RxR

Crunching Gears
First Name
Haydn
Drive
1999 Legnum
Hey guys.

Im new to forums.

I have a Rottweiler puppy and thus need a big car wagon or ute. I am preferring a wagon so i can take 5 ppl or family if i get one. After being stuffed around witha VX wagon manual (costing me 400 bucks just to find out its a heap of !@#$) and remembering a friend looking for a legnum, i am now searching for my own.

I love Mitsu's and my previous car was a modded 4 door lancer manual till the hail destroyed it. Background on mods were simply aesthetic, body kit, rims, changed interior to black VRX, was in middle of finishing it off, sports muffler, CAI.

Am part of the MCA and MLGA. but havnt been on for so long due to not having a mitsu.

Therefore i was asking if members could pls give me advice on this legnum from car sales.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=8669260&__sid=129F577A94AD&__Qpb=true&Cr=0&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32%7c1%7c%7cpCar_PriceSort_Decimal%7c1%7c%7cpCar_Make_String%7c0%7c%7cpCar_Model_String%7c0&keywords=&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294964597%204294957255%20903&seot=1&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=8&silo=1011
does it compare to similar legnums? anythign standing out saying DONT buy?

I only want a manual, but i am guessing i could maybe deal with a trip tronic auto. how do the auto/tip tronics drive in turbo?

EDIT: realised it doesnt come with RWC....

thanks so much

RxR

Crunching Gears
First Name
Haydn
Drive
1999 Legnum
thanks mate
Yeah L2PLAY lancer lol.
I got my kit on everything then a month later it got smashed.
Was less than a coke can off the ground.

I was more meaning a general yeah the car looks ok etc.
Not specifics :p

MackTheKnife

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul Mc
Drive
'90 MX5 and '01 LR Freelander V6 Softback
Hold out for a manual, tiptronic isn't manual, it's just an auto that can hold gears a bit.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Paul, that's total bullshit man! The tiptronic gearbox is a far cry from any auto you'll find in a Commodore or a Ford. It's freaking fast off the line and as long as the wave spring has been fixed and a cooler is fitted will go hard for along time.

Haydn, I'd be more than happy to cruise out and have a look at it with you mate. Should only take a few mins to work out if it's fucked or not.

RxR

Crunching Gears
First Name
Haydn
Drive
1999 Legnum
ive spoken to him.
he believes there wont be much needed for a rwc he just hasnt had time to get it done. I have a friend who works at wandin motors and they can do a rwc check, he is happy to get it done there (as i trust them more than him getting it done at some random place) which is good also going to ask if the mechanic can just check it over, he even offered before that to get rwc checked, drop off before and pick up after work.

Snickells id love to take you up on that offer if your willing.
otherwise I should be able to get my dad to come with me. I am free tomorow during the day, friday ALL day. and working this weekend :( so only after 5.
He gets home at like 6pm.. which is dark :( but is free the weekend lol

IF anyone is interested manual BLACK legnum for 15K http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars...=true&__Nne=15&SearchAction=N&seot=1&__N=1216 1247 1282 1252 1246 4294964597 4294957255 903&silo=1011

RxR

Crunching Gears
First Name
Haydn
Drive
1999 Legnum
just rang the manual.
he is in keysborough, and was about to drop the price to 12.5K after seeing all the other price on legnums.
2.5K more for manual think ill go that :p haha and RWC.

Snickells would that be ok if you viewd that one with me? can only do sat or sunday morning at like 9am lol

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
hehe, what other forum would you get the owner and admin of the forum goin to look at a car with the newest member

ozvr4 is da bomb, good stuff stevo

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
lol, sorry Paul, I wasn't trying to shoot you down, I was just trying to build the Auto up a little, seeing how much better it is compared to any other Australian produced (year specific) release.

Telling a potential VR4 owner that it's "it's just an auto that can hold gears a bit" is implying that it's shit, which it really isn't. Prone to destruction due to a wacky design flaw, yea sure! But otherwise it's a bloody good gearbox with loads of potential. Remember, I am talking from experience seeing as I was the first dude in Australia to have to have one re-built.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I liked the Legnum box better than the DSG's actually, until it broke lol..... Personal preference maybe.

The auto box makes the VR4's feel far more refined than the manuals. And yes, I have had both ;)

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
talk to Lee (Hotwire) about the auto's

he's just build a super auto box, that'll probably hold more power then any manual hd clutch would

RxR

Crunching Gears
First Name
Haydn
Drive
1999 Legnum
you guys are confusing me! lol
I absolutely love manuals haha
preferring the stock manual over the modded auto so far.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Don't get us wrong Haydn, the manuals are great (Hence me having 2 manuals and 0 autos :)) but just don't rule them out ;)

MackTheKnife

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul Mc
Drive
'90 MX5 and '01 LR Freelander V6 Softback
Both gearboxes have their strong points, and the tiptronic is a direct relation of the one Porsche uses, so choose wisely.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The auto is the best auto I've driven, but it is still an auto which means:

It weighs 45kg more than a manual
It soaks up 7% or so additional power
It is harder and more expensive to rebuild
Auto VR-4's use more fuel, normally around 5-10%
Sometimes the change time (up and down) isn't consistant
You have to use a lot of more expensive fluid when changing the oil

RxR

Crunching Gears
First Name
Haydn
Drive
1999 Legnum
yeah aint that the truth.
took a friends VP auto out last night, prefer a clutch over as he call it 'neutral' bombing it lol plus it keeps both legs busy

more update on tha manual: has a small dent on a door but barely noticable was there apparently before he got it.
he has the stock air box on it, he used to have a pod filter and by brads signature im thankful its on.

Top Bottom