jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Snickells, always welcome;)

Josh, yes the larger single bolts in the 2nd pic between the springs are the head bolts.
The lash and rockers are simple, they just sit on top. The lash just sits in its hole and the rocker sits on top of that and the valve spring! The rocker is held in place via the the camshaft sitting on top of it. It's a very simple and effective arrangement. You'll see what i mean once you've got the camshaft out.

I'm looking forward to this backyard rebuild progressing. i did make a small fcuk up while drilling out the breather cover rivets.....i drilled straight through the valve cover:blush: I'll have to get that welded up....doh

Bennoz

Petrol Sniffer
First Name
Ben
Drive
Mitsubishi FTO
Isn't that usually governed by the number imprinted on the head of the bolts?

mitsitorquesettings.jpg

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Simon do you know the torque ratings on the cam bolts?

Can only go off the 6A12 but i imagine it would be very similar? I had that manual but seem to have deleted it. :sad:

Can anyone that bought the workshop manual list some specs? I didn't buy it in the end after so many commented on how poor it was.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Looking good. You will have a blueprinted 0k's motor by the end of this. It'll be interesting to see what it dyno's brand new.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Looking good. You will have a blueprinted 0k's motor by the end of this. It'll be interesting to see what it dyno's brand new.

Balanced and blueprinted thank you:p

Plan for the worst and hope for the best! I don't think the output will change much, but it'll be new again;)

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
**Update**

A few pics at the bottom.

This arvo i attacked the lifters and cleaned them. Well, i did one side of the head at least. That took around an hour. There's 12 in each head and each one takes around 5 minutes each.
Mine were pretty clean although had 4 with stuck springs so it took a lot of fcuking around to free them:sad:. But victory was mine:D

I had one that had a decent amount of pitting in its head which is strange, probably had a chunk of carbon try and fight it's way through at some stage. I may replace that one..

I've included a shot of the inlet cam. The rear cam cap has an interesting gallery cover that's one piece. I just thought it was interesting and worthy of a picture

I used diesel and gloves as per Mitsu service schedule. Seems to work fine.

Here's a pic of the little suckers with an improvised tool and then the drill bit i ended up using. Will do the other head, maybe this weekend and then i'll send the heads in to get the valves and seats done.

Plan after than is to drill and clean the crank and then grub-screw it.
Probably order a new ring set and while that's coming do the clearances for the crank and rods.

It's slowly getting there;)

IMG_0220.jpg
IMG_0227.jpg

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
well done simon, lookin forward to results. what did use the diesel for? i might hav missed that

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
How many K's did the motor have on it in the first place? Whats the life of a lifter? The springs must fail eventually?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
It was very low km'. I really could put the bearings that came out of it back in. That should give you some indication. I could re-use the rings as well, but in the name of purity i won't. :cool:
^^They aren't throw away lines either. My engine guru in Sydney who's been building engines and all things mechanical for 40 years was super impressed with it's condition.

Absolutely, maybe not fail, but all mechanical things will wear out.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
**UPDATE**

Did a little more this arvo. I gave the dumps a clean up with the grinder, just smoothed out a few bumps and casting marks and matched them to the gaskets.
Did the same with the inlet manifold trumpet- the short joining piece that joins the plenum to the head. Again, nothing serious just some de-dagging and gasket matching.

No pics, you can't see alot with what i've done so didn't take any

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Well this project has stalled for some time, ran out of time and funds to complete it. Haven't been on OZVR4 for a while, time dominated by other things.
Leggy engine dropped its water and gave up the ghost on Tuesday so i plan on completing the rebuild in ~4 weeks. So Head will receive new seats stem seals and anything i see fit.
Ill try and keep this updated as i go.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
No shit man, that sucks! Good luck getting it all back together then, hope there are no more surprises waiting for you.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Rebuild underway finally.

Rings and bunch of other stuff ordered from Ralliart NZ 3 weeks for the rings to arrive.
The block was given the go ahead today for machining, so i hope to do all the prep work so when the rings and head bolts arrive, i can just go about assembling it!
New clutch from NPC as well.

Yes i'll update it with pics as i go...

I'm also upping the compression ratio as well:cool:

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Did you get the evo 6 clutch kit with lightened flywheel?? as this is the clutch kit im lookin at sourcing from these guys soon.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
stock rebuild or forged build?

either way, looking forward to this. i wanna crack 9000rpm one day

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Tim, nope NPC from Archerfield.
Just a stock rebuild Paul, its the wifes car, plus funds only go so far... Particularly when i have one of those N cars sitting here sans engine...

The engine would lend itself very well to NA and 6 throttle bodies;)

Top Bottom