goal is always to rev the engine the least amount to get the power/torque from it, this leads to reliability and longevity.

I hope that helps?

Top Bottom