6A13TT Engine rebuild

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
These pics help? (sorry not the best but I am meant to be doing something else)

Front
IMG_0187.JPG

Rear from Drivers Side
IMG_0188.JPG

Rear from Passenger (Throttle Body) Side
IMG_0189.JPG

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Thanks Steve, they do, wouldn't happen to have a pic of the oil fliter??

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Simon did you bore your exhaust ports on the exhaust manifolds? they look bigger than stock

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Sure....
IMG_0190.JPG

Hopefully the downpipes won't confuse you....

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Thanks Steve, that's great

tim, yes i did. As i mentioned in Bradc thread, it really isn't needed as the exhuast ports are tiny and the limiting factor really. But i have a dremel tool so just tidyed things up a little. What you see is the gastket size:)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Reduced turbulence may still be of benefit from the cleanup

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Sure, but if i was serious about it i would have cleaned up the ports first. It may assist in flow but i'm not expecting anything from it!

Hey does anyone has the PCV Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve lying around?? Mine was broken during engine removal, i should have asked about it earlier. Its the little black thing on the front set of cylinder next to the oil cap filler. has a hose going to it. Or know of anyone with one?? I need one ASAP!!!

Thanks

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Just grab one from any Mitsu. They all use pretty much the same thing. Only a one way valve.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I think we also use the same one out of the 4G93 SOHC engines.. from memory I bought one from Repco..

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Got a PCV from Repco- sweet.

Well she's finally together. Everything than can be put back together has been and she's ready for installation. All that's left are some new spark plugs, fit the new engine mounts and tighten up the balancer as there's no air for a rattle gun in the engine room- and oil.
All the heat shields are back on and the alternator had me stumped for a day...until i found the little bracket that connects it to the side o the head.

Unfortunately there is a car ahead of mine but once that's cleared out the engine and gearbox/clutch will be re-installed and she'll be ready for first start up. Can't wait to hear it fire... it will sound like a diesel until it gets oil pressure and then once its bled itself of air she should settle down. :D
IMG_0716.jpg
IMG_0715.jpg
IMG_0714.jpg

Here's the final pic in the engine room- yes i know the power steer/aircon belt isn't on.... i fitted it after the photo;)

Cost wise, it wasn't that much, i'm paying the workshop to remove and install the engine.
Rest was my time and consumables. I am still to determine what i'll pay Mick for the use of his shop, but other than the parts i'll probably pay around 1k in labour.
Cost of decking the block couple a hundred
I already had the engine, and block was honed. VRS kit was $300

Overall it was a daunting task initially as i didn't pull down the engine as it was going to be rebuilt by my engine in Sydney. So that made it quite slow for me as i had to go by pictures i'd taken and various texts which were generic.

Would i do it again, no. Its very fiddly and there is litterally sh*t everywhere. The number of times I assembled something and then had to dis-assemble it as i got the order wrong wasn't as many as i expected.

The engine is very solid design as i've said elsewhere. Some good rods and pistons would assist in making a reliable engine with solid power. The exhaust valves are too small there is capacity to go +1mm but that's about it.
Smoothing the bowls and removing the casting marks will help it flow better but overall its a heavy little lump that will produce solid power reliably.

My next post will be pics of it back i the engine bay.

IMG_0716.jpg
IMG_0715.jpg
IMG_0714.jpg

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Yeah it's still got a limit at the valves but reduced turbulence is good when it's easy (like in the case of the manifolds) I know you're not serious about power out of this one I just think there is some gain out of what you did to the manifolds..... Probably not a great deal though as you say.

Well done by the way.

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
Good to hear it came together ok. I always estimate the time, double it and add 50%, THEN TELL THE WIFE. haha. I seem to still end up close to he final figure, but it gets done on time. (just don't ask about the bathroom renovation... 2 years and still counting. hehe)

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Thanks guys, I'm very excited to get her running and run in, so i can take it back to my tuner for a touch up of the Haltech. Im not expecting any more power but i do expect the fuel economy to get back to where it was.

Actually the pricing i listed was wrong, this is what i paid in NZ$, all genuine Mitsu parts;
Rings 311
Headbolts 190
Screen shot 2010-11-04 at 8.35.52 PM.jpg

Comes to $2126NZ or ~$1700AUS

Clutch bought a clutch as well and new engine mounts so close to 4k all up.
I've also got some new RDA rotors coming as well. So she's got an early Xmas present!!

I hope this info has been helpful and don't take the pricing as gospel. All my engine bits i bought from Ralliart NZ so exchange rates vary as do normal prices.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Genious.

Hey Simon, are you using a torque wrench for ALL bolts?

Not every bolt but definately all internal bits:p one of the many reasons it took so long:sad:

Actually is wasn't so bad, just fiddly. Having done it like everything it wouldn't take anywhere near as long next time, but you can say i'm very familiar with all the bits of the engine:cool:

Good to hear it came together ok. I always estimate the time, double it and add 50%, THEN TELL THE WIFE. haha. I seem to still end up close to he final figure, but it gets done on time. (just don't ask about the bathroom renovation... 2 years and still counting. hehe)

Yes, i do something similar, i badly underestimated the extra time due to not having the benift of seeing it come apart

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Good work mate looking at doing the same only with forged internals once i hit 200,000km

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Jung rang the boys, engine is about 1/2 in. Should be running tomorrow barring unforseen items.

Mel-D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mel
Drive
2012 Ford Focus ST Manual,Tangerine. Evo 6 Blue manual.Had 2004 XR6 Falcon M11 Auto,Yellow GT stripes. 1999 Legnum Manual,White
Nice work, roll around tomorrow.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
She's ALIVE!!!!!!!!

Minor fcuk up on my part had the guys chasing a silly error, but after it was found, she fired into life no problems. To say i am very happy is a mild understatement.
My mechanic is taking her for a blat around the block this arvo, to make sure it's all good, then i'll pick her up tomorrow.

Cant wait(y)(y)

Top Bottom