jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
What was the minor fault?

Its not important, i shouldn't have even mentioned it as now everyone will want to know what it was. Needless to say, it didn't affect anything, just delayed its starting for the first time- WOOHOOO!!

I haven't even heard/seen it yet, so im going to be really hanging out until mid-day tomorrow when i go and get her

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Fair enough, I was only wondering for when josh and I put his engine back together we don't do the same thing. But it sounds like it was only something minor so no dramas :)

Great to hear all is working well, I may have to get in touch with you a little down the track for some hints and pointers when we put Josh's engine back together.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Jungle, there's a bit of delay on the thermostat, I went to the shop on Tuesday only to find that they've ran out, so I asked to order 1.. usually it arrives within the next day or the same day if ordered early in the morning..

but for some reason, it still hasn't arrived.. will find out tomorrow and hopefully its there..

glad your engine's running now.. just curious what thermostat are they using on it at the moment?

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
Awesome stuff! Looking forward to hearing about it today!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Its done

Picked her up this arvo. Very very happy. She just purrs like a new kitten. Has that new engine feel to it, it's very quiet. Can hear the clutch bedding in and the new engine mounts i think are much better than previous- it just sounds different.

Got 300m up the road and heard a scraping noise,:confused: only to find the push fit plastic things that hold the wheel arch liners in were pretty non existant, so went back to the shop for some zip ties. While i was fitting them, noticed a small water leak. :001_mad:Water hose that goes to the carby was the culprit. Quick trim and different clamp, another pressure test and all was good.:p

All fixed, set off to run in the engine on the way into Indooroopilly. Did my thing and could feel it freeing up and sealing better all the time. Driving home a short time ago, kept doing "my thing" and it was just eating it up.

Bed in the new rotors from Trav [Hipsi] as well so it's all good.
Was was very noticeable is how little throttle and vacuum it now uses at cruise. Happy.
Still needs regas for aircon- the guys forgot in their excitement! Also needs a wheel alignment and balance.

Otherwise, have 500km to do before i remove the run-in oil and cut open the filter to check for metal.
Here she is, needs a final clean to remove the dirty hand prints from the newly bead blasted inlet and cam covers.
Turned the boost down to a more run-in friendly 6psi.
Got home, with around 90km on trip meter, so will be interesting to log the fuel economy as she frees up. Don't expect the first few to be particularly good though. Had a quick check and that water hose was having a very slight bubble so i'll change it.
IMG_0718.jpg

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
That is a lot of zip ties around the intercooler piping... do I sound stupid if I ask why? Will I sound less tupid if I hazard a guess that its to try to lesson flex? A cheaper alternative to solid piping?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Ghetto "hard" pipe. The factory soft pipes expand terribly under boost. Cable Ties dont flex, thus the pipe holds its shape better - improves throttle response.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Macca- no problems, i'll help where i can.
Christian- using the item that came with the spare engine, no issues, tested it but wanted a new one hence my PM:)

Ghetto hard pipe:LOL: Love it!!

G

Unregistered
Hi Simon. Graham Watters here. Coonawarra SA. Good stuff on the rebuild. Any chance you could tell me where the info for timing belt replacement would come from? I have sourced the new belt via Southland Mitsibishi but they could not give me a parts diagram. I am not sure where to find a W/shop Manual either! Cheers mate. noddy.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Hi Graham,
I bought all my parts from Ralliart NZ. Send Bill an email admin@ralliartnz.co.nz Dollar conversion makes it very attractive.
The workshop manual is a point of contention, 18 months or so to translate it, then it didn't include everything. You'd need to PM someone who has one and sort out some $$ for the privilege.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Otherwise you could get the Jap manual and use google translate to translate the pages you need.

Mel-D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mel
Drive
2012 Ford Focus ST Manual,Tangerine. Evo 6 Blue manual.Had 2004 XR6 Falcon M11 Auto,Yellow GT stripes. 1999 Legnum Manual,White
woooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooo

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Just back from a quick drive down the street for no reason other than to go for a drive:p
Soooooooooo happy with it, great driving enjoyment after a long break from it.

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
I hear ya got mine back after working on it for 3 weeks, feels like a new car now! I appreciate it more now lol glad it all came together well in the end simo!

Top Bottom