Air intake - how do I get turbo flutter?

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
ive had mine removed for over 2 months, and car is running perfect.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
lol steve just noticed your sig. god that photo is gold...

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
External wastegate = mega flutter......good luck fitting one in there though unless a single turbo conversion is on your cards

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
i dont see how an external wastegate would make a difference. the wastegate doesnt really have anything to do with it.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Hey steve, im bored during the holidays and have a pod filter and 38mm chair protectors lying around. Is it worth me quickly blocking off the bov and putting the pod on cos i really want flutter if only for a week or two lol. Just sounds cool.

What im basically asking is if i drove with the windows down would me and passers by on the street even notice it or is it too quiet. Car has stock cooler and piping and runs 13.5psi at the most

Scubasteve

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
96 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
Can't you buy a speaker on ebay that you put under your bonnet and rig it to your gear change that makes flutter. I'm just saying if your desperate. I understand tho flutter = orgasm :)

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Hey steve, im bored during the holidays and have a pod filter and 38mm chair protectors lying around. Is it worth me quickly blocking off the bov and putting the pod on cos i really want flutter if only for a week or two lol. Just sounds cool.

What im basically asking is if i drove with the windows down would me and passers by on the street even notice it or is it too quiet. Car has stock cooler and piping and runs 13.5psi at the most
yep u will defiantly hear it. its nothing like skyline flutter. but defiantly audible.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Yeah went out in my mates r34 with all stainless piping, fmic, turbo back zorst and pod filter and it got me wondering what it would be like coming from a legnum lol. Makes me want fmic, pod and hard pipes everywhere.
Going to give this a go on thursday i think, hopefully it will satisfy my needs for flutter lol.

Scubasteve

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
96 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
Mine came with HKS drift filter and running 13.5psi i get 12.5/100.

Now i retract that statementy befor the whole pod filter argument starts on another thread LOL

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
+1 for reduced performance and poor economy with a pod filter.
-1 for no affect on my car with the correct pod. say what you will, but im the one who drives my car, i had the car dead stock for 3 months, and now with a pod and without bov for 6 months and there is no noticeable change in how the car behaves. economy is just as good, if not better.

all the years ive had turbo cars, i never had someone go. wow dude ur car has awesome intake temperature, however they usually comment on how cool the car sounds. and if the sound of a car isnt an issue for u guys, why do u fit cat back exhausts. as i fitted (on my silvia) a 3" dump/front pipe and high flow cat and picked up 25kws. then after i added the rest of the exhaust which was also 3" and had very minimal gains (2-3kws). when u talking about such low gains, outside temperature will have more of an affect.

with a pod and bov removed on the vr4 with stock everything else, u get like a reverse induction type noise. like woosh from a really loud plumback bov.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Haha best half hour i ever spent workin on my car lol, im getting great flutter at about half throttle with 7~8psi and above that it just makes a single whoosh as steve says but even thats still pretty cool lol. Way better than i was expecting it to be. See how long it is before i get tired of it and put it back to normal now. More intake noise now too

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
lol u will never go back. u will look to upgrade ur fmic and piping to get better induction noise. oh and cooler intake temps, cant forget that ;)

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Yeah i was thinkin about front mount but dont tell anyone lol

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Matt,

could you take a driving vid? curious as to the sound of the blocked off setup.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Unfortunately i have put the bov back on as i didnt want to risk breaking anything. Will be taking it back off in a couple of weeks as i love the sound. Will try get a vid then, on another note the stock bov with a pod filter is really quite loud and sounds pretty good.

In the mean time maybe stevep can help or something.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Unfortunately i have put the bov back on as i didnt want to risk breaking anything. Will be taking it back off in a couple of weeks as i love the sound. Will try get a vid then, on another note the stock bov with a pod filter is really quite loud and sounds pretty good.

In the mean time maybe stevep can help or something.

cheers mate!

Steve are you up to it?

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I have a mate who blanked his BOV off with his licence. I thought that was a good effort.

Top Bottom