Air intake - how do I get turbo flutter?

sexspecvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
ADAM
Drive
GALANT VR4
just been looking under the bonnet of my galant and im thinking of doing a custon air intake with alloy or stainless hard piping do u guyes have any experance doing or has any one looked into doing this? i just want some turbo flutter!!!!!!!!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Which part do you mean? From the MAF to the turbo's? From the front of the car to the MAF, or from the turbos to the intercooler then onto the throttle body?

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
This might answer your question. Jacked from this thread.

the boost cut on a cold day is kinda common.

Remember these cars use a MAF which basically detect airflow, not boost. So if it sees airflow above its limit it will induce boost cut. Since the maf helps compensate for temperatures, it cuts it even easier in cold weather because of the denser air.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Well Adam, maybe it's me but I thought that the flutter sound was a sign that things aren't going well for the turbo setup?

Turbo Flutter explained, with response/retort

I may need to find something more with an engineering background and not some forum admin though.

Just curious :)

G

Unregistered
To get turbo flutter, remove the factory blow off valve, and block the holes.

And fit a pod filter, you will get mean flutter.

G

Unregistered
Stick some pigeons in the boot for even more flutter.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Carsten is right, do it that way and you'll get some interesting noises coming from the turbos

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Or put on a HKS Super Sequential Blow Off valve

Makes the sound you're after when you shift without damaging the turbos

Psssssshhhh-ptsh-tsh-tsh-tsh :ROFLMAO:

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
Or put on a HKS Super Sequential Blow Off valve

Makes the sound you're after when you shift without damaging the turbos

Psssssshhhh-ptsh-tsh-tsh-tsh :ROFLMAO:

never heard one do this to be honest - always been a whistle sounding blow off.

Also to amplify your compressor stall slowly leading to failing turbos, aka 'flutter', any metal piping will help, along with a shorter metal pipe to the turbos inlet will help. Also better flow back to the mouth of the turbos could also help, as the air to stall them would flow easier...

also yes, just tighten the blow off valve spring (if aftermarket and has an adjustment) or take it off all together and block the pipes. your choice. each will eventually damage your turbos, but it will sound great in the mean time.

djb160

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Dale
Drive
Legnum VR4 "Grimace"
Nissan Leaf
Ill hit up my friend coz he's got a bov that can make a flutter sound. The ones that do it legit have a bov that works well its how you boost that makes the difference. His you have to light boost and light decelerate an it makes an awesome flutter sound. Not terribly loud though, those one are guys trying to kill their turbo asap

G

Unregistered
never heard one do this to be honest - always been a whistle sounding blow off.

Also to amplify your compressor stall slowly leading to failing turbos, aka 'flutter', any metal piping will help, along with a shorter metal pipe to the turbos inlet will help. Also better flow back to the mouth of the turbos could also help, as the air to stall them would flow easier...

also yes, just tighten the blow off valve spring (if aftermarket and has an adjustment) or take it off all together and block the pipes. your choice. each will eventually damage your turbos, but it will sound great in the mean time.

The HKS flutter noise is mostly due to the spring tension..

See here for why it makes the distinctive noise: http://www.streetunit.com/HKS_SSQV_Kit_Nissan_Silvia_180SX_RPS13_PS13_p/71004-kn019.htm

Mine makes the flutter under medium amounts of boost, but makes a high pitched sort of squeek if you are doing a hard gear change and forcing the valve closed while there is still pressure in the pipework.

And yeah its a heck of lot different from turbo flutter, which has been said is a sure sign you are killing your turbos, with boost trying to get back out the way it came in. Which also means you have to spool all over again when you go back on the throttle..

Top Bottom