6A13TT Engine rebuild

kymbo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kym
Drive
98 Galant, S14A 200SX, GC Galant
Just put the NPC clutch and flywheel in mine. The flywheel weight is perfectly fine. still easy to hill start etc. and rev's slightly easier in the top end. TBH i would almost like it a tad lighter if anything as its only just feels better than stock

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Well, today i had planned on assembling the bottom end but the other week while disassembling the oil pump i destroyed one screw, so i spend the best part of today, pulling the old engine apart, to get one screw. I had to do this anyway as the my "spare" engine was essentially a long motor with some extra bits.

So this arvo i tripple checked the pistons dimensions to confirm the sizing to limit the blow by to a minimum.

Tomorrow should see the bottom end assembled. Saturday i am planning the have the heads reassembled.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
UPDATE

Well, there's a lot to be said about using new bits. I must admit, i gave no thought to the time it was going to and did take to clean the pistons for use. Man the amount of carbon build-up in the ring a oil grooves was amazing. After probably 2 hours of cleaning they were finally in a state i was happy with. Before i started down that path though, i checked each pistons diameter and was pleasantly surprised that all were in a gnats' fart of each other;)

So Saturday i set about assembling the bottom end and after 6 or so assemble/dis-assembles for clearances with bearing assembly stuff and plasti-gauges, i can happily announce she's together and very very happy its right within a new engines tolerances. Goes to show it really was a low time engine. Took just on 6 hours to do all this.

Monday arvo i hope to have the pistons connecting rod clearances in and sorted then once happy with that, i'll get to work on the rings.

Here's a few random pics- bottom end assembly, bearings before cleaning and re-fitting the piston/rod i sent to SPOOL to use as a template and girdle crush clearance with plasti gauge.
IMG_0684.jpg
IMG_0682.jpg
IMG_0685.jpg
IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg
IMG_0682.jpg
IMG_0685.jpg
IMG_0683.jpg

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Fit the piston pin back in. I doesn't have clips like some to hold it in.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
This week will be slow progress as working and have a bunch of other things on. Really trying to have it back in and running by end of next week.

This arvo i went and checked the piston big-end bearing clearances. Slow going but that's normal. All were good except one, that needed a little finessing. But after that all were good.
Tomorrow will be crush clearnace with my friend plasti gauge...

Here's a pic showing the bearing lube i use to check clearnaces. And the piston/rod for no particular reason :D
IMG_0687.jpg
IMG_0688.jpg
IMG_0690.jpg

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Crush clearances were good on 3, I touched up the other 3. Bugger all in it but I made sure they were all at 2thou. This took another 2 hours of mucking around but i know they're all sweet now.

Bottom end is now assembled:cool:
Here it is and the pistons just before assembly
IMG_0693.jpg
IMG_0692.jpg

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
IMG_0695.jpg
IMG_0696.jpg
IMG_0694.jpg

Bottom end is now together and sump is on!
Pistons and rings are fitted and in the block, ring gaps spot on.

Oil pump is fitted and i'll start on the heads next.
Cleaning items is still taking the majority of time, but a necessary evil.

Clutch arrived, flywheel has been ground and ready for new clutch. NPC item, very good quality, cant wait to fit it.

chrisssss

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
krsta
Drive
99' s2 manual legnum vr4
after reading a few threads about turbo choices im starting to second guess the turbos i am wanting to get garret gt28/71r sounds like it will be way to laggy ?

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Clutch arrived, flywheel has been ground and ready for new clutch. NPC item, very good quality, cant wait to fit it.

Yah my clutch arrived and the quality looks superb too, cant wait to fit it either, only 36 hours to go and counting :p

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Why is it that clutch pad material looks so thin? I would imagine it would be better (clutch would last longer) if the material was as thick as say a brake pad.

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
i just checked mine and theres prob at a guess 8-10mm of material there thats plenty

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Why is it that clutch pad material looks so thin? I would imagine it would be better (clutch would last longer) if the material was as thick as say a brake pad.

Nope. Its never very thick. The materials that are now used are very good and it's nothing like brake pad material. The clutch material almost has no weight at all unlike a brake pad. 2 very different materials doing 2 very different things.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Did't get much done today, had to leave after just on 2 hours. Lapped all but one valve in one of the heads. Broke the lapping tool:angry:, so will buy another on the way in tomorrow.
Its getting tantalisingly close now. Friday i plan to have all valves lapped and heads re-assembled. Cam covers should be back from bead blasting as well.:)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
THis is the best and worst part of an engine build I reckon.... on the one hand it's great to see it all coming together on the other hand now it's so close, you just want it finished now. Well that's how I feel anyway....

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Yep, and today was very frustrating. Didn't really get anything constructive done. I finished the valves, they're all lapped and good to go. Cleaned all the head bits but couldn't assemble them today, for various reasons, so i spent the day, cleaning and getting other bits ready once the heads are done and time comes for bolting on the accessories.
The rocker covers have been bead blasted and look newish again.

In the mean time, this is how she looks right now
IMG_0699.jpg

That said, tomorrow the heads will be assembled and with a bit of luck bolted onto the block...

Rockit, here are the pics you were chasing.
IMG_0698.jpg
IMG_0986.jpg

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Simon, just wondering what sealant did you use for the waterpump and the sump? I assumed that the pump came with its own gasket and the sump uses the cork type?! is that not the case with our engines?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Simon, just wondering what sealant did you use for the waterpump and the sump? I assumed that the pump came with its own gasket and the sump uses the cork type?! is that not the case with our engines?

No Christian, i used a gasket sealant as per Mitsu specs. Water pump uses a liquid sealer, as does the sump. Cork is way old school:cool: Plus they leak like mad! I used a cork gasket on one of my RB engines years ago, i had to pull the engine after a few months due to leaks.

The sealant is that nice red stuff you can see in the pics (y)

Top Bottom