ABS, TCL, skid light and red AYC lights all came on

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
1997 Galant VR4 and a very old cordia turbo
If you turn the TCL off does it turn the ASC off? If not how do you disable ASC?

I need to take variables out of the equation to isolate what the problem is.

What does the skidding car light actually mean?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
you need to pull the fuse in the engine bay for ASC.

The skidding car light means (in a normal healthy car) that either the tcl or asc is active

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
Right thanks.

OK that means the ASC could actually be the problem. AYC doesn't effect the front and the problem still occurs with TCL off. So that just leaves ASC and ABS.

Is the ASC fuse obvious? I know some of the others are not.

Just on the skidding car light - when it comes on it is flashing - which I presume means a fault?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
yeah if it is flashing constantly something is wrong. I replied on cvr4, there is a fuse in the main fuse box for the AYC, then another pair of fuses for the systems up near the passenger side A Pillar on the firewall

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
Thanks,

yeah I am posting in a few different spots / forums.

I can't identify the AYC fuse in the main fuse compartment, and the ASC box doesn't seem to contain fuses. Well they might be, but one looks like a heat sink and the other thing doesn't look much like a fuse (but could be I suppose).

In the daylight tomorrow I'll have a closer look. There was what looked like a power supply lead going into this box with a connector. May be able to just unplug it.

ps
To save you typing you don't need to reply in both forums. I am checking both. If you want to reply in both for info for other lurkers then thanks.

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
Some progress.

Driving with the engine compartment ABS fuse pulled - no problems. Put it back in and was able to replicate the problem twice within 10 minutes. Fuse out again and no problems for the next 10 minutes or so (I went to the shops and back).

So it is looking more and more like ABS TCL ASC. Of them TCL can be partially withdrawn because the problem will surface with the TCL switch off.

Had a close look at the ASC box near the A pillar. Definitely not fuses - two pieces of electronics. The earth lead looked a bit dodgy so I reconnected it properly - but it made no difference.

I would like to isolate ABS and ASC, but if I can't at least I have some general direction I can give a mechanic to look in.

Also when the problem occurred last I quickly pushed the car into neutral. The "braking"/grinding action continued. So not the transmission. Also with the car pointing straight it definitely pulled to the left.

I tried pulling the ABS fuse in the passenger compartment. However the AYC red light and all three bars also come on when I do that. The engine compartment fuse seems the better bet here.

Anybody know what the two fuses (passenger compartment and engine bay) do differently?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
From the code list thread here: http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2415

TCL 35 - Steering Sensor (ST-1, 2, N) line

AYC 31 - Steer Sensor (ST-1, ST-2, ST-N) System (break)

So you have a Steering Sensor problem. As for where exactly, that I can't get out the Japanese manual to well... so start looking for broken conductors around the steering column etc.

Did you inspect these wires/connectors like I suggested previously?
You may need to remove your air bag to get a decent look - do this with the battery disconnected to ensure it wont accidently discharge.

Mel-D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mel
Drive
2012 Ford Focus ST Manual,Tangerine. Evo 6 Blue manual.Had 2004 XR6 Falcon M11 Auto,Yellow GT stripes. 1999 Legnum Manual,White
This has happened to some of the guy's from several EVO sites that one of the teeth had been knocked the ABS rings. They found out by physically checking the ABS rings. It doen't seem they had any fault codes on the ABS but some had codes show up on AYC, if I am right the AYC feeds off the some of the ABS sensors it may be worth checking the ABS.Hope this helps. Mel

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
I haven't had a good look at steering column. Not something I would wish to do myself. I would prefer to pay someone else to do that.

The ABS rings seem a likely candidate. When I take it in it will be mentioned as something to check.

Basically I am just trying to narrow down the search parameters for the bloke who will be paid to fix it.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
If it is the ABS ring that is damaged, what will happen as soon as you press the brake is that the ABS light will come on, and the brake pedal will pulsate up and down as the ABS system kicks in because as far as the car is concerned, one wheel is locking up.

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
Well definitely not ABS ring then.

My hunch is that it is the ASC. I think I have ruled out AYC. TLC is all but ruled out because it happens with the TCL switched off.

Pulling the ABS fuse disconnects both ASC and ABS and the problem goes away. However I don't think an intermittent putting the brake on would be the ABS (it takes the brake off). However the ASC will and can apply brakes individually.

Anyway as it seems I cannot have ABS going with out ASC, or the opposite I am at the end of my diagnostic process.

I may look for a power lead to the ASC unit, but barring that I can't see what else I can do. I can't find a fuse just for the ASC.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
do you know if your ASC recall work has been done? Check out Big Ian's threads about his issues on CVR4. His ASC recall hasn't been done and I think that is what is causing him the problems which are fairly similar to your problems

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
I'll check that out a bit later today. I had a quick squiz at the japan website but my translator didn't work. I might try the doglemon (or whatever) site.

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
I think it has been done. Looking at what I think is the unit it didn't have the gas accumulator on it, the car has three Gs on the back and the following I got from babelfish which seems to indicate it has been done.

It just seems the fan recall hasn't been done. Assuming the compliancer didn't do it.

Number Contents Classification Notification day (Target date) Execution circumstance
1 The gear run, concerning the blower fan airflow control control equipment of [regunamu] and [asupaia] the recall 2005/04/12 Job unexecuted
2 Front suspension of 3 models such as gear run and [regunamu] (the lower arm) concerning the recall 2003/11/20 Work performance end
3 The gear run, concerning ASC of the [regunamu] VR-4 series the recall 2001/11/08 Work performance end
4 4 models such as gear run and [regunamu] (the 4WD car) concerning the fuel tank the recall 2000/07/26 Work performance end

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Is THAT what the Gs mean on the back window? I was wondering what those were. And they don't come off easy (I gave up)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Mine came off easy enough... Derek were you using a glass cleaning blade?? You can buy them from hardware stores, a little handle thing with a removable square blade in the end. Just make sure you use it in the right direction or you'll scratch your glass...

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Ah, no, I didn't try that hard actually. Just picked at the edge a bit. I might clean them off eventually lol

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
OK

1)

Does anybody definitively know what the skidding car light means - constant and flashing.

2)

It is definitely the ABS/ASC causing the problem. The thunking noise is the ABS working the brakes. It seems the car thinks it is skidding when it isn't.

I seem to have a steering sensor fault. ST 1. Anybody know where this is and how to check it out?

Top Bottom