6A13TT Engine rebuild

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
thought I have posted a reply already but can't seem to find it...

anyway.. thanks for posting all these pictures for us, this will definitely be handy when me and my dad do a rebuild on my engine..

btw.. with the oil pump, did you have before the cleaning shots? just curious to how it looks.. I would assume that its pretty clean..

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Hey Kristian, the first photo in post #80 is the before, the 3rd is the after;)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Hey Kristian, the first photo in post #80 is the before, the 3rd is the after;)

sorry, I should've been more clearer.. I was after some photos of the oil pump's internals before you had it cleaned..

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Looking great Simon. Did you clean them with just a standard gerny? BTW I really value hearing about the differences between Mitsi and nissy engines.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
sorry, I should've been more clearer.. I was after some photos of the oil pump's internals before you had it cleaned..

he he, same answer. The first pic in post #80 is the as how it looked when the backing plate came off!!

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
he he, same answer. The first pic in post #80 is the as how it looked when the backing plate came off!!

if that is your oil pump before cleaning it.. damn! that's so fresh looking.. curious to know if the RB series do look similar too or not..

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Hey Josh, yep just a standard gurney after i had soaked each part overnight in the kero bath and then clean it. Then it gets hit by the gurney.

Differences? There are many, but the one that i guess that's glaringly obvious is the Mitsu engine seems a better design. Now i'm not going to list everything but from what i've seen, Mitsu is better engineered. Other than the pathetic rods, it has much better potential.
The block is a nugget as well, but the week points are the rods and exhaust valve sizing. They're too small for decent power and will be the limiting factor.
That is a general observation.:D

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
So if someone was going with Garrett GT25xxR or GT28xxR series turbos and wanted 300kw ATW, what internal engine mods would you do? Exhaust ports and rods?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
So if someone was going with Garrett GT25xxR or GT28xxR series turbos and wanted 300kw ATW, what internal engine mods would you do? Exhaust ports and rods?

Yep, plus all the other usual stuff while its apart. I'd look into some larger lift cams as well. The duration seems fine, just not a lot of lift.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan

Sounds like you may be undertaking a project..? :p

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Simon, thanks dude. For the cams, change both the exhaust and intake cams, or just exhaust?

Tom, yes

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Simon, thanks dude. For the cams, change both the exhaust and intake cams, or just exhaust?

Brad, if you are going to do it incrementally, then i'd do your turbos and whatever else first and see what power/torque you end up with. If that achieves your goal, then fantastic. If not, id change both ex and inlet cams, but spend more time (porting) on the exhaust side. It is the limiting factor. The valves are quite small compared to the port size. If you can go 1mm oversize then do it. Spend a lot of attention on the short radius, and really clean up the entire bowl- its quite bad with its factory machining. You'll know what i'm talking about when you see it.
I wouldn't even bother with port matching UNTIL the valves are sorted. If that ends up being prohibitive cost wise, then just port it as best you can.

If you can manage it, spend the time and fit adjustable cam gears. When it comes to tuning, leaving the covers off so you can get at the cams. There is much benefit to be had there. It may not increase overall power but you'll be able to shift the power curve where you want it depending on the project and cam selection. Start with the standard ones first though. Hope that helps

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I've already got adjustable cam gears but they aren't on the car. Interesting about the exhaust ports and valve size, will mention it to the tuner!

Hopefully $15k will be enough for forged internals, ball bearing garrett's, all of the custom piping I'll need, cams and increased exhaust valve size. Ohh and injectors and possibly a bigger fuel pump.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I've already got adjustable cam gears but they aren't on the car. Interesting about the exhaust ports and valve size, will mention it to the tuner!

Hopefully $15k will be enough for forged internals, ball bearing garrett's, all of the custom piping I'll need, cams and increased exhaust valve size. Ohh and injectors and possibly a bigger fuel pump.
Sounds like you've got it all in hand then.
What size injectors are you looking at and DEFINATELY better fuel pump. Don't muck around, get a 044, depending on what base fuel pressure you run they'll be good for at least 450hp atw. Then, a single starts to become marginal. You can tune around it and just add more fuel but that's a band-aid option and with the amount of money spent on the engine, running 2 044's from a surge tank is cheap insurance. Plenty of room under the car for that. But with 400hp a single 044 will be fine.
Which Garrett are you looking at?

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Check out the GT2860, i'll be replacing my internals with these in a few months. They can produce about 330 hp each I think.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Check out the GT2860, i'll be replacing my internals with these in a few months. They can produce about 330 hp each I think.

For a daily driver they are too big, nothing below 4000rpm. i have these on my 3 litre GTR & they can flow up to 720hp of air. I use -7's on my 26, these are up to 310 each so bit over 600hp. My 26 made 450rwhp with them.
As i've said many times on here, if you really want to move your useable rev range severely to the right, go get em, but i'd stick with the GT2554's for response and mid range rather than outright power- but hey, thats just me.

What are you planning to use for rods?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Bosch 044's are loud external's though aren't they?

I think the GT2554R's might be just a bit too small and out of their efficiency range at the boost and flow that I will be looking for, may need to go to GT2860R's

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Bosch 044's are loud external's though aren't they?

I think the GT2554R's might be just a bit too small and out of their efficiency range at the boost and flow that I will be looking for, may need to go to GT2860R's
Brad, all the aftermarket fuel pumps are loud anyhow.... The Bosch is no different, they are just inline rather than in-tank... With the Walbro being dampened by the rear seats. :)

If I go the way im thinking I will be running a walbro in-tank and an Bosch 044 as well. :lol:

Top Bottom