ADVICE NEEDED, gear box whine

mustang21

Crunching Gears
First Name
ray
Drive
97 Legnum
hay guys, im looking at buying a 97 legnum,

it was an auto and now has an evo 5 gearbox in it, so i am told.

iv taken the car for a test drive, it feels tight and VERY nice to drive, but doing about 100km/h i backed off and let it just slow down, i could hear a whine. Now i think it was coming from the front, but the road was making alot of noise too.

when we got back i told the guy, and he checked the rear diff level. It was just above min,

The car is at a REALY good price, with rwc and reg, its just this whine thats killing me about it.

if anyone has any input plz help,

thank you,

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Could be a few things. Because it was when you backed off it won't be the turbos spinning, so most likely gearbox, transfer case or diff.

I'd drop the oil in all 3 and see if any of them are nasty in colour or have a ton of metal falling out.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
The guy let you drive it without coming along? Not that I think you'd be dishonest, but no way would I let someone test drive my car without me in it!

mustang21

Crunching Gears
First Name
ray
Drive
97 Legnum
he came alone, the one i saw b4, guy dident care, i was a little shocked too.

rear diff oil was clean as day,

do i stay away from this car ????

otherwise im looking at importing.

G

Unregistered
id be dubious, its not just a matter of putting a "evo 5 box in it" as it is NOT a bolt on/in.
which means he really doesnt know much about whats in there,

even if the fluids are clean doesnt mean the gearbox is fine,
fuilds might have been changed recently. might not have the right fluids in it.

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Nothing at the time, it was under warranty.

If it happened now, it would cost me for the bearings and I would do all the labour myself.

Generally that would take 2 days of time. First day to take the gearbox out, split it and get the bearings changed, the second to get it back in.

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
If you pay someone, you probably wont get any change out of ~$1100 as that seems pretty standard for anything which requires gearbox removal.

mustang21

Crunching Gears
First Name
ray
Drive
97 Legnum
I think i could live with that cost,

Did i read here somewhere too that its around 2k + shipping to get a gearbox from out good friends across the waters (nzl)

Im going down with my mechanic thursday, so i'll let ya all know how it go's.

I would love to have a legnum for the cruise on the 27th,

mustang21

Crunching Gears
First Name
ray
Drive
97 Legnum
ohhhhh . . . . . . . . . . . . . . opppppps

SORRY!

i dont know if i will be sober enuff to drive as i have a good mates house warming. Dam p plates,

mustang21

Crunching Gears
First Name
ray
Drive
97 Legnum
so im going to check out the car again 2night,

what should i be looking out for,

its not like i can ask him to dump the gear box oil, im hoping to make him pull out all the paper work for the gear box and everything else about the car, make sure km are legit and stuff,

also, is there any way to make the dash play its coads like on BMW so check that dash is lined up with that VIN ??????

any advice is much thanked.

thanks will come after advice :p

peace.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Sure you can. It is making a whine, you have to know what you are getting into.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Well, you can give him the option - say you're interested in the car, but the whine is something you're concerned about. Tell him if he's willing to change the transfer case, gearbox and rear diff oils to what you specify (ie the correct items) and show you what he gets out of them and there's no metal bits and the whine goes away then you're happy to commit to buying, and see what he says.

Oh, the reason I mentioned the rear diff is a number of people have noticed a whine from the AYC diff before the oil has been changed for new (correct) stuff, so even though you think its coming from the front it could be that instead...

mustang21

Crunching Gears
First Name
ray
Drive
97 Legnum
ya very right,

i had my mech come look at it, he recons its no huge deal, and we'll never be abel to get the whine out, as its from the gear box.

anyways, the cars got like 35,000km on the clock, yet it has broken CV joint front right, and the rears have been broken as u can see the stain in the guard.

i dont think the KM are real, how can i check ??

i know on my bmw, i can do a start up on the clock, and it spits numbers at you, and the 2nd set is the last 6 digest of the vin, anything like that on the legnums ???

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
If the km have been changed there's no way that we're aware of to check, and I doubt it would be possible - its just a number that's stored in a ROM chip. Apparently there IS a service that can check it for you against records in Japan. There's details floating around the forum somewhere about this, so Search may be able to find it. Otherwise talk to some import places about this and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Oh and if you have a whine from the gearbox you might be looking at new bearings somewhere down the line, so put aside $1500 for a rebuild...

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
i think this one is on carsales and is from NZ

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Oh and if you have a whine from the gearbox you might be looking at new bearings somewhere down the line, so put aside $1500 for a rebuild...

Ehe ehe Ahehehe HAHAHAHA, don't say that Trev, I don't wanna know :eek:

Top Bottom