Air intake - how do I get turbo flutter?

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
I have a mate who blanked his BOV off with his licence. I thought that was a good effort.

that would be the first time it would have been used in a constructive way... the only time mine every sees the light of day is either buying alcohol or being pulled over for a license check. In saying that I have had the legnum for nearly 1 year and haven't been pulled over once... vs my old wrx where it was a daily occurrence...

Anyway.. back on topic..

How fantastic does this sound....

Does anyone on here run a Greddy Type RS? or even a Tial 50mm?
I love that note they make when venting... not just the woosh.. kind of like the sound of a internal gate on a big HP jap car; my old GT35R used to make it!

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
First one sounds like flutter to me, the guy probably has it set to hard or isnt hitting full boost. Sounds cool but

wretch

Idling at the Lights
First Name
nic
Drive
96 legnum
in my old s13 I for sometime ran no bov, then was given one so stuck it on, as an interesting point with no bov even on low to bugger all boost ie when the car was still spooling up I would get big flutter (had stainless intake etc which helped) yet on high it would make no noise or flutter or fart or anything, just sweet spool sound then gear change and more sweet spool sound, put the bov on and of course pfffttt! on boost, did it make a diff? not in my opinion, nothing noticeable anyway, the turbo was ran for approx 60k's without bov and was stripped down b4 new manifold went on and turbo was AOK... make up your own mind in the end, I think half of it is marketing BS to get us to buy bovs, at the end of the day the littel turbo's we run on vr4's are not exactly designed to run 30psi are they.... i dare say the small amount of boost they produce would not harm the turbo's without a bov, factory or otherwise.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
First one sounds like flutter to me, the guy probably has it set to hard or isnt hitting full boost. Sounds cool but

Agreed, without a doubt its compressor surge and a bov wound WAY to hard.... to me thats one of those relative "turbo" noises... as soon as I hear that I think of jap street racers

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
ive tried to take a voice recording on my phone, but it just sounds like static.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Well i have a friend who really wants me to bring the flutter back so ill probably put it back for a bit and when i do ill try record it with my mrs new video recorder. Ill try show the boost gauge too when i do cos it literally drops from say ten to seven psi and your straight back on boost.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
yo steve, what did you do about the vaccum line? block it off?

wesleyong

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
Lancer wagon 4G93T / 1999 Legnum VR-4
My car came with hard pipes, FMIC, pod filter with hot air induction and blow off valve removed. Yes it sounds like whoosh (like sneezing) all the time. I don't find the whoosh as satisfying as the flutter or violent BOV sound of my modded Lancer wagon. I'm going to have to wait till after the wedding to fork out an SSQV or something. I'm also thinking about sending my GFB Stealth which blew up on me back, and if they have some decency, give me a replacement new one! A BOV isn't rocket science, I can't believe mine blew apart! LAME.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
i just put my ssqv to plumb back today. good decision imo

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
i know dawso i know, but the car drives a bit different now so that good.

its only 3 hoseclams and im back scaring pedestrians all day.

offtopic, off what steve said, anyone looked into split dumps? that merge back in later?

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I'm thinking about fitting my spare ARC bov when I go hard pipes. Just for poos and laughies.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Well i took my bov off again today so me and my mate could record it tommorrow. On the way home from work it blew what i was using to blank off the bov clean off leaving me to fix the problem by the side of the road. So i dont think ill be able to help with video as not only do i no longer have the parts required to block it off properly but i dont want it popping off again. Decided i prefer the noise the stock bov makes with a pod anyway.

End CSB

Top Bottom