advice needed, Auto or Manual, I can't decide!

formanth

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Anthony
Drive
2001 Legnum
G'day everyone, hope your mid-week is progressing ok!

I recently signed up to this forum (Club VR4 as well) and have decided to ignore the protests from my license and the stupid smirks of the petrol companies CEO's( who are rubbing their hands in gleeful anticpation) lol

Might get one already in Oz but for the moment my question concerns 2 that are in Nippon. With the wealth of experience here I hope you guys can help make that decision a little easier:)

If you had to choose between these 2 candidates based on this info, which would you probably get? (both are pre-facelifts)

Contestant numero uno- VR-4 4WD MANUAL!:drool: (but white),
Air Conditioning
Electric Windows,Power-assisted Steering
Key less entry
SRS Air Bag
ABS
Sun roof
16inc wheels (BBS)
CamBelt replaced at 96,996km
Clutch replaced at 96,996km
Service history paper

Or#2 (the tiptronic) VR-4 Type S 4WD
Silver
Air Conditioning
Electric Windows,Power-assisted Steering
SRS Air Bag
ABS
CD/CS stereo
After market 17inc wheels
History book

So..the manual has done higher km's, but has had the major service done( have pics of the papers showing timing belt,water pump and clutch were changed at 97k). All badging has been removed...definite sleeper.

but......the tiptronic has MUCH lower km's on the odo( well at least officially) , the duco is in better nick, has all badges and legnum lettering intact, 17 inch rims...and the silver looks better imo.

Yeah, I understand it comes down to personal preference.

sorry to stir the pot:p....(covering head with hands) lol.....

I want the manual( for future power up potential, rarer,) but Kristian from ICI reckon's the tip's just as good(if not better for city driving), as the manual's short(ish) 5th makes it less economical at highway speeds (around 3000 rpm @ 100km/h..true?). But I'll only be doing the occasional road trip, and I'm not buying a VR4 for the economy so it's no biggie.

I guess it's all theoretical anyway.. as an engine that's done 117k, driven on the expressways (but not thrashed) and serviced regularly is probably less clagged up than a 71k engine that's spent most of it's life behind a grandma going to her daily bonsai classes in her 660cc kei car :ROFLMAO:....

So lads (and lasses),over to you.
Go for the lower kilometre engine/body combo or go for grin factor 5 speed manual?

Much obliged,
Anth:)

p.s. girlfriend can drive a manual so no probs there.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
km's aren't a problem. tons of vr-4's are around that are well over 200km's.

The auto boxes aren't very reliable and will be especially bad over in Aus with the heat, if you want a bullet proof machine, the manual is a much better option.

Pity it is white

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Buy Hawks' car :) Its in the for sale section and is awesome!

Seriously though, there are plenty out there so I would keep hunting until you find the perfect one for you.

cheers

Lee

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
^^^ There are lots about already here (trading post, ebay, car point and on this forum) I personally would go for the tippy. These cars are so amazingly smooth to drive the manual makes me feel cruel.
But have a look around, get a few rides at meets and see what you think, as Lee said there are enough around now ya shouldn't have to hurry into one ya not completely happy with, IMHO :p

Cheers,
Jason

G

Unregistered
i would go the manual, who cares bout a few extra km's if the car is well maintained then there will be no or not many problems.
white can look vey atractive and also white has sunroof, i wish i had a sunroof.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Manual. Driving smoothly isn't difficult! And what's wrong with white?

formanth

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Anthony
Drive
2001 Legnum
Hi Mookers- nothing wrong with white at all, in fact, I think it's a decent colour on 'em and I'm not too fussed about which colour really.(had a white car b4, wouldn't mind a change).

Hi Brad, Lee, Jason & Joe!
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

Yeah, both types have their advantages I s'pose. I'm not in a real hurry yet and they say patience is a virtue...guess I'll keep my eyes peeled and see what turn's up and listen to any more input from more experienced members:)

Cheers,

Anth

G

Unregistered
If they are both pre-face then the second one isn't a type S ... What year are they both ?
I would go the manual if your considering modifying it quite a lot. Otherwise I would definately go the tip/silver/17" rims (that will look awesome) ... The tip box is fantastic, but I don't think it holds up to well when u start throwing alot more horse power in the equation.
Unless it has recaro's I would try find a Facelift Type S, the interior is alot nicer.

G

Unregistered
I might be wrong but a car that needed a clutch change less then 100k is a sure sign of a thrashed out snot box. as well as the water pump a sure sign of a hard working beast. But it may be me or a common thing for legnum.

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
i was just surprised how comfortable of a ride the tiptronic system is,if i can recomend anything,its go to a meet near to u and get someone from both manual and tip to take you for a drive and it will help you decide

the tipronic is not a huge change from manual,you can do most things manual can (not all) but legnums arnet made for "bombing big skidz" or anything like that so you dont exactly need to drop the clutch

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
A bit late coming in, but imo the auto boxes are pretty good provided you change the fluid every 20thou and install an Al cooler core. Lag in these cars is very minimal at about 2000rpm the turbos are already working and you can rev the auto box to 3000 with your foot on the brake and get a pretty good launch.:D

I've also found out the auto ecu does not need the afm or the stock engine ecu to run (just takes a bit of tinkering) as I'm looking at putting in an aftermarket ECU but keeping the auto.:)

Between the two, I'd go the auto.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Go the auto .... can hold a drink, pull 3 bars round a corner and not worry about grounching any troublesome gears! And white.....uggg really.....ha ha ha GO THE GREEN MACHINE!!

Nick

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
Aristo
The manual seems to be quicker than the auto off the line of course!
Even if you use the tip. Joe and I have had a few small runs off the lights. He always gets me when he hits third. We are running the same mods!

My advice, if you are a "driver" then get manual. If you dont care, then go auto. I am a "driver" and I dont like the auto. I wish I had manual.

all good advice from the boys though, so good luck with it, either way, they are a great car, auto or manual you will love the car!

Zild

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
1998 VR4 Galant
Auto's will generally be a tad slower because of torque converter.
Go for a manual, lots of fun!

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Manual for the win!

Auto's in Pre-Facelift ACTUALLY put out less power, without even losing it through the torque converter before the gearbox......

If they were facelift's though, my thoughts may have been quite different ;)

Dawso

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Easy solution. Buy 2 VR-4's, 1 of each.
That way you get to "Drive" when you feel like it and you get to cruise also.

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 galant type V manual
hahaha if only we all could have two vr4's! Go the manual. I settled for auto and i've been wishing it was manual ever since. Not saying i dont love my car, but i'd love it more with a third pedal under my feet :p

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
Manual. Driving smoothly isn't difficult! And what's wrong with white?
I dont like white as a rule...............but it does look nice on the Leggies. However, I wanted a SII Type S and the rubber between the flares goes a really crap looking yellow :(
I understand we can all drive smooth, what I meant was I wanna be harsh in a manual, lol. The tippy (IMHO) can be just a quick depending on launch/aggression, but ya get the option to lax out in traffic. For the record, I have never used drive in the 5k I have covered, lol

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
For all this talk about "having fun" has to be with a manual....get an EVO..remember it is a station wagon...I can pretty much bet that even with a prefacelift auto I could give most people on here a pretty good run for their money

Top Bottom